Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

HELP. Opinion on price of bike(2008 zx6r).

7K views 75 replies 23 participants last post by  J_Fuggin_T 
#1 · (Edited)

Update 26NOV2012
Dealer now offered $7500 shipped

Hello kawiforums,

I recently had the urge to buy a green 2008 zx6r and i'd like to hear other individuals opinions before going through with it. The mileage is whats sticking out to me the most and i understand i would still have to comply with the break in process.

How bad of shape could this bike possibly be in? It was "taken care of" by a dealership. just curious.

Bike info:
-Model:Green 2008 ZX6R
-Mileage:19
-Dealer Asking Price:$7,499
-Price shipped to my door:$7,500
which does not include tax, title, or
registration in my home state
(originally dealer wanted $7900)
-Does not come with a warranty
-Dealership is Monroe Motorsports in MI
ACTUAL LINK
2008 Kawasaki Ninja Zx-6r, Monroe MI - 103623112 - Cycletrader.com
PICS:

got new pics of the bike

My main questions are:
-Is $7,500 a fair price shipped? even though tax, title and registration aren't included?
-Is the price fair considering the mileage of the bike?
-Buying a used bike with no warranty? Good or bad?
I'm not really sure about these things myself and I would like to hear other opinions. Thanks to anyone who responds or shares their thoughts, no matter how positive or negative.

See less See more
#10 ·
In July this year I bought my 09 from a dealer and the bike had absolutely 0 miles on it. It was still under factory warranty and I walked out the door with 9200 less in my pocket. It seemed like a good price so that's why I took it. And damn it if kawasaki didn't come out with the new 636 a few months later... I wish I would have known about it sooner or I would have waited. But she still looks good anyway ;) Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Green

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#11 ·
I may be wrong, but I dont think 08's came with monster fairings. They look really close to ebay style ones.

#19 ·
I'd pass......You can get a newer bike for $7000+ Pass up the offer, i'd bet that they would go down in price and give you a call back

because no one in their right mind will ever buy a 4 year old bike for more the Invoice price..

It would just sit there

#23 ·
I'm working on pounds so my estimate might be a bit off but heres how i see it.

A brand new zx6r will set you back almost 9k GBP = 14k USD

This bike is 4 years old, barely used and going for 7.5k USD = 4.6k GBP

All vehicles lose 25% of their value as soon as they leave the show room floor. So on the day that bike first left the show room its value dropped to about 11k USD = 6.8 GBP.

Lose another 25% after the first year and its worth 8k USD = 4.9 GBP

If it was 2 - 3 years old and in mint condition I would snatch it up. But after 4 years, I think the price is a bit too steep, especially if its been sat a while because it may need a good servicing to get it running properly.

#27 ·
I'm working on pounds so my estimate might be a bit off but heres how i see it.

A brand new zx6r will set you back almost 9k GBP = 14k USD

This bike is 4 years old, barely used and going for 7.5k USD = 4.6k GBP
Your math doesn't match the prices here. A new 08 went for $9099 MSRP. Now the new 2013 goes for $11599 MSRP.

Why pay 8k for a 4 year old bike that was 9k to begin with?

Like some others were saying, the servicing will alone cost a few hundred, by now the tires may be not properly balanced or lopsided since it has sat in the exact same position for 4 or almost 5 years.

You would need to siphon out all fuel from fuel tank. Put seafoam and new fuel in. Oil change minimum, probably have to lube chain.

Properly inspect tires for worn areas or lumps.

Will most definitely will have a dead battery, you would probably have to replace it.

The absolute only way i would pay even close to 8k would be if they did all these things and included all taxes and fees associated.

But that will not happen so run away, run far away...

#25 ·
Yeah, of course I'm assuming the worst case scenario with regards to its condition because i dont know how its been kept but you need to consider if they prepped the bike for an extended period of not being used as with winterising.

1. Has it been sitting on its tires all that time or have they had the wheels off the ground. If you have flat spots on the tires your looking at around 150 GBP about 250 USD for new tires.

2. How old/contaminated is the petrol. Did they add stabiliser to it or do you need to flush the carbs. If you do thats another 80 GBP - 150 USD

3. Is the battery charged? Cant remember what a new battery costs these days but you get the idea.

Ultimately I dont know the bike or exactly how long its been sitting for or what kind of conditions its been kept under.

At best the bike is in mint condition in which case if you dont buy it, someone else will. Like a second hand car dealer once told me... theres always another sucker standing in line behind you with more cash than brains! But based on age alone I think the asking price is too high. He is essentially asking for what it was worth 2 years ago!

If the bike needs anything doing to it at all then the price is definately too high.

Reactions: nike_air
#31 ·
Your math doesn't match the prices here. A new 08 went for $9099 MSRP. Now the new 2013 goes for $11599 MSRP.

Why pay 8k for a 4 year old bike that was 9k to begin with?

Like some others were saying, the servicing will alone cost a few hundred, by now the tires may be not properly balanced or lopsided since it has sat in the exact same position for 4 or almost 5 years.

You would need to siphon out all fuel from fuel tank. Put seafoam and new fuel in. Oil change minimum, probably have to lube chain.

Properly inspect tires for worn areas or lumps.

Will most definitely will have a dead battery, you would probably have to replace it.

The absolute only way i would pay even close to 8k would be if they did all these things and included all taxes and fees associated.

But that will not happen so run away, run far away...
I did say that I was working off the prices on the kawi UK website so that wont have taken the US prices into account and I was using a currency converter so I know the pricing was off. The point was to illustrate how quickly bikes lose value through depreciation. They lose 25% of their value as soon as you drive it off the show room floor. Then even if the bike was kept garaged in mint condition for 4 years, the bike would still lose 25% of its value every year.

Hope that explains matters. Otherwise I absolutely agree with what shinobi and the others have said... he's asking way too much for a 4 year old bike even IF it is in mint condition.

#35 ·
Yeah... now if it were an old Aprillia and it had Chesterfield all over it, that would be a problem as most countries in the world have a ban on tobacco advertising these days :D

#40 · (Edited)
The gauge cluster prob came from a bike that was totaled after 19 miles...car fax doesn't do bikes

In any case, this bike has red flags all over the place ...I should call them and request detailed pics

EDIT: ok so I call and spoke to lucas....he said the mileage is low because it sat in a museum...says he'll shoot me some pics within the hr

#44 ·
I'd agree, but if you've ever been to Barber motorcycle museum they have some mass production bikes as well.

I don't see the appeal of this particular bike. Things are sketchy. There are a ton of other 07/08's out there.

-Will
The appeal was the low mileage and that it was advertised as a demo, with my research indicating a warranty may have possibly been available. I know everyone has been stating. "OMG DECALS ARE GAY!!!" which i agree with, but didnt care about since they are removable.

Ok he sent me the shit...I asked for detailed pics of the rear suspension,fairing underbelly inside and out, and pics of the cluster showing the mileage...but this is what I got
Based on these pics and other pics i recieved i didn't see anything wrong with the tires, or anything at all for that matter, cosmetically at least. did you? or anyone else?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.