Corner speed - KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Member
 
grimreaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 116
   
Corner speed

Hi. How do you guys determine the maximum speed around a turn that the bike can handle withough wiping out? I believe people put their knee down to judge how far their bike leans. However, one can put his knee down further then some other rider. Please explain how this works. Thanks.
grimreaper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 04:54 PM
PWS
Jr. Member
 
PWS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 55
 
It boils down to how big your balls are...the faster you go the more you have to lean. Your brain decides how much is enough...you have to make your brain except the speed and lean so it will let you do it. Obviously there's a point of no return, with good tires you can probably lean it over till your knee rests against the bike{assuming no off camber}.
PWS is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Jr. Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: London, ON, Canada
Posts: 195
           
Yep that's exactly it. Gotta figure out what your comfort level is, and find out how much you can push your tires and chassis.

2000 ZX-6R,fully race prep'd

S.O.A.R. Racing, Lost Era Lightweight
ghost6_9 is offline  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 09:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: San Francisco, California, United States.
Posts: 471
       
trial and error

i doubt most people get to the "maximum" speed of the turn and/or conditions other than their own personal limit of how fast they think they can go through it.

what is maximum to you or me is going slow to those like spies

former AFM #282
stingray is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 11:27 PM
Intermediate Member
 
S3aturnR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 1,076
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimreaper View Post
Hi. How do you guys determine the maximum speed around a turn that the bike can handle withough wiping out? I believe people put their knee down to judge how far their bike leans. However, one can put his knee down further then some other rider. Please explain how this works. Thanks.
generally, i just keep riding faster and faster thru the same corner until i can feel the tires slide. if they slide too much, push your knee down harder and you can save a lowside. don't try this on the street, tho...


s3aturnr

1998 zx9r (sold)
2008 zx6r vivid yellow (gone, but not forgotten)
2009 yami r6 orange
WERA Expert #68
S3aturnR is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 11:42 PM
Jr. Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chino Hills, California, United States.
Posts: 147
    
I agree with PWS and ghost,
Your brain is the determining factor. The pros are using DOT tires and many of them pin their knees against the bike and some drag their elbows. I'd suggest working that out at the track, get videos of yourself and when your brain is ready to do it in a canyon then your there.
I can do it at the track but am always leary of the canyons, "dirt, oil, cops, cars and other riders".
Go to the track or a isolated rough surface parking lot.
DeaninLBC is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 11:52 PM
MODERATOR
 
hoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 28,939
           
as far as how far your knee goes out, trial and error in adjusting your form. ideally when your knee touches you know you are at or near max lean.
hoser is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 01:33 AM
Member
 
cromer611's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Denver, C.O.
Posts: 335
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
as far as how far your knee goes out, trial and error in adjusting your form. ideally when your knee touches you know you are at or near max lean.
not true, ive seen people hang so far off their bikes and they have their upper body over the tank with butts hangin way off, so crossed up and the bike only has 20 percent lean angle. just trying to get their knee down, the whole time the bike is upset because of horrible body position.

you want to stay parallel with your bike and use your knee/toe sliders to judge lean angle. As your knee touches the ground, pick your knee back up and lean the bike more until your knee touches again. with more lean angle produces more corner speed. with more corner speed and lean angle increases the risk of losing traction so be careful

im no pro but by just improving my body position ive been able to drop a second early in the season. I still have stuff i need to improve on, like pointing my inside elbow and getting my butt off the bike another inch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CTD_BMS_HPR_jc_11762.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	33775  

MRA 2010 Race Results
MRA 2009 Race Results
2008 Rookie of the Year
2009 Novice GTU/GTO Champ
2009 Amateur GTU/GTO Champ
cromer611 is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 01:46 AM
MODERATOR
 
hoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: PA
Posts: 28,939
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
as far as how far your knee goes out, trial and error in adjusting your form. ideally when your knee touches you know you are at or near max lean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromer611 View Post
not true, ive seen people hang so far off their bikes and they have their upper body over the tank with butts hangin way off, so crossed up and the bike only has 20 percent lean angle. just trying to get their knee down, the whole time the bike is upset because of horrible body position.

you want to stay parallel with your bike and use your knee/toe sliders to judge lean angle. As your knee touches the ground, pick your knee back up and lean the bike more until your knee touches again. with more lean angle produces more corner speed. with more corner speed and lean angle increases the risk of losing traction so be careful

im no pro but by just improving my body position ive been able to drop a second early in the season. I still have stuff i need to improve on, like pointing my inside elbow and getting my butt off the bike another inch.
thats why i said ideally...lol
hoser is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 664
           
I watched a guy exceed his limit a few weeks ago. He wasn't going to make the inside of the bridge gaurd rail. He stood it up mid corner and opted for the creek instead. No scratches but the 2009 CBR600 was banged up.
Limegreenninja is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome