Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Best Winter Gloves?

3K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  climb21cj 
#1 ·
What are the best winter gloves? It is getting cold up here. I do fine in it except for my hands that always freeze and make me have to quit early. I would prefer the warmest gloves, but also would like them to have some dexterity and not be 5" thick.

#2 ·
I'm interested in the same thing! Getting some new moto gear for Christmas.. and I definitely don't want to stop riding during cold weather. My hands just get absolutely frozen in 50 degree weather though, and my neck/chin/cheeks/face.... I just toughed it out last year, but I want better gear for this season!

#4 ·
I've been using some skiing gloves that I got form Eastern Mountain Sports. I can look at them later for the model information, but they work pretty good and are nice and water proof. They even have a squeegie, except its on the throttle hand so they clearly weren't intended for motorcycles.

#5 ·
Originally posted by trig
I've seen those little face and neck deals and there like 11 bucks at cyclegear.
I've really been considering picking some of those up.. Sort of like ninja masks, if we're talking about the same thing, right? Like a thermal face protector? [8D]

#7 ·
Yea exactly man, I'm gonna probably pick one up next weekend just because I can stand everything else but my neck and mouth gets facking numb as hell.

Hooray for Ninja masks!
when your cheeks are so cold they're numb, you're asking to catch a cold.. I don't like being sick. It's important to me to keep my chest, and my face/head warm.

I can tolerate basically everything else, but need some well rounded gear anyway. I have warm weather gear and moderately cool weather gear, but need something for coldddddddd (brrrrrr!) weather.

#8 ·
I've been thinking about the same thing. It's not quite cold here yet, but it's gonna be pretty soon I'm afraid. The leaves are just starting to change at certain places in TN.

My biggest concerns are my hands, neck/face, and knees. The knees aren't usually brought up, but there is no meat to insulate them and they can really start to get cold if you don't have the right kind of pants on. I have some pants with knee pads that kept me pretty warm last weekend. Hopefully they will work this winter, maybe have to combine with long johns.

I'm going to bike up one of those ninja masks too. Besides keeping you warm, you look like a badass. :D

As far as gloves, I need something warm but not cumbersome. Last winter I would just double up with a pair of thin leather gloves under my vented Alpine star gloves. Still pretty good dexterity and warmer than the one pair by themselves. Probably not as good as a pair of real MC cold weather gloves, though. Any suggestions other than ski gloves (which I think is really bad idea since they won't hold up under a crash).

#9 ·
Face and Neck thing being a Balaclava. Drivers wear them in just about every racing motorsport (except I'm not sure they make the overweight ******** wear them in Nascar...)

They should stock balaclava's in any decent dealership, and Cycle Gear has them. (except for the one by me, because they suck ass)

As for winter gloves...I highly recommend Dainese Jerico gloves. They have the dexterity of your average summer glove, because they're Dainese. Unfortunately, they also have the price of your average left nut. Because they're Dainese. =)

#12 ·
Originally posted by ZeRo_C0oL
My hands just get absolutely frozen in 50 degree weather though, and my neck/chin/cheeks/face.... I just toughed it out last year, but I want better gear for this season!

that is absolutely hillarious. Maybe it's because I'm from michigan and 50 degrees means you can go out in a mesh jacket and gloves. I guess that means that you've never been caught out before in the 20's- 30's without your liner huh? I'm glad to know that it doesn't get that cold here in the south tho... I'm looking forward to this winter.

NOW, on another note. Icon makes a nice pair of leather gloves. They're $44. Very comfortable, never wore them in the cold. But i'm more than likely sure that I'm going to buy a pair. Also VERY padded

Follow this link to cycle gears "cold and rain gear section"
http://cyclegear.com/cat_disp_new_col2.cfm?L1=3&L2=14

Follow this link to the gloves I was talking about
http://cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=3&L2=15&L3=&L4=&item=PAR_i401-202_G

#14 ·
Originally posted by Chicagois2

that is absolutely hillarious. Maybe it's because I'm from michigan and 50 degrees means you can go out in a mesh jacket and gloves. I guess that means that you've never been caught out before in the 20's- 30's without your liner huh? I'm glad to know that it doesn't get that cold here in the south tho... I'm looking forward to this winter.

NOW, on another note. Icon makes a nice pair of leather gloves. They're $44. Very comfortable, never wore them in the cold. But i'm more than likely sure that I'm going to buy a pair. Also VERY padded

Follow this link to cycle gears "cold and rain gear section"
http://cyclegear.com/cat_disp_new_col2.cfm?L1=3&L2=14

Follow this link to the gloves I was talking about
http://cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=3&L2=15&L3=&L4=&item=PAR_i401-202_G
Maybe 50 was a bad number to use.. I don't know. I just made up a temperature.

I rode last year when there was snow on the ground so long as the roads were safe.. so I guess it was probably colder than 50.

#17 ·

You say balaclava I say ninja mask, same think. Slacker.
Bah...ninja masks are for people who kick ass. Balaclavas were made for people who sit around ice fishing eating Lefse. And Balaclavas keep you warmer, because Ninja masks were made out of silk. :D

Hey, trig...here's an idea. When you install your spooner and 43hp chip, you should also make a ninja mask for the front end of your bike, and put that on too. That'd be bad ass. =)

#18 ·
Its true, my skiing gloves don't offer much protection, but for cold and wet weather they are great, maybe I should look into getting something that would hold up better in a crash.

#19 ·
Originally posted by Chicagois2

I'm glad to know that it doesn't get that cold here in the south tho... I'm looking forward to this winter.

you will be pleasantly surprised at the number of good riding days we have here in Georgia through the winter. Last winter (Jan-March) I rode to work everyday, minus a few wet ones (<50 degrees). In march we had a couple of wet <40 degree days, i got stuck out in one of those. Before January though, we have plenty of >50deg days/nights. I did get a baclava for XMas, and that was nice.

Also I heard the Under Armor undershirt is a good insulator, and thin, which is nice cuz my thermals make my jackets extra snug.

As for gloves, i am going to get the Joe Rocket Nitrogen Gloves, which have an extra layer of insulation, gel pad, and leather outer:

http://www.newenough.com/joe_rocket_nitrogen_gloves_page.htm

I currently use the Joe Rocket Ballistic Gloves, which say they are waterproof, but mine only stay dry for maybe 15 minutes in a downpour, they also dont withstand the cold above 40mph:

http://www.newenough.com/joe_rocket_ballistic_5point0_gloves_page.htm

The ballistics also make the controls feel numb. when i have a good grip on the handle, its hard to extend my fingers to grab the levers. its not impossible, but i have to make an effort to do so. i also feel like the clutch doesn't release fast when i let go, i know it isn't the clutch cuz it works fine with my other gloves(olympia street), but it seems like the glove hinders my fingers from extending quickly. maybe i got the wrong size??? never thought about that :(

#20 ·
http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/...4302282045&bmUID=1160482564306&bmLocale=en_US

I bought this last year at the HD dealer. It's completely made of fleece and it is warm. When the temp got down to the low-50's-40's I wore this with a half helmet and no windshield on my cruiser. Kept me pretty warm...eventually I bought a full-face helmet to macth my bike. Both together and you will forget our cold it is!!

#21 ·
When you put a 'mask' on, then slide your helmet over it.. does the 'mask' usually stay in place or is it going to be a pain in the ass to adjust so that you can see once you've got the helmet on? I can already see people laughing at me.. :D

#22 ·
When you put a 'mask' on, then slide your helmet over it.. does the 'mask' usually stay in place or is it going to be a pain in the ass to adjust so that you can see once you've got the helmet on? I can already see people laughing at me.. :D
I've never worn a balaclava, but when you see the racers put their helmets on over it, it doesn't really move at all. Just don't get some super huge one.

#23 ·
Thanks for the link to the TourMaster gloves. Might pick up a set.

I'll ride as long as it's above freezing and the roads are reasonably clear of salt, cinders and ice. Lots of riding in the low 40's on sunny winter afternoons. I just wear long underwear (ski gear), a neck gaitor (more ski gear), and an older pair of leather/textile ski gloves that are lined with GoreTex (wind/waterproof) and insulated with some space-age NASA stuff. They're a bit bulky, but its not a problem for an all-day ride. My usual textile outer gear (jacket and pants) are pretty much wind and water-proof too. I stay warm and don't feel like the Michelin man. At least not too much.

#24 ·
I'm thinking I'm going to use a balaclava, long underwear, blue jeans, and my leather jacket. I'm debating on whether or not to get dressed at work or before work. I'm not sure how warm khaki's will be..even with long johns. Anyone else have the Alpine star T-Stunter Mesh jacket? I'm not sure how warm that will be with the liner. Otherwise, I've still got Michigan in my blood and can deal with a little cold. Hell, I've played football in the snow before...this wont kill me

#25 ·
Tell me about it, I can't wait till I put on my ipod head phones, slide over my ninja mask, and put my helmet on without undoing anything.

This will be interesting...[^]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.