Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Battery is also new June time frame

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What next

Votes: 1 100.0%

2001 ZX 11 Won't crank or start please help

14K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  KevA 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 ZX 11. The bike has been running great. Rode it to lunch after lunch went out side to start it and the bike would not even crank over starter solenoid would not even click. Battery voltage is good 12 volts. If I short accross the starter solenoid the engine cranks over fine but the bike will still not start. I removed the igniter and tested it the ohm readings were off on several pins. I bought a new igniter tested it before I put it on and the ohm readings were the same as my original that I took off. Not sure if the test in the manual is correct. I have replaced the igniter 21119-1386 and still will not start. I have also replaced the junction box 26021-1089 and still nothing. I have tried with kickstand up, down clutch in or out and it will not crank. If I jump accross the starter solenoid it will crank but will not start. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
i don't like testing the CDI with a meter.. the rohmic values are ALWAYS off, and rarely prove useful.
were ya shorting the solenoid out with the bike's keyswitch "off"? if so, turn it to on and see if she fires up after jumping the solenoid..

-if the bike starts: test the solenoid coil, presence of 12 V when starter button is held.

-if voltage is present... replace solenoid or inspect electrical connection

-if no voltage is present... inspect starter button and solenoid control relay in junction box (even tho it's new)

-If bike doesn't start,
test..
-main fues and branch-circuit fuses in junction box
-main power to CDI.
-6V power to CDI from keyswitch (should be a gray wire)

kinda tough to diagnose with little info.. do some testing and all and keep us posted man.. good luck, and welcome to KF!

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. The keyswitch was on when I shorted the solenoid. The starter cranked the engine but would not start. The y/r wire our of junction box only has 6v. My battery is 12.2v. Battery voltage does not drop when I push starter button. My ignition fuse is good and I have 12v. The relay in junction box is functioning. It appears I have 12v in junction box and only 6v out to starter solenoid. Neutral switch is working and kick stand switch is working. Have to dig into it farther to check 9 pin and 2 pin plugs for starter lockout switch. Let me know if you have any other ideas or suggestions.
The manual or electrical diagrams dont mention anything about voltages. You said cdi is 6v? Is there any other wires that should have 6v?

#4 ·
Still lost! My bike will still not crank or start. I have 12v at battery, keyswitch, start button, white wire to starter solenoid. I have 8v at coils red wire. I have 6v yellow red wire from junction box to starter solenoid. I have 12v on black red wire from starter button to junction box. I am not a parts changer but I have replaced junction box and igniter with no change in results. I hate having my butt kicked by an electrical problem. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

#5 ·
the 6 volt feed should run directly from the keyswitch to the chi with no break except for connectors along the way.

kawi seems to always make it a gray wire, tho i'm not sure what it is on your bike. if you have a gray, white, brown, blue, and red, then the gray is it.. i don't have access to an electrical print right now, i tried, but only can pull up a 6, 9, 10 and 12.. no 11..

should be 12 V only in the entire circuit. theres a control relay in the junction box that subsequently feed the starter solenoid's coil. i've seen this relay crap out on the 7-R's and have had troubles on my 6-E's before, which is identicaly to your bike save for almost twice the displacement..

i really wish i could tell you a wire color, but can't being i have no manual.. all i can say is trace the wire that feeds the solenoid.. if at the termination it has 6 or 8 V, then about the only thing ya can do is backtrack til you find 12V on theatparticular wire or in that circuit. there could be a light short or a break, leaving just enough wire or contact present ti have a no-load voltage of 12, but a loaded voltage of 6 or 8.

hopefully, this helps a little bit.. any questions, call at 304-283-1613.

#7 ·
Side Stand

Justr a though but have you checked your side stand switch, this can cause the bike to die, you get ignition lights but nothing else, starter will not even click, wiggling the stand a few times might suddenly spring it into life. Of course i might be talking a lot of crap but i know this was an issue that was fairly common and i suffered from it.

Regards

Sandan

#9 ·
Hello ZX-11 Owners

I have owned my ZX-11 since it was brand new in March 1997..I currently have about 28k.. Anyways, every since day one I've had issues with starting the bike. I've brought at least five batteries.. Would have been more if I rode more. Smile.. Yesterday after looking through the internet again and still not have any luck I read one line a decided to try something new.. It said start unplugging connections and reconnect. I disconnected the starter solenoid fused wire and re-plugged without any luck.(I've unplugged the junction box over 50 times already after hearing the same old clicking noise)..lol However, my next step I unplugged want I think is the main neutral safety switch. The plug is red and it's attached beside the battery mount on a rubber base. I'm sure if you are not the original owner the connection is somewhere in the bottom battery area between the battery and solenoid placement areas. Once I unplugged it the bike fired right up. Plugged it back in and the back won't turn over like always. For years, I've had to make sure the battery is fully charged. Sometimes the clutch level had the be moved many times.
The bike has two safety switches I think.. One for the transmission and one for the kickstand. The fact I had to hold the clutch, I am sure my problem is more than likely in the transmission neutral safety switch.
For now I am going to make sure the bike it NOT in gear and leave it disconnected.. Hope this helps someone who still has this classic bike hanging around..

#10 ·
Follow-up to last post

The part is actually for the fuel pump.. Its black with a red plastic connector in the middle.. The part is actually good. (I brought a new one for $35.00 and still had the same issue) For now I just disconnect it, Start the bike than re-plug it,,,:laugh:

#11 · (Edited)
I have replaced the igniter 21119-1386 and still will not start. I have also replaced the junction box 26021-1089 and still nothing. I have tried with kickstand up, down clutch in or out and it will not crank. If I jump accross the starter solenoid it will crank but will not start. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

#12 ·
"I have spark fuel pump sounds like its coming on I checked all the fuses just waiting on the relay box to get here Friday and after that I have no idea where to go from there oh and it has no codes when I tried to use the self diagnose mode all ground wires have been cleaned and I cleaned the injectors still nothing please help will post video tomorrow"
Could you try and at lest keep all your posts in one thread so we have a fighting chance !
You posted on the back of this thread so I assumed you had a 2001 ZX11
In another Thread you indicated your Bike cuts out when you put it in Gear.
But the above in Blue was posted in a Ninja 650 Thread so I'm now totally confused as to what Bike you have ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.