Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Dreaming of a zx-14r

19K views 46 replies 14 participants last post by  projo198 
#1 ·
Hello folks,

First a disclaimer. I am aware i am a new biker, new to these forums, and that it'd probably be against alot of advice to buy that bike already. Now this is not one of those numerous posts to know if i should buy it or not...i likely will, but i want to know more from real owners and users rather than press releases and reviews, or commercial hype.

My current bike is a Ninja 650 (2013 no abs), i'm 5"7 at 150 pounds.

Trouble i have in these parts (Eastern Canada) is that it's not possible to try the bike out and see for myself if i'd scare my pants off or simply enjoy how it behaves. So all i can do is go to a dealer, sit on one and...imagine what it'd be like :rolleyes:.

What was it like when you upgraded from your previous machine to the beast? Have any of you gone from a bike like the 650 onto a zx-14r? What are the things to really watch for (apart from that right wrist) in this kind of upgrade? What are the biggest drawbacks you could pinpoint on the model?

P.S. intended use are fun rides in the week-end, i don't drag/race nor intend to mod it (at least that syndrome hasn't struck me yet :p).

Thanks for any info

Wolf

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The bike is very docile, then murderous at the flick of the wrist. Its not for the faint of heart or for n00bs either. You know all those horror stories you hear about how violent the ZX14 can be?

It's much worse.

Reactions: azfizik
#3 ·
Any 14 will kill you if you are not careful. They are brutal, with gobs of tq on tap at nearly any gear and RPM range. A gentle roll on the gas to will put you in the three digit speeds before you have time to realize how fast you are going. It is that insane.

That being said, the Gen2s are surprisingly smooth and docile. Power is linear, and doesn't hit hard all of a sudden, and numerous electronic nanny aids do their best to keep you from killing yourself.

It ALWAYS comes down to the riders maturity and realization of their own skill level, but you can put it in KTRC 3 (allows ZERO wheelspin and wont lift the front) and ride it around like a baby. It is safer in the rain then my high strung full bolt-on ZX6R was(the removed flies, steep gearing, no KTRC, and very light weight made it very twitchy). In fact, when I get new tires I always do the first 50 miles or so on KTRC 3, just for piece of mind. The bike is so torquey you will be amazed at how easily traction control kicks in on level 3.

If that 650 is your first bike, and you have barely been riding a year, I would definitely put a lot more miles under your belt before going for a hyperbike like the 14. All the reading in the world isn't worth anything compared to getting miles under your belt.

#4 ·
Thanks for the heads up. If i had listened to my (stupid) mind, i'd probably have bought the 14 for my first bike...but i was able to restrict myself and get that 650 for a trainer instead. It was the right choice, but the 2014 (black/red) 14r is...well, stuck in my head, i can't shake it off for some reason.

The plan i got atm is to keep the 650 till the rest of the season and next spring, then switch over. In the meanwhile i ride the little ninja and try to get as much info as i can.

#5 ·
Make sure your will is up to date...not joking.

Reactions: Byron Sexton
#7 ·
LnL you trying to scare him off of one for sure eh LOL

I am apart of a bike group in the DMV area, and all of the guys tell me that a ZX-14 is easy to ride, you have to control your right wrist and you'll be fine. Not one guy has any fear of that bike. You even have chicks riding the beast with no issues...

While a ZX-14 certainly isn't a beginner bike, I don't think it is the monster that people are playing it up to be either. Especially the new ones they have Traction control and all that electrical DO DAH that will save your ass anyways

#8 ·
Well, there ya go. Even chicks can ride one without fear.

Good fucking luck.

#9 ·
There's a lot of dumbasses out there that think they're the only ones capable of handling such a bike as the 14R. The world is full of ignorant stupid assholes that think they're superior or whatever their high ego permits them to believe of themselves. Of course, all of us know it's just bullshit (and they know we know...they know too...but whatever).

Look, it's a kitten and a monster. If you wanted, you could be out dragged by a moped on it. At the same time, twist that throttle and the monster within is unleashed. To that I am not joking at all.

So any bike can kill you. Or basically, you can kill yourself on any motorcycle. With a 14, it will just take a lot less effort on your part. Instead of just scraping your face off a telephone pole from wrecking on something like a 600, they'll have to pry and tweezer out all the bits of your skull and teeth too. But hey, what will you care most of you will be in a bucket at that point?

So buy one? Hell yes. Be careful? Hell yes. Unchain the monster at the right times? Hell Fuck Yes!

