Female experiences upgrading to 500 or 600 bikes... - Page 4 - KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Member
 
KawiJess250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 27
    
What's a rough estimate insurance quote for a 650? Right now I'm paying $11 a month for my 250 with a little extra medical coverage. I feel like that must be a good deal. How much more are we looking at for 650's?

Jess
2005 Ninja 250
KawiJess250 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 08:40 PM
Jr. Member
 
Caz no 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7
 
From an Aussie girl. I started on the 2009 Ninja 250 and LOVED it. I am 5'4 but on the (ahem) larger side and it was a great starter bike, it wasn't too heavy, was a good position and it had enough go for me. Even took my girl on a ride about 1800km each way from Melbourne to the Gold Coast and she was brilliant.

Because I loved the bike I was happy with the looks, the position etc so went for the Ninja 650, she is a star! Didn't take me long to get used to the extra power, but in saying that, it is not THAT much different. Love having the power to overtake cars etc now as the 250, you really needed a long stretch of road to do that.

It is a little heavier and taller and I cannot get both my feet flat on the ground, am on tip toes, this is why I didn't go with the Ninja 1000 ABS. It was too heavy for me to keep upright if I was on a hill etc so the 650 felt more comfortable.
Caz no 2 is offline  
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Jr. Member
 
TorontoKawiGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Guelph, ON
Posts: 16
 
I'm 5'6 and started on a Ninja 250 which I loved, but out rode really quickly (didn't even keep it for the full summer). I just picked up an '04 ZX6R which is a lot faster and taller, so I've had to be careful when coming to stops to make sure I don't fall over. I love the power, but I'm going to need to do something to lower the bike...think I might try shaving the seat down a bit first.
TorontoKawiGirl is offline  
post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 08:55 AM
Member
 
zvenkruspe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa, Canada 2001 ZX6R
Posts: 379
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoKawiGirl View Post
I'm 5'6 and started on a Ninja 250 which I loved, but out rode really quickly (didn't even keep it for the full summer). I just picked up an '04 ZX6R which is a lot faster and taller, so I've had to be careful when coming to stops to make sure I don't fall over. I love the power, but I'm going to need to do something to lower the bike...think I might try shaving the seat down a bit first.
Don't get this in an offending way, but you're 5'6 and still need to lower the bike?

I'm 5'4 on the low side and my bike has a seat height of 32.7in
I'm on tippy toes if I put both feet down. I just scoot over on the seat to plant a whole foot on the ground. Had a few close calls within the 13 000miles I do each season, but never laid it down when sitting on it.
zvenkruspe is offline  
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 749
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvenkruspe View Post
Don't get this in an offending way, but you're 5'6 and still need to lower the bike?

I'm 5'4 on the low side and my bike has a seat height of 32.7in
I'm on tippy toes if I put both feet down. I just scoot over on the seat to plant a whole foot on the ground. Had a few close calls within the 13 000miles I do each season, but never laid it down when sitting on it.
I'm 5'5" and mine is lowered. It's a matter of inseam...
I also prefer not to hop along on one foot in stop and go traffic up and down our hills and mountains...

Last edited by ninja500hs; 12-04-2012 at 01:49 PM.
ninja500hs is offline  
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 02:37 PM
Jr. Member
 
TorontoKawiGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Guelph, ON
Posts: 16
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvenkruspe View Post
Don't get this in an offending way, but you're 5'6 and still need to lower the bike?

