Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Official MotoGP Drama Thread SPOILERS!!!!

808K views 10K replies 227 participants last post by  joonyaboy 
#1 ·
So I figured I'd start a thread to discuss any drama related to MotoGP, in particular what riders will go where.

So here are a few topics to get things:

1. Will Rossi stay with Yamaha? There seems to be a new golden boy in the garage in the form of Lorenzo, is there enough room for 2 #1 riders. That, combined with the whole differenent tire manufacturers could begin to be a strain for Yamaha.

2. When and where will Ben Spies move to MotoGP. He's said he definetely wants to make the move, and I think he is as ready as he will ever be. It appeared to be a done deal that he would be coming to Suzuki in 09 for a factory ride, but I've also read about trouble with the sponsor wanting a spanish rider instead of the american.

3. Will Hayden leave Honda? This has been rumored for years. The HRC spot is widely coveted, and Hayden has had his critics since day one. Despite winning Honda it's most recent championship, it's widely known that he still isn't their number one rider. And with Dovisioso looking impressive so far, it seems very plausible for HRC to look to another young gun from the 250 school. It was thought Hayden might move to Ducati in 08, until he finally resigned for this season. But what about 09? Melandri doesn't seem to be a good fit for the Ducati, but if anyone else besides Stoner can tame the beast, it's gotta be Hayden. Supposedly their riding styles are pretty similar.

4. Who will replace Ant West at Kawi? Of course it hasn't been determined that West will be released, but I can't imagine them putting up with the poor performances he has had so far this year much longer. Kawi has been throwig a ton of resources into their program to become competitive. I suspect they will go after another big name to compliment Hopkins. So who will it be? Marco? Hayden? Spies? Rossi? Sounds crazy, but they are all possible candidates.

5. Will Edwards leave GP? Before the season started, it was reported that this would be his last year in GP, witha move to AMA likely. But it appears he has gotten some renewed motivation recently. He is saying he wants to stay, and with his performance so far this season, I'd imagine he would be able to find a ride, even if the Tech team wanted to release him.

6. Who is the next young gun to immerge from 250? It looks like the talented Bautista is prime to make the move. Haven't heard anything specific about him, but there has to be some talking going on.

Ok, that's all I have for now. A bit more than I planned on bringing up, but I get carried away with this stuff. I love it. It's like my version of a soap opera since I don't watch any of that crap on tv.

See less See more
#3 ·
1. Will Rossi stay with Yamaha? There seems to be a new golden boy in the garage in the form of Lorenzo, is there enough room for 2 #1 riders. That, combined with the whole differenent tire manufacturers could begin to be a strain for Yamaha.
Yah there are rumours that he will get choked out sponsorship wise because of Telefonica. But regardless, the past two races show him in top form. It's prolly too early to tell what will happen. But as of now Rossi IS MotoGP, whether he wins or not...people WANT to see him

2. When and where will Ben Spies move to MotoGP. He's said he definetely wants to make the move, and I think he is as ready as he will ever be. It appeared to be a done deal that he would be coming to Suzuki in 09 for a factory ride, but I've also read about trouble with the sponsor wanting a spanish rider instead of the american.
I'm real curious to see how he does at Laguna and Indy MotoGP's.

3. Will Hayden leave Honda? This has been rumored for years. The HRC spot is widely coveted, and Hayden has had his critics since day one. Despite winning Honda it's most recent championship, it's widely known that he still isn't their number one rider. And with Dovisioso looking impressive so far, it seems very plausible for HRC to look to another young gun from the 250 school.
I like Dovi...hope he continues to do well

4. Who will replace Ant West at Kawi? Of course it hasn't been determined that West will be released, but I can't imagine them putting up with the poor performances he has had so far this year much longer. Kawi has been throwig a ton of resources into their program to become competitive. I suspect they will go after another big name to compliment Hopkins. So who will it be? Marco? Hayden? Spies? Rossi? Sounds crazy, but they are all possible candidates.

Marco seems like a likely reality. I like Vermulean...but dunno if he is available.

5. Will Edwards leave GP? Before the season started, it was reported that this would be his last year in GP, witha move to AMA likely. But it appears he has gotten some renewed motivation recently. He is saying he wants to stay, and with his performance so far this season, I'd imagine he would be able to find a ride, even if the Tech team wanted to release him.
I think Tech Trois will bend over backwards for him if he continues this trek. One thing about him though is that he does make simple mistakes during races that cost him placement. If he can stay focused he could def place 3rd or 4th this year in the championship

You just reminded me about an article about the 250. Lemme go post it

#4 ·
1) If Rossi doesn't win the title back this season, he'll retire I think. He's nearing the end of his career and has said that he would like to retire from Yamaha, but I think he sees the writing on the wall. if he secures the title again, then I say he'll be back for one more year, but if not, he'll be done. he likes to win and hates to lose or play second fiddle. Lorenzo is Yamaha's new golden boy. I don't like his personality but I have to give him props as a rider.

2) I agree, we'll have to see what he does as the wild card in those races, but I think Loris will retire after this season with suzuki. Sure he's said he feels like he has one or two more seasons in him, but he hasn't exactly wowed anyone since joining Suzuki, neither has Vermulen for that matter. Spies could bring some fresh ideas to the package.

3) I hope Hayden does leave Honda at the end of this season. I'd say either Kawi or Ducati, but something about seeing him in the ubiuquitous red suit, I can't see it. He may be the only one to bring BOTH Ducati's to the level that Dingo is at since he's proved that he's the only one who can ride the thing. Loris was dissapointing last season and Marco is abyssmal this season with it. Dingo's package this year certainly hasn't been what it was in 07.

4) I agree, Melandri, or maybe Nicky Hayden. I seriously doubt RL Hayden would ever get a bump up to MotoGP. Sure he does the wildcard rides but with his injury hopefully he will still participate.

5) If he continues on his trend, Tech 3 would be dumb to drop him. He's a great test/development rider. Sure he does choke a lot in the race but they should stick with him. He said he want's to stay for another year at least. I'd give him one more year and then I see him going to AMA or back to WSBK.

6) Bautista, but i admit that I don't follow the 125 or 250 that much. Maybe the finnish guy from KTM, he's seemed pretty decent if you ask me.

#6 ·
strat1701, so you think Edwards would really go back to AMA? Has anyone ever done that? Would seem kinda like a wuss out thing to do right? Kinda like Kobe Bryant going back to college to play. WSBK seems more side-steppish

#9 ·
yeah HRC is royally sticking it to Hayden if you ask me. Yes I believe in Qatar he had certain components of the 07 bike while Mini me had more newer components. Neither will agree to 'race' the pnuematic valve engine live in a race, which is why HRC is having a wild card rider in Mugello who will run a Honda RC212v with the pnuematic valves. remember what happened last year when Yamaha made rossi use the pnuematic valve engine at the GP of San marino? HRC is tooling their bike around their number 1 rider, Pedrosa. Even when Hayden was HRC's number 1 rider, he was still the testing guinea pig. How else in 06 could he have had the mech issues he did with his clutch all season long. They (HRC) saw mini me's potential and didn't want him not making points that season (06) so HRC could have an excellent shot at the title. They won it, but undoubtably focused all of their attention onto mini me for 07 and definetly now this season. Hayden I hope he leaves them soon. He would probably fit the Ducati well but I can't see him in a red suit. I think he'd be better at Kawi but I don't think he and Hopper get along that much.

#12 ·
He would probably fit the Ducati well but I can't see him in a red suit. I think he'd be better at Kawi but I don't think he and Hopper get along that much.
That would be my dream team right there, two Americans on Kawi's!

But why don't they get along with each other? I have always kinda wondered about that. They seemed to get along back during their AMA days didn't they? I'd imagine Hopkins is a little envious of Nicky going to a top team and winning a championship, something he probably feels he could have done with better equipment. There was also that incident at Laguna last year that probably didn't help relations. But I always thought it was more of a rivalry than a dislike.

I don't know, I think Hayden would look great in green. And his family has ties to Kawasaki and Monster Energy through Rog, so I guess that helps. But one of Nicky's big sponsors is Red Bull. That could get interesting. As competitive as Monster and Red Bull have become lately, I wouldn't put it past them to try and steal Nicky away.

#11 ·
Awesome thread!

I am really excited to see Spies go to Moto GP and think he should have gone this year. Hopefully he will ride for a manufacturer who will give him more respect than Honda gives Hayden. Wouldn't mind to see him go to Kawi if Suzuki's sponsor wants a Spanish rider.

I also think that its pitiful the way HRC treats a Champion like Hayden every year. I can't stand to see mini me at the front every race with the bike tailor made to him while Hayden has to struggle with his equipment. HRC are a bunch of bums. Too bad he didn't go to the Duke after his Championship year. I would love to see him go their next year for sure.

It's also too bad Roger got hurt cuz I would like to see him have a future in Moto GP as well. He seems to be much better on a 600 vs a 1000 and from what i see Moto GP bikes are closer to AMA 600 than 1000 as far as riding style. Hopefully he can still do a few wild cards.

I would also like to see Edwards continue on in WSBK or AMA if Moto GP doesn't work out.

#14 ·
Ant will be gone by mid-season (after Laguna Seca). His comments after the Le Mans race saying that he couldn't use any throttle while leaned over without spinning up the rear wheel tells us that either there was a mechanical problem, or a major settings problem. How can you work on set-up from Friday to Sunday and then end of with such a disastrous performance? Ant's in charge of his ride and his performance has been abysmal.

I hate to say it, but I think Kawi Racing needs to pick either MotoGP or World Superbike and concentrate on that one program to put all their resources into. They have demonstrated over the past few years that they cannot support both efforts.

#15 ·
Ok here is what I know so far on the MOTOGP rumor talk

Kevin Schwantz will be given a Suzuki satellite team or possible Team manager for Factory suzuki. Either way Schwantz wants Ben Spies in his garage so be on the look out for an extra suzuki out there.

http://www.fasterandfaster.net/2008/04/kevin-schwantz-back-in-motogp-in-2009.html

Rossi for 2009?

IMO there are to many factors to take in to consideration as far as Rossi quitting or not. I dont think he will quit just yet, he just equaled Nieto's total win record and next would be to equal and pass Agostini's record. With that in mind he would have to win all of the following rounds to achieve that. As competitive as it has been this year, I dont see that happening therefore I see Rossi in it for a few more years.

As to him being with Yamaha next year, thats up in the air also, last rumor I heard was Kawi and rossi talking

http://www.thebikerplace.com/rossi-rumours-off-to-kawasaki-for-2009/

Hayden, what can I say he has been done wrong by HRC and IMO I see him going to a satellite team next year.

Ant and Hopkins and Team green this year.

IMO Ant will stay for the full season, and on the record both riders and have major rear grip problems exiting the turns not just Ant. Ant is a great rider, he had a hella of a season last year and is in a major slump this year mentally. He has moved to belguim to be closer to the team manager Micheal Bartholemy and everyone has been there for ant in terms of encouraging him to get back in to the groove.

Some said that Kawi obvioulsy can't manage or fund both teams, WSBK and MOTOGP, please keep in mind KHI "Kawasaki heavy industries" has boat loads and boat loads of money more so then most of their motorcycle competitors. Secondly this is the 2nd season that Kawasaki officially took over the Motogp team. Also the WSBK kawasaki team is not factory backed therfore KHI has nothing to do in WSBK.

Thats all I have for now hope to see everyones input great thread!

#16 ·
Rossi for 2009?

IMO there are to many factors to take in to consideration as far as Rossi quitting or not. I dont think he will quit just yet, he just equaled Nieto's total win record and next would be to equal and pass Agostini's record. With that in mind he would have to win all of the following rounds to achieve that. As competitive as it has been this year, I dont see that happening therefore I see Rossi in it for a few more years.

As to him being with Yamaha next year, thats up in the air also, last rumor I heard was Kawi and rossi talking

http://www.thebikerplace.com/rossi-rumours-off-to-kawasaki-for-2009/

That's old article, and i doubt it's true as this says they've never talked.

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2008/Bartholemy+No+contact+between+Kawasaki+and+Valentino+Rossi

Plus, he says that he's close to renewing his contract with the tuning forks. They've (the tuning forks) have answered his pleas by making the M1 more competetive as it was shite last year. He got his rubber wish and he got a complete package with a far superior bike than last year. Kawi's lacks a lot. Rossi is not one to take on a developmental role, no matter how much cash they threw at him. Here's the article where he says he's close to renewing with Yamaha:

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2008/Rossi+claims+Yamaha+renewal+very+likely

My $$$'s on him with the tuning forks for at least one more year, with opt out option.

#18 ·
Oh yeah another big topic no one has mentioned is that in 2010 the 250cc class maybe obsolete. There are talks of a lower cc motogp class, still wanting them to be a prototype class, other links I have seen mention them to be production 600cc, who knows but from what I see its all due honda not wanting to continue developing 250's....

http://www.fasterandfaster.net/2007/09/motogp-600s-to-replace-250s-in-2010.html

http://www.motogpnews.com/home.php?pageid=1056

http://www.batifans.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=7985

#24 ·
Good News:

It looks like Colin Edwards has been talking with Kawasaki about taking Ant's ride for 2009. I have always like Edwards and would love to see him in green.

Bad News:

Roger Lee Hayden will not be riding as a wildcard in the laguna and indy gp's this year like previously planned. What a shame, I really wanted to see him on a gp bike again after his good performance last year.

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2008/Edwards+Kawasaki+discussions+confirmed

#25 ·
#26 ·
Edwards should be trying to finangle another year out of Yamaha if you ask me. He's doing very well there, and if he went to Kawi, I doubt he'd be putting up decent numbers. They run bridgestone too and as far as I can recall he's never run on those. Plus, Kawi's bike is so far behind if you ask me as well. Edwards, yeah he's a good rider, but again, not top 3 championship material if you ask me, same as Hopper. I like em both but they are inconsistent and do make mistakes more than others. I think Edwards should stay where he is for next year, especially if he has a good result this year, say top 7 or 6 is possible.

#27 ·
Edwards should be trying to finangle another year out of Yamaha if you ask me. He's doing very well there, and if he went to Kawi, I doubt he'd be putting up decent numbers. They run bridgestone too and as far as I can recall he's never run on those. Plus, Kawi's bike is so far behind if you ask me as well. Edwards, yeah he's a good rider, but again, not top 3 championship material if you ask me, same as Hopper. I like em both but they are inconsistent and do make mistakes more than others. I think Edwards should stay where he is for next year, especially if he has a good result this year, say top 7 or 6 is possible.
You are assuming Yamaha will offer him a ride next year, which isn't a given.

#29 ·
***********MUGELLO SPOILER*******
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!

Don't Read this if you haven't seen the Mugello GP yet!!!!!

Rossi's has made a triumphant return to greatness the last few weeks, absolutely dominating races like he has done so many times in the past. Many people were counting him out after a couple mediocre years (well mediocre for Rossi anyway). Even I was questioning whether he was on his way out, but after the last few races, I think it's safe to say that he has easily secured a ride with yamaha next year and proved to all the doubters that he is still the man. The latest news I read was that it was 90% that he would be resigning with Yamaha. The only question was whether it would be a one or two year deal. So much for Lorenzo being their new golden boy.

Kawasaki...well what can I say, they are really dropping the ball. Hopkins was unable to finish yet again due to mechanical problems, and he is not happy with team green right now, which is understandable. He has shown he has the speed to be a top 5 guy if his bike would just get him there. As for Ant, he is blaming his poor performance on the bike as well, saying it just won't hook up exiting the turns. He may be telling the truth, it may be the bikes fault, but I still think his days are numbered in GP. And as for the "screamer" engine... who knows. I had hopes that it would be ready by now, but from what I'm reading, it may not even make it into a race in 08.

Hayden had a dreadful result after starting strong. With how much time he was losing toward the end, it had to be something mechanical, he is better than that. Good news for him is that the long awaited pneumatic valve engine that was used for the first time in a race by their test rider finished without any problems. We may seem Nicky riding it soon, but I have a feeling it's too little too late. I just don't see Honda resigning him for 09.

Alex DeAngelis put in an incredible ride. He suprised everyone and was one of the fastest people on the track. If it wasn't for a shitty start, he may have been on the podium. After a slow start to the season, many were questioning his move to GP saying it was too early. He hasn't had anywhere near the success of the other rookies, but this result certainly helps justify the move. If he can finish the year strong, there may be some factory teams taking a closer look at him.

That's all I got for now, discuss:

#30 ·
Not reading any of the spoilers. But I'm sitting here at home watching all the racing today. WSBK race #1, AMA supersport, AMA superbike, WSBK race #2, then GP at 7PM a little later.

Good day for racing. Gonna be parked on the couch for a while.

#31 ·
Moto GP

Things did not go well for Team Green today. Hopper's bike broke down and he was lucky to walk away from a crash without serious injuries.

Hopper is apparently frustrated with the bike as this is the second race in a row that he had a mechanical failure. I don't know what is wrong with the bike. I have been under the impression that the bike was a decent one and with a good rider like Hopper it could produce results. Now I'm not so sure.

As for Ant West someone please buy him a bus ticket back to Australia as he has been a disaster this year. He has placed last again of those bikes that finished the race. Time for him to start packing.

I disagree with the previous poster who says that Colin Edwards is the answer. A better fit would be Marco Melandri who is young and talented and is dying to leave Ducati as his frustration with their bike is obvious. Marco would look good in green leathers.

