did a DIY tail tidy this weekend with some L brackets and screws from home depot, took more time and money than originally thought. as things arose, i realized i didnt have a certain size piece or tool - also did a ninja 300 and the wiring on that was different. btw, this is all without cutting or splicing, which was a bit of a bitch. that and the fact that i didnt follow any instructions, but rather just got to taking screws out and figuring things out as we went.
turned out nicely, but i dont know that the screws would hold up over time - even with lock washers im not sure how the rattling will affect the screws or hardware. also, the turn stock turn signals are pretty heavy and bounce quite a bit. this will do for now, but i think sometimes its worthwhile to just order a pre-machined part. that is, unless youre willing to truly modify your tail by changing turn signals, splicing wires and using resistors, drilling into the underside plastic, etc.
overall, it was a pretty easy job - i was just a little unprepared. if you are looking for something that will use ALL the stock lights and will be a more permanent solution, i would recommend just getting a tail tidy. sure they're more expensive, but most of them are machined perfectly to include all the stock lights.
anyway, here are some pictures of the DIY. i have an R&G on its way.