I'm 5'4 on the low side and my bike has a seat height of 32.7in
I'm on tippy toes if I put both feet down. I just scoot over on the seat to plant a whole foot on the ground. Had a few close calls within the 13 000miles I do each season, but never laid it down when sitting on it.
No offense taken. It must have something to do with the inseam, as mentioned in the post above, because I REALLY have to 'shimmy' over to get a full foot on the ground. I'm not sure if the bike weight is also a contributing factor, but I just don't feel 100% comfortable/confident with the height that it's at. I especially notice the problem with the height when I am trying to maneouvre the bike around in my horribly paved driveway, it's very very difficult to get it over 'lumps' in the pavement. I'm going to try shaving the seat first and see how much of a difference it makes.
TorontoKawiGirl is offline  
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 10:20 AM
Member
 
sprorchid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 684
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoKawiGirl View Post
I'm 5'6 and started on a Ninja 250 which I loved, but out rode really quickly (didn't even keep it for the full summer). I just picked up an '04 ZX6R which is a lot faster and taller, so I've had to be careful when coming to stops to make sure I don't fall over. I love the power, but I'm going to need to do something to lower the bike...think I might try shaving the seat down a bit first.

I'm 5'5". I ride a 2009 zx6r and a 2011 cbr 1000rr. both are stock height. can't flatfoot either one, but don't care anymore. if it's only street riding, I'd just resole your boots, and add an inch (two soles together). before you shave the seat or add a lowering link.

nothing wrong with lowering it an inch for the street. it won't affect your cornering, despite what you read on the forums. no one should be dragging a knee on the street.

for both my bikes, I just walk them, my hip near the side of the seat, hands on the handle bars of course. much safer than trying to walk them while on the bike.
Tall guys don't understand, one guy told me to lower the bikes, so I can seat on them and walk them while sitting on them.... not.

I do have Corbin seats for both my bikes. slightly narrower than OEM. but I can only get 1/2 foot down on one side. tippy toe on both.

Last edited by sprorchid; 12-16-2012 at 10:23 AM.
sprorchid is offline  
post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 749
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprorchid View Post
I'm 5'5". I ride a 2009 zx6r and a 2011 cbr 1000rr. both are stock height. can't flatfoot either one, but don't care anymore. if it's only street riding, I'd just resole your boots, and add an inch (two soles together). before you shave the seat or add a lowering link.

nothing wrong with lowering it an inch for the street. it won't affect your cornering, despite what you read on the forums. no one should be dragging a knee on the street.

for both my bikes, I just walk them, my hip near the side of the seat, hands on the handle bars of course. much safer than trying to walk them while on the bike.
Tall guys don't understand, one guy told me to lower the bikes, so I can seat on them and walk them while sitting on them.... not.

I do have Corbin seats for both my bikes. slightly narrower than OEM. but I can only get 1/2 foot down on one side. tippy toe on both.
The idea with the boots is not bad, however, remember to check first if the redone boots still fit in between the pegs and shift lever...
Hahaha...right...walking beside a bike across a bumpy driveway is not THAT easy.... Mine is all gravel and up and down. I would want you watch push almost 400 lbs along... I suggest you show me on your bike, because I'd be afraid you'd dump mine....lol
Backing out of my storage shed onto the gravel is also better done with the bike straight, and with both feet to help balance it...I can understand TorontoKawiGirl .
To each her/his own....IMO..
ninja500hs is offline  
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 08:13 PM
Member
 
sprorchid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 684
           
up hill is a whole nother gig, and so is gravel! I walk my bikes out of parking spaces and what not, but it's flat, walking along side the bike, bike's weight on my hip, near the seat (below) and hands on the grips, right hand covering the brake lever. if it's up hill I'd just slip the clutch a little, and stay seated on the bike, but that's me.

I have 1 inch soles on a couple of sets of boots. it clears the levers, no problems, if it's a high top length boot. not so cool on a pair of full length track boots (ask me how I know) lol!

to each her own.
sprorchid is offline  
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 07:42 PM
Jr. Member
 
TorontoKawiGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Guelph, ON
Posts: 16
 
Well, I shaved the seat down probably about 3/4" and it made a considerable difference. Unfortunately I won't know how it really affects riding until spring because my bike is currently in my dining room . Side question....how on earth do you go about modding your riding boots?? Hot glue and some old tire rubber??? I'm just picturing some god awful disco looking boots.....
TorontoKawiGirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome