Tips on how to avoid destroying the tranny? - KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 108 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Member
 
__2005zx6r__'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 46
   
Tips on how to avoid destroying the tranny?

Hey guys, just picked up an 05 zx6. Ive read a lot of threads about dog gears and shift forks going out. This is my 1st bike and id hate to destroy this thing. You guys have any tips?
__2005zx6r__ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 108 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 06:34 PM
Core Member
 
goingtoscotland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: On an intergalactic cruise, in my office
Posts: 28,589
           
Shift properly.

2005 ZX-10R Street and Track Whore

goingtoscotland is offline  
post #3 of 108 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Member
 
__2005zx6r__'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 46
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingtoscotland View Post
Shift properly.
Can you elaborate? I find myself holding in the clutch whenever I'm not accelerating and I know that's not good.. I actually bought it earlier today. With all the known tranny problems maybe this isn't the best starter bike. I do love it though.

Last edited by __2005zx6r__; 11-10-2012 at 07:03 PM.
__2005zx6r__ is offline  
post #4 of 108 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Core Member
 
SuperCheese88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 27,829
           
Take an MSF course, fuck up someone elses bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosaki View Post
I think women perceive reality in a different way kinda like different creatures perceive the light spectrum differently.
SuperCheese88 is offline  
post #5 of 108 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Core Member
 
goingtoscotland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: On an intergalactic cruise, in my office
Posts: 28,589
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by __2005zx6r__ View Post
Can you elaborate? I find myself holding in the clutch whenever I'm not accelerating and I know that's not good.. I actually bought it earlier today. With all the known tranny problems maybe this isn't the best starter bike. I do love it though.
It's not a good starter bike period.

2005 ZX-10R Street and Track Whore

goingtoscotland is offline  
post #6 of 108 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 07:47 PM
prs
Get off of my lawn Dammit
 
prs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Pennsylvania, USA 2005 Kawasaki ZX 6R (636) 2005 Suzuki GSX-R 750 ----2007 Suzuki DL650 WeeStrom
Posts: 32,977
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by __2005zx6r__ View Post
Can you elaborate? I find myself holding in the clutch whenever I'm not accelerating and I know that's not good.. I actually bought it earlier today. With all the known tranny problems maybe this isn't the best starter bike. I do love it though.

IMHO the "tranny problems" have been way overblown where this bike is concerned.

Also, sorry but I have to agree with GTS. This isn't a good starter bike in the best of scenarios let alone someone who doesn't know how to shift gears. Why in the heck are you holding the clutch lever in whenever you aren't accelerating??? This is why I say the tranny problems are overblown.....because people who have said problems don't know how to ride. If you know it's not good why are you doing it?

Sent from my transistor AM radio using my IDGAF app.
prs is offline  
post #7 of 108 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
ZX6RRNewbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 15,931
           
Just ride the hell out of it. You'll be OK like PRS said, tranny problems are blown way out of proportion.

Shifting properly is about all you can do to take care of the transmission. That an learning how to ride properly.

If this is your first bike the transmission is the least of your worries.

Wear your gear and....
Practice!
Practice!
Practice!

And always have fun!


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

from BEAUTIFUL AUSTIN TEXAS
2006 Lime Green ZX6R
ZX6RRNewbie is offline  
post #8 of 108 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Member
 
__2005zx6r__'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 46
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX6RRNewbie View Post
Just ride the hell out of it. You'll be OK like PRS said, tranny problems are blown way out of proportion.

Shifting properly is about all you can do to take care of the transmission. That an learning how to ride properly.

If this is your first bike the transmission is the least of your worries.

Wear your gear and....
Practice!
Practice!
Practice!

And always have fun!


Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App
Thanks a lot man, I appreciate it
__2005zx6r__ is offline  
post #9 of 108 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Member
 
__2005zx6r__'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 46
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by prs View Post
IMHO the "tranny problems" have been way overblown where this bike is concerned.

Also, sorry but I have to agree with GTS. This isn't a good starter bike in the best of scenarios let alone someone who doesn't know how to shift gears. Why in the heck are you holding the clutch lever in whenever you aren't accelerating??? This is why I say the tranny problems are overblown.....because people who have said problems don't know how to ride. If you know it's not good why are you doing it?
It's my first day dude, idk I'm nervous. If I accidentally goose it, the bike will just rev and not throw me off the back. When I'm down shifting, do I release the clutch in each gear? Or can I for example go from 5th to 2nd clicking down 3 times without releasing the clutch ?
__2005zx6r__ is offline  
post #10 of 108 (permalink) Old 11-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Sev
The Indifference Engine
 
Sev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
Posts: 5,993
           
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by __2005zx6r__ View Post
It's my first day dude, idk I'm nervous. If I accidentally goose it, the bike will just rev and not throw me off the back. When I'm down shifting, do I release the clutch in each gear? Or can I for example go from 5th to 2nd clicking down 3 times without releasing the clutch ?
Take a rider training course fer Christ sakes. You can't learn to ride on a forum. And you're going to develop a million bad habits.

Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.


Sev is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome