venom? - Page 4 - KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Sev
The Indifference Engine
 
Sev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.
Posts: 5,995
           
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by venom400 View Post
From Wikipedia


"Near the surface of the Earth, an object in free fall in a vacuum will accelerate at approximately 9.8 m/sē, independent of its mass. With air resistance acting upon an object that has been dropped, the object will eventually reach a terminal velocity, around 56 m/s (200 km/h or 120 mph) for a human body. Terminal velocity depends on many factors including mass, drag coefficient, and relative surface area and will only be achieved if the fall is from sufficient altitude. A typical skydiver in a spread-eagle position will reach terminal velocity after about 12 seconds, during which time they will have fallen around 450 m (approx 1,500 ft).[1]"

a motorcycle should be able to achieve a slightly higher speed but not much unless launched high on the sky were there are much air mass

So a heavier object with a similar surface area would hit a higher terminal velocity than a human body...

I'm willing to bet the extra 200-300lbs of metal on your 650 with the similar surface area to a spread eagled human means it'd get going a lot faster.

Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.


Sev is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 07:18 PM
Intermediate Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 1,209
           
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeurtno
Maybe venom weighs 400 lbs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Motorcycle.com Free App
mikeurtno is offline  
post #33 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Member
 
ShinobiJeh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 331
         
you guys are funny.
ShinobiJeh is offline  
post #34 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Intermediate Member
 
av8r-92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ (I know...)
Posts: 1,655
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by venom400 View Post
From Wikipedia


"Near the surface of the Earth, an object in free fall in a vacuum will accelerate at approximately 9.8 m/sē, independent of its mass. With air resistance acting upon an object that has been dropped, the object will eventually reach a terminal velocity, around 56 m/s (200 km/h or 120 mph) for a human body. Terminal velocity depends on many factors including mass, drag coefficient, and relative surface area and will only be achieved if the fall is from sufficient altitude. A typical skydiver in a spread-eagle position will reach terminal velocity after about 12 seconds, during which time they will have fallen around 450 m (approx 1,500 ft).[1]"

a motorcycle should be able to achieve a slightly higher speed but not much unless launched high on the sky were there are much air mass


-Will

av8r-92 is offline  
post #35 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Member
 
04RDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fairfield, OH
Posts: 912
           
Didn't that guy that jumped from space break the sound barrier?

Sent from outerspace with the motorcycle.com app for space shuttle.
04RDA is offline  
post #36 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 10:56 PM
Intermediate Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Davenport, IA
Posts: 1,209
           
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeurtno
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RDA View Post
Didn't that guy that jumped from space break the sound barrier?

Sent from outerspace with the motorcycle.com app for space shuttle.
That was because he was so high up the air was significantly thinner. Less density means less molecules put square foot to resist your motion. That's why he tumbled at first because there was not enough pushing back on him for him to stabilize.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Motorcycle.com Free App
mikeurtno is offline  
post #37 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:14 PM
Member
 
04RDA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Fairfield, OH
Posts: 912
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeurtno View Post
That was because he was so high up the air was significantly thinner. Less density means less molecules put square foot to resist your motion. That's why he tumbled at first because there was not enough pushing back on him for him to stabilize.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Motorcycle.com Free App
So theoretically, the 650 could break the 130mph wall if dropped from that same height. And that's still relatively close to earth in the grand scheme of things because earth is just one tiny blue pixel....but is it fast enough to out run an EMP????

Sent from outerspace with the motorcycle.com app for space shuttle.
04RDA is offline  
post #38 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 11:51 PM
Intermediate Member
 
av8r-92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ (I know...)
Posts: 1,655
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04RDA View Post
So theoretically, the 650 could break the 130mph wall if dropped from that same height. And that's still relatively close to earth in the grand scheme of things because earth is just one tiny blue pixel....but is it fast enough to out run an EMP????
This is beginning to look like Pulp Fiction. All these different threads and subplots are starting to merge together.

-Will

av8r-92 is offline  
post #39 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 10:21 AM
Intermediate Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,246
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by venom400 View Post
well I was considering moving to a ninja 1000 and I almost did , until I saw that the insurance cost per year was going to go from 860 dollars a year to 3100 dollars a year ...

The new 636 quote was 2700 dollars a year.

The 650 is deffinetely a great daily rider that manages to keep up with the SSs on the street, the 1000s however I can't keep up with

Edit: do you guys think that if get an exhaust and a juice box the 650 would break the 130 mph wall ?
So in other words you havent ridden the N1K

How do you know the N1K or 636 arent better bikes if you havent ridden them

Honda Grom headlight • Morimoto D2S bixenon projector • DDM Tuning 55W HID kit • Yoshimura TRC exhaust • Renthal Superbike Low Bars • Corbin seat • ZX9R cluster (no speedo healer!)

My bike is REALLY confused
sportyaccordy is offline  
post #40 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Intermediate Member
 
Kawikid72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Delco|Philadelphia|Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,397
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX6R>CBR View Post
Ohhhh...... idk about Florida laws but here in PA once a bike hits 100mph the cops have to call it off.

Depending on the county and department, some can't even give chase to a bike or vehicle in that case for a traffic citation.

All this is just ADVICE because at the end of the day, you can do whatever the FUCK you wanna do.

Whore your slut out
Kawikid72 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome