Originally Posted by marino6385
so today I tried to only leave the choke on for about a minute then started riding. It didnt overheat right away but slowly the needle worked it way into the red and the fan never kicked on. Any ideas? At this point Im thinking the replacement temperature sensor was no good.
Did you increase your idle speed after the bike was warm?
Are you getting any coolant being released into the reservoir? This is a clear indication of overheating.
Did you buy the temp sensor new?
What kind of spark plugs do you have installed? The wrong type plug has been known to cause overheating issues.
In what condition is the gauge cluster in? There is a possibility the temp gauge is misreading and needs replacement. You may very well be below the threshold and all other components are working properly, especially if you are riding in cooler temps.
If you are still concerned about overheating, here are some other things to consider.
Spark plug dirty, broken, or maladjusted
Spark plug incorrect
IC Igniter trouble
Fuel/air mixture incorrect:
Main jet clogged or wrong size
Fuel level in carburetor float bowl too low
Carburetor holder loose
Air cleaner poorly sealed, or missing
Air cleaner duct poorly sealed
Air cleaner clogged
Carbon built up in combustion chamber
Engine load faulty:
Engine oil level too high
Engine oil viscosity too high
Drive train trouble
Engine oil level too low
Engine oil poor quality or incorrect
Coolant level too low
Cooling system component incorrect:
Radiator fin damaged
Radiator cap trouble
Radiator fan switch trouble
Fan relay trouble
Fan motor broken
Fan blade damaged
Water pump not turning
Water pump impeller damaged