Changing oil on a 2009 ZX6R
• First of all, changing the oil can be done without completely removing the fairings. I just happened to have them all off for a tutorial I put together on how to take them off. While it can be done, having them off does make it easier.
• Remove the lower fairings. (reference http://www.kawiforums.com/2009-zx-6r...-tutorial.html
• Let the bike warm up for a few minutes to thin the oil out and make it drain easier.
• Place a pan under the drain plug. (be sure to open the drain plug and vent in the pan if it is like mine, ask me how I know)
• Loosen the oil filler cap (leave it on) and remove the drain plug with a 17mm socket. I like to wear nitrile or latex gloves to make cleanup a bit easier.
• Let oil drain for a few minutes.
• The positioning of the oil filter is pretty awkward and likes to drip oil all over the side of your engine. I tried to make a little shield out of aluminum foil but it didn’t help much. If anybody has any suggestions on how to keep things clean I’m all ears.
• Remove the oil filter. (unfortunately there aren’t many pictures after this step as the process got pretty messy)
• Fill the new oil filter with oil and put some oil on the o-ring.
• Replace the washer on the drain plug with a new one, reinstall and torque to 21 ft/lb.
• Install new oil filter torquing it to 13 ft/lb.
• Remove oil filler cap and add oil.
• The engine will require 3.1 L of oil with a filter change (including the oil you poured into the filter) or 2.8 L if filter is not removed.
• Fill until you see oil between the two marks in the sight glass.
• Run the bike for a minute or three (make sure the oil icon on the LCD turns off after a few seconds, if it doesn’t you may have a problem) to let the oil circulate through the engine and filter.
• Turn the bike off and let the oil drain back into the oil pan. This will take a few minutes.
• Check the sight glass again and add oil until the oil level comes up between the two indicator lines again. (see previous pic)
And for your convenience, a .pdf copy of the above.
RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting