Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Big Bore - Torque Plate

7K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  whitehendrix 
#1 ·
Do you guys provide a torque plate when having the cylinder bored?

#2 ·
the shop should be able to mill one out. most people aren't going to have a tq plate available when they drop the jugs off. i am really wondering if it'd affect anything on a steel liner aluminum block anyway. theres not gonna be alot of deflection transfer there i don't think. not like a nikasil block or car motor..

#4 ·
OK, I hear everyone say that they should be in torque plates to accurately measure bores, and I’m OK with that, although Strato9r makes a good point in that even in torque plates the cylinders won’t have the same profile as they will when they’re warmed up/hot from actual combustion, so how much error does THAT induce? I most assuredly want to doing this right, but:

a) I don’t want to spend money for service I’m perfectly capable of performing myself, given good guidance from experts with experience.
b) I have more faith in my abilities than I would a (currently) unknown mechanic who may not have the same vested interest as I do.
c) I want to establish whether my parts are still in good shape and therefore reusable.

Harley says I can measure bores in a torque plate, but says you can’t measure pistons, so how would a reputable shop do that to confirm moving parts and fixed parts mate? In other words, how do I know if the pistons are worn, regardless of bore condition?

#5 ·
not sure if spam, or very confused.

btw.. a torque plate is not used to measure a bore. a torque plate is used to MACHINE a bore under a deck load to maintain concentricity in the bore itself when the head is bolted down.

i cant find a pic of what i saw once (an extreme case) of a bore that damn near had a pentagon shape to it after boring when it was torqued down. causes the rings to not seat..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.