15,000 mile (24,000km) 2012 Ninja650 service - Page 2 : KawiForums.com Kawasaki Forums: Kawasaki motorcycle forums
» Sponsors





» Insurance
Go Back   KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums > On-Road > Ninja 650R, ER6
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
williamr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cheshire, UK
Posts: 5,288
williamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep pointswilliamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep pointswilliamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep pointswilliamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep pointswilliamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep pointswilliamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep pointswilliamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep pointswilliamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep pointswilliamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep pointswilliamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep pointswilliamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep points
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanz View Post
Heck yea that's some mileage. I've had my 2012 sense march and only have 1200 miles on it, technically not even broken in yet


Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Try riding it.

I consider myself a very low mileage rider these days at about 8,000 a year. I used to do 35,000. 1,000 a month is a reasonable not to high mileage imo.

Valve check, I think should be at 26,000 miles. Owner's manual and service manual are different. Once the valves are settled there's very little wear - I only changed about three shims in total over two bikes I kept for over 100K miles each. I think there should be a check as part of the first service when the new motor has bedded down, then they can be left for a long while. Brake fluid should be changed every two years irrespective of mileage because it's hygroscopic. Moisture can cause excessive brake fade under hard use.

Look on the bright side. On my Triumph valve check is at 12k miles and the motor has to dropped. Service time is 7 hours. That's expensive. Guess how many miles my Triumph has done lol.

Rob
williamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
636karl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangkok Thailand. Born and raised in Southampton, Hampshire, England.
Posts: 572
636karl has at least 1000 rep points636karl has at least 1000 rep points636karl has at least 1000 rep points636karl has at least 1000 rep points636karl has at least 1000 rep points636karl has at least 1000 rep points636karl has at least 1000 rep points636karl has at least 1000 rep points636karl has at least 1000 rep points636karl has at least 1000 rep points
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamr View Post
Try riding it.

I consider myself a very low mileage rider these days at about 8,000 a year. I used to do 35,000. 1,000 a month is a reasonable not to high mileage imo.

Valve check, I think should be at 26,000 miles. Owner's manual and service manual are different. Once the valves are settled there's very little wear - I only changed about three shims in total over two bikes I kept for over 100K miles each. I think there should be a check as part of the first service when the new motor has bedded down, then they can be left for a long while. Brake fluid should be changed every two years irrespective of mileage because it's hygroscopic. Moisture can cause excessive brake fade under hard use.

Look on the bright side. On my Triumph valve check is at 12k miles and the motor has to dropped. Service time is 7 hours. That's expensive. Guess how many miles my Triumph has done lol.


Rob
LOL, i'm guessing low....?
What Triumph is it BTW?
636karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: TX
Posts: 341
chevy42083 has at least 500 rep pointschevy42083 has at least 500 rep pointschevy42083 has at least 500 rep pointschevy42083 has at least 500 rep pointschevy42083 has at least 500 rep pointschevy42083 has at least 500 rep pointschevy42083 has at least 500 rep points
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiJeh View Post
i'm almost at 15k with my 2007, do you think I should have the valves looked at by dealership soon? Or should i wait until the 20-24k?

About how much would a dealership charge for this service?
If it were me, I would... just for peace of mind. (assuming you are 15k miles, not kilo). Don't rush off for it... but at your next oil change. My shop said I had stretched the valves, so they weren't closing all the way. It may be all mental, but it felt like it ran a little better once I got it back.

I didn't have mine done at a dealer, so not sure on cost. The shop I went to did a bunch of stuff at the same time as a tune-up package (highlights being adjust valves, plugs, wires, sync throttle bodies, plus some other stuff) $480. Not sure if they are the cheapest, but the work is good, the service is great, and i haven't liked any of the dealers I've tried in my area.
__________________
-2007 650r
chevy42083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
636karl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangkok Thailand. Born and raised in Southampton, Hampshire, England.
Posts: 572
636karl has at least 1000 rep points636karl has at least 1000 rep points636karl has at least 1000 rep points636karl has at least 1000 rep points636karl has at least 1000 rep points636karl has at least 1000 rep points636karl has at least 1000 rep points636karl has at least 1000 rep points636karl has at least 1000 rep points636karl has at least 1000 rep points
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy42083 View Post
If it were me, I would... just for peace of mind. (assuming you are 15k miles, not kilo). Don't rush off for it... but at your next oil change. My shop said I had stretched the valves, so they weren't closing all the way. It may be all mental, but it felt like it ran a little better once I got it back.

I didn't have mine done at a dealer, so not sure on cost. The shop I went to did a bunch of stuff at the same time as a tune-up package (highlights being adjust valves, plugs, wires, sync throttle bodies, plus some other stuff) $480. Not sure if they are the cheapest, but the work is good, the service is great, and i haven't liked any of the dealers I've tried in my area.

