11-29-2012, 10:28 PM
Join Date: Nov 2012
Fuel issues - please help!!
hi zxr riders
I have a query that i have not seen anyone through forums online have had in the past so i really hope you can help me. i just bought this 1990 ZX250 and was running fine when i test ride it and to top it off i ride the bike home which is at least 100km from where i bought it. however, the other day i went for a ride after 10mins of riding it started surging and cut out on me, obviously no fuel was getting to the carbs.
OK, so what is happening is my fuel tap (res,on,pri) is not draining now when it is attached to the fuel line/fuel filter, however when i disconnect a hose from the fuel filter it flows fine (set on 'Pri' that is), that also goes for when i start the motor up and set it to 'RES' or 'ON' it flows fine.
NOTE: The test for the tap was when the tank's lid is closed and tells me its not an air-lock, i have also tried opening it when the hoses are connected but still no fuel flows.
So the things i have done and thought it might be is:
- A blockage in the fuel hoses, but i have pulled all of them apart and blown compressed air and cleaned them all.
- Diaphragm issues in the tap or the other unit by the handle bars, but it proves to work of cause as it is sucking fuel when the hoses arent connected.
- Carb blockage, But i cleaned this and re-installed it yet hasn't fixed the issue.
- Tank debris, but i have cleaned this also and drain all old fuel.
- Fuel filter, Replaced and clean.
- Do i need a specific fuel filter that allows a form of breathing hole to allow fuel to flow when connected?
- have you come across this situation before?
- Is there something else i need to be checking?
Anyway i may have missed some things in this email but please let me know some ideas and will be great if you know what my issue is here