Reactions: AndresUY
#10 ·
Vic and Locknload are right, these bikes are the closest thing to a grizzly attack you will ever experience when you open the throttle up. So much power on tap means the bike doesn't work at 70, 80, or 90mph....it just kinda hums along. Which is dangerous as you don't have a solid idea of how fast you are going until you see that little needle well past the 100 mark.

And Vic was right, any bike can kill you. Do something stupid on a Vespa and you are toast. The difference is that on the 14, the space between a good time and a trip home in a sponge is about 20* of throttle twist.

#11 ·
I had this 12R streetfighter before I built the ZX14. I guess it kinda prepared me for the monster...

kinda

That bike was an animal.

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
Yeah i suppose alot of people "grow" into these as they get riding experience. In my case i don't have that leisure of having as much time to do so if i want to get one, but i am willing to work hard to catch up (spent my youth in airplanes, just recently discovered motorcycles). I would have the chance to ride a friend's Ninja 1000 (2014) in the meanwhile, although that's not close to a 12r in behavior i am sure.

#13 · (Edited)
I haven't had a chance to ride the ninja 1000, but I'm sure it's also a handful.

Anyone?

#17 · (Edited)
Well, happy to say i am still well and alive, although i'm sad to ruin the "dead newbie" running gag (for now!)

Didn't post more since i had gotten enough info and didn't want to spam you guys, the rest was up to me.

Actually i traded the 650 for the 14r yesterday. Got an experienced rider friend who'll help me get into it, although the season is sadly ending soon here up north.

It'll stay on traction mode 3 and low power for a long, long while (though the power setting doesn't seems to do much at low rpm). Even then the break-in period will take some time too.

The beast is in the garage right now (still covered in flies and stuff from the way home...we passed under around 4000 seagulls...you can imagine the "guano" falling left and right aka rain of shit). Can post pictures later on , once it's clean, if you like.

#18 ·
Excellent oak, welcome to the club!

Post pics? Hell yes! Even some of your pics all covered in muck would be ok, kind of the christening of the bike you know?

#21 ·
:lick: I'm seeing too many awesome 14Rs these days...I seriously want to buy another one for some sick reason!

Reactions: zeeleelfishman
#23 ·
Grats!

Beutiful bike, that's my favorite color combo...although I am a little biased since I did the red fins and calipers on my 2012 - Kawi just copied me :p.

Ride safe.

#24 · (Edited)
Thanks :). I'll make sure to post again next season if we live to tell the tale of it (we = bike and rider).

That being said, i wonder if you guys have tricks of the trade to maintain the matte black finish. I figured no wax should be put there, nor any "rough" compound. By now i only used water and some smooth clothes.

Lastly, what kind of front/rear stand do you use for winter storage and maintenance? I am leaning toward the pitbull rear stand made for the zx-14r (revzilla)...but not sure about the front stand.

#27 ·
I am leaning toward the pitbull rear stand made for the zx-14r (revzilla)...but not sure about the front stand.
ABBA superbike stand. Can do so much more than Pit bulls, and only cost a bit more.

#29 ·
The stand is as easy to use as they show in their videos, really.

Here's my review

In total, for ABBA Superbike Stand (lfts rear), Front Lift Arm kit (lifts front & rear), swingarm removal kit, and swingarm bobbin kit I have $360 wrapped up in it including s&h. I think a set of Pitbull front/rear wheel stands are aroud $300 + s&h

The best thing about the ABBA is the modularity. For $250 they also even have a wheeled base the bike can be lifted on so it can be rolled around on. Then another benefit is it can be used for any sportbike (or bike with a similar swingarm style) with addtional pins if needed (kind of like spools for different brands for Pitbulls).

Keep in mind in no way do I benefit from anyone buying these things, just think it's a really cool product that's engineered for a purpose. Is it perfect? No. but as far as easy to use, versatility (with what I listed, the bike can be torn down to the last bolt), safe, storage, it's definitely one of the best stands for the price on the market.

#30 ·
Thanks alot for the ideas guys. After searching around I'll look into that abba stand (if i can find it), seems safer to use than the rear/front stand for some reason, and i don't have a large garage so storage is important for me (which may be an issue with skylift/bursig stands).

Cheers

#31 ·
I have a 2 car garage, storage was definitely something I had to consider too. Wheel stands are pretty large and take up quite a bit of space, and as your saying the Skylift (which would be freaking awesome) or similar stands don't easily breakdown. The way the ABBA Superbike stand is built, storing it doesn't take much space at all. I store it on my peg board in fact.

#32 ·
Here's my ABBA stand stored, this includes the 2 bars for the front lift arm kit (they are stacked front to back).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.