This girl's gotta upgrade - Page 3 : KawiForums.com Kawasaki Forums: Kawasaki motorcycle forums
» Sponsors





» Insurance
Go Back   KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums > Super Sport > ZX-6R All Model Years
New User? Register - Forgot Password

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 08:32 AM   #21 (permalink)
Jr. Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: John's Beach, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.
Posts: 6
rob3662 is around zero rep points
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRussian View Post
I see youre from Newfoundland... Are you aware we aren't talking about Snowmobiles?
I think I got that much figured out.
rob3662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #22 (permalink)
Jr. Member
 
Bdoggy25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7
Bdoggy25 has at least 10 rep points
Default

I just recently moved up to a ZZR 600 from a Ninja 250. So I might be able to share my thoughts and help you.

First of all , I was ready. I knew it in my mind that I was ready. Period.

I didn't look at it as "out growing" the 250 , I looked at it as my learning period. I tried to perfect everything I could on the 250 and I feel I came pretty close to doing so. I even kept it about 6 months longer than my brain told me too.

It's going to be different at first but you will see how much the 250 helped you hone your skills once you really ride it. The power increase is a little scary at first but you will have throttle control carried over from the 250 and confidence in your skill set.

Take it easy at first because from my experience they do not get in to the corner the same as a 250 , the little ninja will dive bomb into the corner with little effort but it takes some effort to get the same results out of a 600(for me at least).

I'm no expert on the matter but I was in the same boat as you not that long ago and I am still fairly new to the 600 class so this stuff is fresh in my mind so I figured I'd share with you.

Good luck on your decision , only you know when you are ready so listen to your brain!
__________________
2007 ZZR 600
Bdoggy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #23 (permalink)
Powerhungry
 
nevada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Yakima, Wa..... 2005 636
Posts: 34,430
nevada has at least 80,000 rep pointsnevada has at least 80,000 rep pointsnevada has at least 80,000 rep pointsnevada has at least 80,000 rep pointsnevada has at least 80,000 rep pointsnevada has at least 80,000 rep pointsnevada has at least 80,000 rep pointsnevada has at least 80,000 rep pointsnevada has at least 80,000 rep pointsnevada has at least 80,000 rep pointsnevada has at least 80,000 rep points
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
That's not really how I meant it.

If you're not confident enough in your skills to try it yourself, and have to ask someone on the internet if you're ready (note we have NO WAY WHATSOEVER of accurately assessing your skill set OP) then you need to go an sit in a coffee house for a while and ask yourself if you think you can do everything right every time. A modern 600 will punish your mistakes, where the 250 will usually let them slide. If you feel confident enough in your riding of the 250 that you think you won't make any mistakes from now on it's time to move up. If however, you often or even occasionally say inside your helmet,
"why did I do that"
"that could have been bad"
"dumped the clutch, fuck"
"whoops"
"oh man"
or any iteration or similar idea...

Well you get the idea. The 250 that you have is the place to perfect your muscle memory. If YOU fell you're there then move up IF you want too. Not because people give you a hard time about what bike you ride. Not because you think you need more power to keep up. Not because it's what everyone else does. But because it's what you want.

Hope this helps.
i knew how you meant it. i agreed.

i was also respondong to the power difference.
__________________
http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7452561/


ERIN

PM me for info about contributing to Erins boob job. pics in the link above.
nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #24 (permalink)
Jr. Member
 
BSH87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Birmingham (England)
Posts: 44
BSH87 has at least 250 rep pointsBSH87 has at least 250 rep pointsBSH87 has at least 250 rep pointsBSH87 has at least 250 rep points
Default

My first bike was a 2005 R6. I only road a GS500 for a week to pass my test/learn on, and as stupid as some people may view buying a 600cc Supersport bike as my first, it would only go as fast as I went - and would only be as dangerous as I was riding it. A 600cc bike is a bloody fast piece of kit, but as long as you're sensible and don't think your next stop is the MotoGP paddock, you should be fine. I took my time, never tried to keep up with anyone, and didn't show off. Then I slowly pushed myself, and did track days to learn how to ride properly and corner. With your 250 experience, it won't be such a big risk as it was for me as I was a total newbie. Take your time with it, and learn the bike by yourself before you go riding with others or try to keep up with them. As long as you don't do anything silly or try and show off I would go for it.
That being said, I'm glad I got a 600 straight away as I still have it and don't feel the need to get rid of it. BUT, I wish I'd taken my time and learnt how to ride properly on something with less power before upgrading. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Just make sure you wear the right protection so you don't have the benefit of hindsight on that aspect.
__________________
Ben
2005 R6
2012 ZX6R
BSH87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #25 (permalink)
Jr. Member
 
illrational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: orlando,fl
Posts: 51
illrational has at least 50 rep points
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by katina View Post
When I upgraded, the difference in throttle response was noticeable but not intimidating. Differences that were readily apparent were riding position and additional weight. I knew I was ready and got my GSXR shortly after I decided I was done with the 250. When you know, you know. If you're reticent, you probably need some more saddle time on the lil one.

