Anyone Installed H-9 hi beam bulbs, into H-11 Low beam socket ZX14r? : KawiForums.com Kawasaki Forums: Kawasaki motorcycle forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums > Super Sport > ZX-14
New User? Register - Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Ninjawarrior1244 has at least 10 rep points
Default Anyone Installed H-9 hi beam bulbs, into H-11 Low beam socket ZX14r?

I have HID's in my low beams on my 14r now, and PIAA H-9 HI Platinum bulbs in the Hi beams which are unbelievable...

Problem is I have an unfocused light beam coming from my HID bulbs on the 14r and the light patterns do not meet when Hi and low beams are both turned on at the same time. From a forward distance looking at my HID's during daylight hours they miniscule and tiny, when I turn on the high beam with the PIAA Platinum 65 watt bulbs....it is unbelievable white bright light, I want the same coming from my low beams if possible.

I just installed my stock Hi beam bulbs into the stock low beam receptacles...had to modify the larger locking lug, and the female plug....no problem it works!

Ordered two more PIAA 65 watt Platinum bulbs to go into the stock sockets...the stock bulbs were fantastic....now will have all 4 bulbs will have 65 watt hi beam bulbs in them....

HID is not designed to work well in the ZX14 headlights....too much un focused light dispersion....

Here are the bulbs installed.

Last edited by Ninjawarrior1244; 11-07-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Ninjawarrior1244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Here thay are installed

4- 65 watt Platinum bulbs, 2- 55 Watt PIAA 1100X lights on each fender...total...370 watts of front lighting power.....can see all imperfections on the asphalt, spot a deer or animal a bit sooner, and people coming from a side street wait longer before pulling so you can pass.

When you are following a slower car in the passing lane..a couple flashes here and they quickly move over so you can pass....

Very nice upgrade....

The high beams put a very distinctive beam of bright light on the road that you can that are perfectly round...hence the name Projector Beams....They emulate a spotlight beam, not a flood light beam with conventional motorcycle polished reflectors.

This whole upgrade was designed as a safety issue for me, if the cagers can pick you out on the road at a distance quicker than the average stock bike because of stock lighting, maybe they will wait a few seconds to see what you are....and not be so quick to pull out in front of you.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone Installed H-9 hi beam bulbs, into H-11 Low beam socket ZX14r?-photo-87-.jpg   Anyone Installed H-9 hi beam bulbs, into H-11 Low beam socket ZX14r?-photo-84-.jpg   Anyone Installed H-9 hi beam bulbs, into H-11 Low beam socket ZX14r?-photo-95-.jpg   Anyone Installed H-9 hi beam bulbs, into H-11 Low beam socket ZX14r?-photo-97-.jpg  

Last edited by Ninjawarrior1244; 11-10-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Intermediate Member

Puck has at least 4000 rep pointsPuck has at least 4000 rep pointsPuck has at least 4000 rep pointsPuck has at least 4000 rep pointsPuck has at least 4000 rep pointsPuck has at least 4000 rep pointsPuck has at least 4000 rep pointsPuck has at least 4000 rep pointsPuck has at least 4000 rep pointsPuck has at least 4000 rep pointsPuck has at least 4000 rep points

Looks good.

Is the light still focused, or does it shine high and wide now? I would hate to be blinding the car in front of me, but I'm not exactly happy with the stock low beams on this bike. May just try adjusting them up a bit first, since it seems they cutoff way lower then my zx6 projectors did.

Again, good job - thanks for being the guinea pig and going for it.
2012 Metallic Spark Black ZX-14R: Black Coffman GP Duals, GPR v4 Damper, Lowered, All lights blacked out, PP Road 4 Front/Road 2 rear, Descreened filter, Puig DB, Pazzo levers, Rizoma grips, Vortex keyless cap, Custom seat cover, Rim tape, painted fins.
152mph trap 2nd time out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademe900 View Post
The brakes argument is old, any 600 brakes are ample, you just squeeze harder.
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

The stock bulbs are always way out of adjustment from Kawasaki.....

Here is an easy fast way for you to get them zeroed in.....

Centerstand the bike in your garage......I use a large white sheet of styrofoam and use a black magic marker and put a set of cross hairs down the center of each side.

Then put it in front of your Ninja....about 3 feet....start your engine...and turn on your high beams.....just concentrate on their height and make sure you adjust them dead ahead with about 24 inches of spacing between the round burn centers of the bulb.

Then move your target back away.......then re-adjust as necessary to get them where you want them. Do the high beams first and get them set the low beams will follow as only one side is adjustable and one adjustment does one bank of bulbs.

It will take a few tries to zero then go ride and see where the beams fall on the street.....

Take your time then you will get them perfect and be happy .....

But if you want to go first class....get some PIAA 65 Watt Platinum bulbs...and you will look like a 747 taking off.....enjoy your ride......

If you need any help with mods on the female plugs or the bulb lugs let me know.....

Ninja
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone Installed H-9 hi beam bulbs, into H-11 Low beam socket ZX14r?-photo-97-.jpg   Anyone Installed H-9 hi beam bulbs, into H-11 Low beam socket ZX14r?-photo-100-.jpg  

Last edited by Ninjawarrior1244; 11-10-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Intermediate Member

Puck has at least 4000 rep pointsPuck has at least 4000 rep pointsPuck has at least 4000 rep pointsPuck has at least 4000 rep pointsPuck has at least 4000 rep pointsPuck has at least 4000 rep pointsPuck has at least 4000 rep pointsPuck has at least 4000 rep pointsPuck has at least 4000 rep pointsPuck has at least 4000 rep pointsPuck has at least 4000 rep points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjawarrior1244 View Post
The stock bulbs are always way out of adjustment from Kawasaki.....

Here is an easy fast way for you to get them zeroed in.....

Centerstand the bike in your garage......I use a large white sheet of styrofoam and use a black magic marker and put a set of cross hairs down the center of each side.

Then put it in front of your Ninja....about 3 feet....start your engine...and turn on your high beams.....just concentrate on their height and make sure you adjust them dead ahead with about 24 inches of spacing between the round burn centers of the bulb.

Then move your target back away.......then re-adjust as necessary to get them where you want them. Do the high beams first and get them set the low beams will follow as only one side is adjustable and one adjustment does one bank of bulbs.

It will take a few tries to zero then go ride and see where the beams fall on the street.....

Take your time then you will get them perfect and be happy .....

But if you want to go first class....get some PIAA 65 Watt Platinum bulbs...and you will look like a 747 taking off.....enjoy your ride......

If you need any help with mods on the female plugs or the bulb lugs let me know.....

Ninja
Thanks, I'll be sure to adjust them before anything else.
2012 Metallic Spark Black ZX-14R: Black Coffman GP Duals, GPR v4 Damper, Lowered, All lights blacked out, PP Road 4 Front/Road 2 rear, Descreened filter, Puig DB, Pazzo levers, Rizoma grips, Vortex keyless cap, Custom seat cover, Rim tape, painted fins.
152mph trap 2nd time out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trademe900 View Post
The brakes argument is old, any 600 brakes are ample, you just squeeze harder.
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

tontonic has at least 10 rep points

Is this the one you bought?
PIAA | H9 Xtreme White Plus Single Halogen Bulb #70955
tontonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement