Valve adjustment question - KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 58
 
Valve adjustment question

I know the manual says check/adjust valves at 24k miles but how do you know when it really needs it? What will happen if they never get adjusted?
07 ninja is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 03:31 AM
Intermediate Member
 
GR rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece
Posts: 1,626
           
Hi there, I have an '06 Er6-n and had the valves inspected and adjusted at 36000kms instead of the recommended 42000 because I do a lot of sport and track riding and I had a racing exhaust at the time.

The exhaust valves were a bit closed but, in general, there was no urgent need for adjustment but I did anyway even though a bit earlier.

Anyway, the manual's recommendation is just that, a recommendation as 24k track miles are not the same as 24k highway miles etc, but I don't think that you need to adjust earlier.
GR rider is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 58
 
....but what happens when you do not have them adjusted? If the valves need adjusted, will there be symptoms that it needs to be done?
07 ninja is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 03:15 AM
Intermediate Member
 
GR rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece
Posts: 1,626
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 ninja View Post
....but what happens when you do not have them adjusted? If the valves need adjusted, will there be symptoms that it needs to be done?
Poor running and funny sounding engine at all rpm were the most prominent symptoms in the case of a friend's bike.

Valve clearance inspection was long overdue and the engine sounds and operates normally after the proper adjustment
GR rider is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 05:32 AM
Jr. Member
 
azaria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 4
 
Garage
First of all , I would recommend working under service book .
I initially neglected the test interval until I reached the black smoke like a locomotive

azaria is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 12:11 AM
Member
 
William's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 215
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR rider View Post
Hi there, I have an '06 Er6-n and had the valves inspected and adjusted at 36000kms instead of the recommended 42000 because I do a lot of sport and track riding and I had a racing exhaust at the time.

The exhaust valves were a bit closed but, in general, there was no urgent need for adjustment but I did anyway even though a bit earlier.

Anyway, the manual's recommendation is just that, a recommendation as 24k track miles are not the same as 24k highway miles etc, but I don't think that you need to adjust earlier.
Hi, this is William. I have a ways to go yet, but would you do the
valve clearance check as part of the 24,000 mile service? If you did what would the total cost be roughly? Thanks.
William is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 01:47 PM
Intermediate Member
 
GR rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece
Posts: 1,626
           
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
Hi, this is William. I have a ways to go yet, but would you do the
valve clearance check as part of the 24,000 mile service? If you did what would the total cost be roughly? Thanks.
Hi William, no, I did it independently just to be sure.


In Greece valve adjustment costs around 320 euros in the dealership and around 150-180 euros when done by an independent mechanic.
GR rider is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 05:05 PM
Member
 
William's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Toronto Canada
Posts: 215
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR rider View Post
Hi William, no, I did it independently just to be sure.


In Greece valve adjustment costs around 320 euros in the dealership and around 150-180 euros when done by an independent mechanic.
I just did a conversion from Euros to Canadian dollars. The job at the dealership would be $464 Canadian. Compared to a Ducati though, that would be a great deal LOL. That's great that you have the mechanical ability to do that job. How many kilometers can your ER 6 engine last?

Last edited by William; 07-23-2016 at 05:14 PM.
William is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 04:10 AM
Intermediate Member
 
GR rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece
Posts: 1,626
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
I just did a conversion from Euros to Canadian dollars. The job at the dealership would be $464 Canadian. Compared to a Ducati though, that would be a great deal LOL. That's great that you have the mechanical ability to do that job. How many kilometers can your ER 6 engine last?
Yeah, dealerships are really stealerships here, there were four official Kawasaki dealerships with the same policies and prices

And I didn't do the adjustment myself, I am too scared to do it, what I meant was that my mechanic did it for me independently of the normal service interval.

When it was launched our engine was newly designed and developed and apart from the occasional valve failure and usual faults like stator coils and fuel pumps I haven't heard of many engines going kaput because of extended mileage so I guess that it will last as any other good quality made in Japan engine.
GR rider is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 06:24 PM
Jr. Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Depressing state of Michigan (USA)
Posts: 37
      
Over time you'll lose power, fuel economy, etc. At the 25,000 mile mark (quite farther than the 16k recommended) I had the valves checked, new plugs & coils, air filter, and a dyno tune. The bike runs considerably better, sounds better, so yes, it is something you'll want to do when you notice a decline in performance or just want a "pick me up." The dyno tune had a lot to do with it, but the valves did require a slight adjustment.
Cregeyo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome