Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Has anyone fabricated their own GIVI monorack arms for the 2009 Ninja 650R?

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  bakerbj2@msn.com 
#1 ·

Because on my bike, I have the V35 sidecases, mounted using the PLX449KIT (to mount the V35's WITHOUT using the FZ449)

I noticed that the PLX449KIT's only difference from the FZ449 is the "grab handles" are longer to be able to mount to the monokey M5 plate.

So all I would need to do is fab up a metal or aluminum "grab handle extension" and weld it to the PLX449KIT's "grab handles".

Oh BTW... judging from the "sideview pic" @ Cases, Side Hardbags, Soft Luggages, Screens, Spoilers KAWASAKI ER-6N / NINJA 650R
... if I used the FZ449 mounting bracket kit, any TOPCASE I put on, looks like IT WONT FIT due to my Corbin gunfighter lady seat w/ passenger backrest sticks out back too far!

My Corbin seat passenger backrest is MORE sturdy and comfortable, than using the V46 TOPCASE as a backrest. So that ISNT an option to my GF!!!​

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Ok, after talking to one of my co-workers. (equipment mechanic) He said it would turn out Better, if I just ordered the V46 Topcase, FZ449. Install them onto the bike and see if my Corbin gunfighter seat's lady passenger backrest touches the V46 Topcase or not. If the Topcase CANNOT be put on, due to not enuff clearence from the Corbin backrest, then he'll just cut/chop the FZ monorack Arms off and fab/weld up some metal to "extend" them out more, say 2-3". To allow room for the V46 Topcase & backrest!

#3 ·
My wife uses the top box as a back rest and has no complaints, but I know there is a pad available that fixes to the top box.
Might not be as comfortable as the gunfighter backrest, but I believe it would not fit without modification like you mentioned.

#4 ·
I will post up some PICs, once I recieve my V46 Topcase & FZ449 kit.

Then, other ppl that have/are bought GIVI's luggage and a Corbin seat w/lady backrest will be able to SEE if it all "Fits". Before they decide to buy!

I Originally planned and wanted to put the GIVI V35s onto my bike, with the Corbin seat w/lady backrest. Spent the extra $228 for corbins backrest. Ouch!
But at the time, I picked 2 friends brains about them fabb'in up a backrest for me and they couldnt come up with any good ideas. Neither could I.

So, for the last 3 months my GF and I, have Enjoyed the V35's and Corbin on several local 1-2 day trips.

It's just now that I realize, that getting a V46 topcase would just add MORE longer trip distance/Fun! :D

I will report back with the 411, but I might make another THREAD for it.

stay tuned...

#5 ·
Ok, Today I installed my Givi V46 topcase and monorack FZ arms and hardware!

Everything FITs with my Corbin gunfighter lady seat with backrest! No modification was needed!!! :D
So Im posting these Pics for those of you like me, that are curious as to how it all fits together, BEFORE BUYING, being 100% sure!

The bottom back of the backrest itself, slightly touches n rubs on the topcase. Not a big deal. The topcase is open to FULLY OPEN with the Corbin on! Allowing you to put your items in the topcase without issue! :)

Only problem is this, if you wanna put the Topcase back ON while the Corbin is on. You CANT! The V46 will only fit if the Corbin seat is taken OFF first!
However, the V46 topcase CAN BE TAKEN OFF with the Corbin seat on.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.