Originally Posted by hitmanninja
I am planning to move to India.. for two years or so... riding a 2005 zx6r 636... actually recently written off as of today
all other options of owning something decent have been sidelined due to custom cost, duty etc. So how much would a 636 cost me India can I get them? How long would I have to wait? Anybody please
Your options to own a legal superbike in India are very few. So here they are
1) Honda CBR1000/CB1000 Honda
2) Yamaha YZF R1/FZ1 India Yamaha Motor Pvt. Ltd.
3) Kawasaki Ninja 650/250 Bajaj Auto - Bikes in India | Bike Prices | New Bikes | Buy Bikes Online | Two Wheeler Manufacturer India | Latest Motorcycles India | Sports Bikes
4) Suzuki GSXR1000/Hayabusa/Bandit 1250 Suzuki Motor Two Wheelers, Motorcycle Manufacturing Company India
5) Harley Davidson Harley-Davidson India
Please note that the bikes here cost at least 30% to 50% more than international prices owing to import duties which may run to upto 150% of the original cost of the bike.
Only the Kawasaki's and Harley's enjoy lesser duties since they are bought down as knocked down kits and assembled in factories in India. Rest of the manufacturers import them directly.
Plus, riding a superbike in India is not an easy task owing to lax traffic rules and mindsets of other riders/drivers. A superbike cannot and I stress cannot be used as a daily riding machine. You're better off with a lower capacity machine which won't attract attention on the streets and is easy to maintain.
I personally use the Ninja only for long distance touring and the occasional ride in the city.
I hope this info helps.