» Sponsors





» Insurance
Go Back   KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
New User? Register - Forgot Password

KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums (http://www.kawiforums.com/forums.php)
-   Ninja 250R (http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-250r/)
-   -   Snorkel Removal? (http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-250r/125644-snorkel-removal.html)

JBird 11-17-2008 11:24 PM

Snorkel Removal?
 
I know there was a post similar to this, but it seemed to have lots of mixed opinions on the subject. I'm putting on a Two Bros s/o and doing the Dynojet this weekend when I have time off from work. I've been planning on removing the snorkel as well.

My question is whether or not you all recommend it, at least everyone who has done it. I wanted to ask and see if people's opinions had changed since that original post went up and there's been time to ride it out. Thanks for the input!

kkim 11-18-2008 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBird (Post 1455245)
I know there was a post similar to this, but it seemed to have lots of mixed opinions on the subject. I'm putting on a Two Bros s/o and doing the Dynojet this weekend when I have time off from work. I've been planning on removing the snorkel as well.

My question is whether or not you all recommend it, at least everyone who has done it. I wanted to ask and see if people's opinions had changed since that original post went up and there's been time to ride it out. Thanks for the input!

do you understand exactly what removing the snorkel does and how it relates to the bikes ability to make more power?

VeX 11-18-2008 12:21 AM

My snorkel is firmly in place on my airbox! It doesn't seem to have any effect on anything :p

JBird 11-18-2008 03:19 AM

I believe I do, I mean obviously there will be more air comng into the bike. And with the re-jet I'd be able to balance out the air/fuel ratio, thus delivering more 'power' to the bike. Is this right, or am I mistaken?

I think it seems like a very good idea to do, but I saw several people saying their bike didn't seem to run as well. However I believe these people didn't re-jet.

kkim 11-18-2008 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBird (Post 1455425)
I believe I do, I mean obviously there will be more air comng into the bike. And with the re-jet I'd be able to balance out the air/fuel ratio, thus delivering more 'power' to the bike. Is this right, or am I mistaken?




I think it seems like a very good idea to do, but I saw several people saying their bike didn't seem to run as well. However I believe these people didn't re-jet.

Yeah, my point was that if you are thinking of rejetting, to me would mean you are looking for a performance increase. Increasing airflow/reducing intake restriction is one key to producing more power. By removing the snorkel, you are indeed increasing the amount of air that is made available to the engine with less restriction.

And you are correct, again, in that the people that had problems were those that did not rejet to compensate for the leaner condition removing the snorkel brings.

My advice is to first select the exhaust you want, select the intake configuration you want, then jet accordingly. The jetting database in the DIY sticky will give you some basic guidelines on where to start with your jetting once the intake and exhaust choices are made.

JBird 11-18-2008 03:52 AM

Okay thanks, I assumed that was where most people were encountering problems! I didn't want to make a mistake I'd wish to change after going through the whole re-jetting process. Thank you very much for the insight, I thought it was just like my car... the air intake makes it faster. Thanks again, I'll post how it goes (if I like it that is ha.)

Additionally, kkim you answered my last post too about the sprocket swap. I've searched these posts and google, yahoo, etc. and I can not find a 13 tooth sprocket. Where did you purchase yours from? I'm shocked I can't find one anywhere; I feel like I'm missing something!

kkim 11-18-2008 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBird (Post 1455432)
Okay thanks, I assumed that was where most people were encountering problems! I didn't want to make a mistake I'd wish to change after going through the whole re-jetting process. Thank you very much for the insight, I thought it was just like my car... the air intake makes it faster. Thanks again, I'll post how it goes (if I like it that is ha.)

Additionally, kkim you answered my last post too about the sprocket swap. I've searched these posts and google, yahoo, etc. and I can not find a 13 tooth sprocket. Where did you purchase yours from? I'm shocked I can't find one anywhere; I feel like I'm missing something!

http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-250r/119953-anyone-have-good-source-13t-cs-sprocket.html

JBird 11-18-2008 04:40 AM

Thank you very much, it seems you had the same problems I encountered trying to find the CS sprocket. Now I didn't realize I would have to shim the sprocket to fit. I'll be completely honest in saying that I'm not sure if either of these applications will work without shimming them. Hopefully you can tell me without much hassle. If you have time to help me out here's the links:

http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/5831...aki-ex250.html

http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/1030...-sprocket.html

Thanks

VeX 11-18-2008 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBird (Post 1455442)
Thank you very much, it seems you had the same problems I encountered trying to find the CS sprocket. Now I didn't realize I would have to shim the sprocket to fit. I'll be completely honest in saying that I'm not sure if either of these applications will work without shimming them. Hopefully you can tell me without much hassle. If you have time to help me out here's the links:

http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/5831...aki-ex250.html

http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/1030...-sprocket.html

Thanks

Personally if I was going to stunt a bike out and wanted as much torque as I could get, I'd shy away from first stepping down to a 13T front sprocket. Have you considered stepping the rear sprocket up? A 48T rear sprocket would have essentially the same effect as a 13T front sprocket.

One overlooked aspect to sprockets is the sharpness of the angle of the chain. The smaller the front sprocket the tighter the turn the chain has to take (think lots of friction).

kkim 11-18-2008 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBird (Post 1455442)
Thank you very much, it seems you had the same problems I encountered trying to find the CS sprocket. Now I didn't realize I would have to shim the sprocket to fit. I'll be completely honest in saying that I'm not sure if either of these applications will work without shimming them. Hopefully you can tell me without much hassle. If you have time to help me out here's the links:

http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/5831...aki-ex250.html

http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/1030...-sprocket.html

Thanks

Both should be shimmed as they are applications for the previous gen 250s. Those who have done this say it is not really necessary to shim, so you should be able to get by without the shims. It really is only like 0.15 of an inch total that you need to shim, so it's not that critical.

lol... I initially ordered the AFAM, then when I saw JT had both the 13 and 15 available and was cheaper, I called back and changed my order from a single 13T AFAM to a 13 and a 15T JT.

I also ordered the shims from my local Kawasaki dealer. All the stuff is sitting on my workbench and I have not installed them yet. I will be trying both the 13 and 15 to see what the differences are and which works best for my needs.

To me, it's a cheap, easy way to see which way I need to regear. I'll then fine tune later by ordering a tooth or more/less with the rear sprocket, if needed.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:11 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum Ducati Scrambler Forum