I think Edwards days' with Moto GP are numbered and he is not getting any younger. Furthermore, there is much more upside with Marco Melandri.

#32 · (Edited)
Wow what a Moto GP race. Glad to see Stoner on the podium but Nicky and Hopper's bikes ran like crap. I sure hope Nicky doesn't sign with HRC for next year, hell he would be better with any no factory team for next year rather than Honda. He almost got beat by their other test rider.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WARNING AMA SPOILER BELOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome day for Spies, nice to finally see someone break up the Suzuki podiums, Hacker looked awesome.

#33 · (Edited)
Spoiler Alert: Mugello

Can't believe Ant West got beat by the test rider :(

Maybe the bike is getting left in the dust in comparison to the new Honda and Yamaha. They really need that screamer NOW!!!

Although it was a boring race...I was glad to see Rossi up there...now he has a real chance and I think it will make the others fight even harder

Stoner: Def doesn't want Rossi to win or he will be considered a fluke
Pedrosa: Def doesn't want Rossi to win cause he's "nextinline" for a championship...he wants to trade in that #2 for #1 and rub it Vale's face
Whorehey: Well, he was just a bit too ambitious this round
Hayden: Who?? :p

Awesome day for Spies, nice to finally see someone break up the Suzuki podiums, Hacker looked awesome.
I haven't watched that race yet....:mad:

#37 ·
Great POST all together. I'll post some good ol MotoGP drama as it comes myself since its all I lived for overseas (besides my wife and children... thats how close it is to me). Great race... I love the Rossi win; but so wanted the assmunch Danny-Boy to fall back to fourth!!! I wish Kawi had a good running (no mechanical f-ups) but hey, its kawi and we love them so we can't hate on them. Keep up the updates and when I get some SOUP motogp DIRT I'll throw it in!!!! God its good to be back in the USA!!!

#40 ·
hahaha Kawasaki needs new everything. Hopkins just cant develop the bike cause its shit. The mechanics cant produce a good bike cause their shit, and Any West hes just shit period IMO. Kawasaki have produced so much shit in motogp thats all they no how to do. They should poach a chief engineer from a successful team or semi successful one and build it again from scratch. Get a new rider, Melandri would do and keep Hopkins as a secondary rider, get rid of Ant west hes just taking up valuable riding/testing time for them.

#42 ·
Kawi has always been a weak team if you ask me. 2 DNF's in a row for hopkins. This time his quick shifter failed and he had no choice but to run right off the track at the end of the 200mph straight, unable to downshift fast enough for the turn. With his chain snapping last race, and now this, I'd be lookin to roll some heads if I were Hopper. West still complaining about the traction issue as always, but now a lot are just saying it's a combo of a small tech problem and his head. I dunno, I've always thought that Kawi's GP project needed massive development. let's face it, Hopper isn't the best development rider if you ask me, look how many years he was "developing" the suzuki and only coming into form last year. Granted I want kawi to do well but they need a complete overhaul of everything sans Hopper. Also, (and correct me if I'm wrong) but they chose to "continue" development on the 07 ZXRR instead of a total new design of an 08ZXRR. Could be the problem too. Maybe a new package all together is what Kawi needs. Plus it could be the green color, they should use their candy plasma blue, then they'd win! :D

#43 ·
Kawi has always been a weak team if you ask me. 2 DNF's in a row for hopkins. This time his quick shifter failed and he had no choice but to run right off the track at the end of the 200mph straight, unable to downshift fast enough for the turn. With his chain snapping last race, and now this, I'd be lookin to roll some heads if I were Hopper. West still complaining about the traction issue as always, but now a lot are just saying it's a combo of a small tech problem and his head. I dunno, I've always thought that Kawi's GP project needed massive development. let's face it, Hopper isn't the best development rider if you ask me, look how many years he was "developing" the suzuki and only coming into form last year. Granted I want kawi to do well but they need a complete overhaul of everything sans Hopper. Also, (and correct me if I'm wrong) but they chose to "continue" development on the 07 ZXRR instead of a total new design of an 08ZXRR. Could be the problem too. Maybe a new package all together is what Kawi needs. Plus it could be the green color, they should use their candy plasma blue, then they'd win! :D
It's easy to say they should just start from scratch, but that's pretty much what they did for 07 by getting rid of Eckl and bringing the team in house. I don't think cleaning house makes sense at this point. The team is still very young, give em a little more time. But yeah, West needs to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.