It can't hurt to have them checked...... Hold on, yes it can, it'll hurt your wallet!
How did that garage justify 'stretched valves'??
If your valves were stretched (highly unlikely) they should have been replaced which would have cost $0000's and you would most certainly of noticed a huge difference in performance after the work was done, certainly no 'mental trickery', it would have gain alot more BHP.
Unless you are tracking your bike often i'd stick to the Kawasaki recommended valve check intervals
636karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 11:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
hanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cottonwood,Arizona
Posts: 245
hanz hanz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamr View Post
Try riding it.
Why didn't I think of that!
hanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:29 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
williamr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cheshire, UK
Posts: 5,288
williamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep pointswilliamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep pointswilliamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep pointswilliamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep pointswilliamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep pointswilliamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep pointswilliamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep pointswilliamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep pointswilliamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep pointswilliamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep pointswilliamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep points
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy42083 View Post
If it were me, I would... just for peace of mind. (assuming you are 15k miles, not kilo). Don't rush off for it... but at your next oil change. My shop said I had stretched the valves, so they weren't closing all the way. It may be all mental, but it felt like it ran a little better once I got it .
Valves dont stretch. The seats wear, so the clearance between the valve and the cam closes and then they don't sit right down into the seat. If they're left like that the seats burn.

The rate of seat wear is tiny though, but bikes can leave the factory with the clearances set too close, and they change as a new motor settles down. That's why I think they should be checked early in the life of an engine, but once adjusted they won't normally need any more attention for a long time.

Valve check on the 650 is fairly quick and easy, although if any need adjusting it's a bit more involved as that means removing the camshafts to change the shims.

karl - the Triumph is a Street Triple R. 11,500 on the clock, so as it has to in for a regulator recall it's being serviced as well. 400 - 450 for the service. Next service it'll be out of warranty so I'll have to weigh up whether I'd rather lose the money or lose a full weekend.

Rob
williamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Jr. Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5
gpf0r has at least 10 rep points
Default

I have had mine since August and have 2k on my baby right now, but I did wreck her in Sept after a semi slammed on their brakes in front of me and I low sided going down the highway... needless to say, I was down for Sept and all of October. Just got back to riding last week. Felt freaking awesome. I will get some miles on her since I commute to work 3-4 days a week on it.
gpf0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #18 (permalink)
Core Member
 
goingtoscotland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: On an intergalactic cruise, in my office
Posts: 28,561
goingtoscotland has at least 80,000 rep pointsgoingtoscotland has at least 80,000 rep pointsgoingtoscotland has at least 80,000 rep pointsgoingtoscotland has at least 80,000 rep pointsgoingtoscotland has at least 80,000 rep pointsgoingtoscotland has at least 80,000 rep pointsgoingtoscotland has at least 80,000 rep pointsgoingtoscotland has at least 80,000 rep pointsgoingtoscotland has at least 80,000 rep pointsgoingtoscotland has at least 80,000 rep pointsgoingtoscotland has at least 80,000 rep points
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamr View Post
Valves dont stretch. The seats wear, so the clearance between the valve and the cam closes and then they don't sit right down into the seat. If they're left like that the seats burn.

The rate of seat wear is tiny though, but bikes can leave the factory with the clearances set too close, and they change as a new motor settles down. That's why I think they should be checked early in the life of an engine, but once adjusted they won't normally need any more attention for a long time.

Valve check on the 650 is fairly quick and easy, although if any need adjusting it's a bit more involved as that means removing the camshafts to change the shims.

karl - the Triumph is a Street Triple R. 11,500 on the clock, so as it has to in for a regulator recall it's being serviced as well. 400 - 450 for the service. Next service it'll be out of warranty so I'll have to weigh up whether I'd rather lose the money or lose a full weekend.

Rob
Valve stems actually do stretch(more so on engines with titanium valves than steel), it's a combination of valve seat and face wear and stem stretch that diminishes clearance over time.

Also wrong. It depends how the bike is ridden more than anything, but they should always be checked at the prescribed intervals at the least.
__________________
2005 ZX-10R Street and Track Whore

goingtoscotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
williamr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cheshire, UK
Posts: 5,288
williamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep pointswilliamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep pointswilliamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep pointswilliamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep pointswilliamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep pointswilliamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep pointswilliamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep pointswilliamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep pointswilliamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep pointswilliamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep pointswilliamr has between 30,000 and 40,000 rep points
Default

I said they don't normally need any attention - which is true. I didn't say not to check them.

On the two bikes that I kept for over 100K miles each I replaced a total of three shims, two on the 650 and one on the 900, in each case at around 25K miles.

As the valve stems are hammered during the opening cycle and stretched on closing it seems that the two would more or less cancel out, probably with a bias towards stretching because of the action of the springs. I'd like to see some before and after numbers before accepting that the stretch is measurable.

Rob
williamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #20 (permalink)
Core Member
 
goingtoscotland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: On an intergalactic cruise, in my office
Posts: 28,561
goingtoscotland has at least 80,000 rep pointsgoingtoscotland has at least 80,000 rep pointsgoingtoscotland has at least 80,000 rep pointsgoingtoscotland has at least 80,000 rep pointsgoingtoscotland has at least 80,000 rep pointsgoingtoscotland has at least 80,000 rep pointsgoingtoscotland has at least 80,000 rep pointsgoingtoscotland has at least 80,000 rep pointsgoingtoscotland has at least 80,000 rep pointsgoingtoscotland has at least 80,000 rep pointsgoingtoscotland has at least 80,000 rep points
Default

The last adjustment I did on my 10R I replaced/swapped 10 shims. Last one I did on my 636 I replaced/swapped 12 shims. Both of those were ~30,000 mile adjustments.

I have never done an adjustment on any bike that has required less than 6 shims in one sitting.
__________________
2005 ZX-10R Street and Track Whore

goingtoscotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:08 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum