Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1998 or 2000 model?

12K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  c.morales 
#1 ·
Hi guys, been a little while since i have posted here.
Previously owned a zx6r c1h but my girlfriend was fed up of doing the wekly shopping on it lol.
The time has come for me to buy another bike and i WILL be buying a zx9r, question is..... which one?

1) was there much difference between the 1998 model and the 2000 model other than the headlamps?

2) what are the most common faults to look for when buying these bikes?

3) thank you for your input, karl :)

#6 · (Edited)
with a 2000 9r ur parts are the same up to 2003.

most guys do like the 2000-2003 head light.

you can find parts for both still.

some shops do have the 10 year back policy. that were they do not work on stuff older then 10 years depends on your area and shop.

truthfully 98 should cost less just due to age even if same condition as a 2000 so keep that in mind people dont put top dollar if they really want to sell.

Last check to see when or if that motor has been broke down and all the seal and gaskets were replaced. they dont last forever like some may think

just a list of stuff to think about

#9 ·
Issues are as follows
C1+C2 both shell out transmissions somewhere between 30k and 50k, luckily the newer trannies slip right in and are much tougher, no detachable subframe making them expensive to fix crash damage, warped brake rotors, can't bore out cylinders past 1mm, no rear ride height adjustments. In my opinion the C's are slightly more comfortable than the later bikes due to higher and narrower bars which reduce the weight on your wrists. C1's also have overly stiff suspensions for street use, C2's are a bit better. C's have more topend capability due to more aggressive intake cam and bigger ports.

E's have heavier steering but a little more frontend feedback and stability over the already very stable C's, Carburation is somewhat snatchy coming off of closed throttles especially at higher rpm's, lower but wider windshield over the C's, E1's have a tendency to break their frame on the left side on top of the frame in one of the bends

F's heavier but I have never heard of any real problems with them plus they have the cool braced swingarms and different front fairing stay instead of the one going up from frame like on the older bikes, carburation is fixed from the E's. E's and F's have better midrange than C's. The dual headlights are MUCH brighter than the C models single. The only common fault I've ever heard on ZX-9R's is the cam tensioner problems.

I got about 35k out of my first tranny in my C2, the cam chain tensioner went at about 25k. My front rotors lasted until around 40k. Other than those things it has been fine. Martian9r on this board has over 50k on his E1 with only the frame break problem and a seepy engine case, real weird issue he spread a thin coat of JB Weld on it and it quit seeping.

Also in your case since you're in the UK make sure you don't get one with a botched carb deicing system removal. I'm not sure if all UK bikes had them but I'm pretty sure some did, I'm also not sure if they actually helped the bike but you're cold humid air apparently can cause the carbs to ice up without the system which circulates warm coolant around the carbs.

Find a clean one of any vintage with low miles and enjoy riding one of the most capable all around motorcycles ever made. You can track day it, you can ride hard in the curves and you can throw soft bags on it and ride 500+ miles a day in relative comfort. If I had to replace mine I'd probably try to find an F model buy Heli-Bars, a Corbin seat, Double-Bubble windscreen, trasplant my suspension, engine and wheels and ride the hell out of it. I can't think of any current bikes that would fit the bill, they're either too uncomfortable, too heavy, don't handle or don't have enough power.

#11 ·
Supposedly a lot of minor changes were made from the C to the E model, but performance wise there doesn't seem to be much difference. Most of the 1/4 mile tests show the C with a slight edge even though HP is down a couple to the E model. The link below shows a direct comparison:

http://www.kgrant.co.uk/99v2000.htm

You can't go wrong either way. Like maut9r said, as an all around bike, you really can't do any better. When it came time to make room for a vette I recent bought, one of my bikes had to go and the Hayabusa lost. Other than all out top end speed, the old ZX9 did everything better...and was more fun doing it. Redline it once and you'll be hooked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.