By the by, during my first ride on the 600 rolling out of the dealership, I had the hugest goddamn smile on my face; it felt like I was a little kid experiencing 10 Christmases at once.

I dont know how old this thread is but i agree with Katrina....i might get laughed at but my first ride on 250 i was like what did i do but i rode my 6r out of the dealership like i had been riding it all my life and i chalk that up to the time i spent on 250 and man when isay difference between the two is so lopsided its ridiculous but the thrill of teh 6r is crazy especially when you start taking it to the track..just my two cents!!!
illrational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:38 PM   #26 (permalink)
Member
 
chris140's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: .....Gibraltar .... 1992 ZZR 600 D2
Posts: 366
chris140 has at least 500 rep pointschris140 has at least 500 rep pointschris140 has at least 500 rep pointschris140 has at least 500 rep pointschris140 has at least 500 rep pointschris140 has at least 500 rep pointschris140 has at least 500 rep points
Default

There have been so many similar threads all over the forum and I try not to post the same over and over again so heres something a little different to my usual line.

First of all, you being a girl makes no difference what so ever. As a matter of fact my ZZR 600 was originally owned by a woman who drove it safely for almost 20 years and got a lot of enjoyment out of it.

I see an awful lot of 17 year olds riding round on mopeds in my line of work. Alot of them dont live to see 18... then you get the kids who start off on 125s and progress slowly on to bigger bikes. All of them have one thing in common, they all think theyre shit hot riders because they have never fallen off.

I think differently, to my mind falling off a 2 wheeled machine is inevitable. At some point in their lives, every one who rides a motorcycle will fall off it. When I started out I fell off a lot, mainly for being a stupid 17 year old who thought he was shit hot. Every fall I had taught me something about the bike i was riding at the time, about physics and about myself as a rider.

The more I fell off the less severe the injuries became and the less frequent the falls. I haven't fallen off a bike for 4 years now and that last one was a controlled one where I had to get off the bike quick to chase a perp on foot. Ive had a few near misses but mistakes of the past have taught me how to prevent near misses becoming crashes.

I'm no where near as good a rider as I want to be and I've found that the 600 has taught me a lot.

So I ask you... how many times have you fallen off? How confident are you in your own skill to prevent a near miss being a crash? How comfortable are you on a 250? Do you think you have anything left to learn?

All of these are questions anyone can ask but only you can answer as well as any others that you can think of and only you can answer the question "Am I ready?"

Like someone said before, if you have to ask you're probably not ready, but its your call.
__________________
1999-2000: Aprilia RS 50, 2000-2000: Suzuki TS 50, 2001-2002: Kawasaki KMX 200, 2002-2006: Yamaha Virago 250, 2007-2009: Yamaha Virago XV 535, 2009-2012: Suzuki GZ 250 Marauder, 2012-present: Kawasaki ZZR 600
______________________________
"Green is better, I need green!" ~ Max my 2 year old
chris140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:16 AM   #27 (permalink)
Jr. Member
 
hitmanninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Sydney
Posts: 100
hitmanninja has at least 10 rep points
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris140 View Post
There have been so many similar threads all over the forum and I try not to post the same over and over again so heres something a little different to my usual line.

First of all, you being a girl makes no difference what so ever. As a matter of fact my ZZR 600 was originally owned by a woman who drove it safely for almost 20 years and got a lot of enjoyment out of it.

I see an awful lot of 17 year olds riding round on mopeds in my line of work. Alot of them dont live to see 18... then you get the kids who start off on 125s and progress slowly on to bigger bikes. All of them have one thing in common, they all think theyre shit hot riders because they have never fallen off.

I think differently, to my mind falling off a 2 wheeled machine is inevitable. At some point in their lives, every one who rides a motorcycle will fall off it. When I started out I fell off a lot, mainly for being a stupid 17 year old who thought he was shit hot. Every fall I had taught me something about the bike i was riding at the time, about physics and about myself as a rider.

The more I fell off the less severe the injuries became and the less frequent the falls. I haven't fallen off a bike for 4 years now and that last one was a controlled one where I had to get off the bike quick to chase a perp on foot. Ive had a few near misses but mistakes of the past have taught me how to prevent near misses becoming crashes.

I'm no where near as good a rider as I want to be and I've found that the 600 has taught me a lot.

So I ask you... how many times have you fallen off? How confident are you in your own skill to prevent a near miss being a crash? How comfortable are you on a 250? Do you think you have anything left to learn?

All of these are questions anyone can ask but only you can answer as well as any others that you can think of and only you can answer the question "Am I ready?"

Like someone said before, if you have to ask you're probably not ready, but its your call.
Man I totally agree with you... I have been riding for ages and have learnt from my mistakes of course falling off in itself is an art that can only be mastered by respecting your ride knowing your limits and most importantly starting small and building experience and skills. When I fell as a 15 year old trail bike rider my injuries were excessive but not life threatening... I quickly learnt to always have protective gear... road riding one day I disregarded the gear because I thought I was a 17year old crash hot rider..and then bang I almost left this planet.... glad to be here I made a truce to always have all my gear on, no matter how short the ride and how hot it was out there. Since then I have fallen a few times mostly because of someone else's stupidity but I have braced for the perfect fall away from the bike and near danger!! and with my gear on I have gotten away with a bruise here and there surprisingly in all the cases the bike has been a total loss!!

Last edited by hitmanninja; 11-27-2012 at 02:19 AM.
hitmanninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:49 PM   #28 (permalink)
Jr. Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 58
~Mo~ has at least 50 rep points
Send a message via AIM to ~Mo~
Default

To the people that were genuine in their responses thank you. To those saying "if you have to ask you aren't ready" I'm sorry, I just figured since I had never been on one I'd just ask for people's input. And no being a girl doesn't matter, but I am 112lbs and 5'6" where most dudes riding bigger bikes are over 6' and pushing 200 lbs. Anyways, I bought a 2007 Yamaha R6 a few months back, got to take it out only a few times before winter hit up here in NY, but seems like an decent bike so far.

P.S. I still ride my Ninja 250 as well so I can be on this site since I now am part of the Yamaha club too hahaha lol
__________________
~Mo~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:12 AM   #29 (permalink)
Jr. Member
 
NeverFastEnough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 108
NeverFastEnough has at least 10 rep points
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdoggy25 View Post
I just recently moved up to a ZZR 600 from a Ninja 250. So I might be able to share my thoughts and help you.

First of all , I was ready. I knew it in my mind that I was ready. Period.

I didn't look at it as "out growing" the 250 , I looked at it as my learning period. I tried to perfect everything I could on the 250 and I feel I came pretty close to doing so. I even kept it about 6 months longer than my brain told me too.

It's going to be different at first but you will see how much the 250 helped you hone your skills once you really ride it. The power increase is a little scary at first but you will have throttle control carried over from the 250 and confidence in your skill set.

Take it easy at first because from my experience they do not get in to the corner the same as a 250 , the little ninja will dive bomb into the corner with little effort but it takes some effort to get the same results out of a 600(for me at least).

I'm no expert on the matter but I was in the same boat as you not that long ago and I am still fairly new to the 600 class so this stuff is fresh in my mind so I figured I'd share with you.

Good luck on your decision , only you know when you are ready so listen to your brain!
I am literally in the same boat as this guy, I rode a 2008 250 for 6 months to learn to ride. Once I felt that I was waiting for the bike to catch up to me when riding I decided to upgrade. I got a 2008 ZZR 600 and oh my god the power difference is huge, corning is a big difference. With a 250 you sling shot into a corner at full speed and if you screwed up the line could correct it quite easily. Not so with a 600, come in at the proper gear, the proper speed and the proper line or else you are in for a rough turn. Also it is so easy to have too much power in a turn and have your tire spin out from under you, not saying it's bad enough to make you almost low side the bike but it'll give you a nice jolt of adrenaline when riding on the streets.

I am an adrenaline junkie, sky diving, rock climbing, feeding sharks. Name it and I have, or will do it; when I got this bike the power on it actually had me nervous for the first 2 days. On my way home I popped a wheelie by accident on the freeway, something I had to intentionally do on the 250. I even did a stoppie when a car pulled in front of me, everything on a 600 has a faster response time and more of a response once done. Almost 3 weeks after buying the bike the inner adrenaline junkie in me wants a 1000 now, but I know that for what I will be doing with this bike a 600 is perfect for me.

Don't let being a girl decide whether or not to upgrade, Once you put that helmet on most people wont be able to tell if you are a woman or not unless they get right up near you. As long as you can handle the power the bike has then there is no reason not to upgrade. If size is what you are worried about just have the bike lowered.

Last edited by NeverFastEnough; 01-19-2013 at 05:23 AM.
NeverFastEnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:21 AM   #30 (permalink)
Proud A-hole
 
LarryJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Chesapeake, VA '06 ZZR fighter, 05 VTX-1300
Posts: 15,121
LarryJ has between 60,000 and 70,000 rep pointsLarryJ has between 60,000 and 70,000 rep pointsLarryJ has between 60,000 and 70,000 rep pointsLarryJ has between 60,000 and 70,000 rep pointsLarryJ has between 60,000 and 70,000 rep pointsLarryJ has between 60,000 and 70,000 rep pointsLarryJ has between 60,000 and 70,000 rep pointsLarryJ has between 60,000 and 70,000 rep pointsLarryJ has between 60,000 and 70,000 rep pointsLarryJ has between 60,000 and 70,000 rep pointsLarryJ has between 60,000 and 70,000 rep points
Send a message via Skype™ to LarryJ
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Mo~ View Post
To the people that were genuine in their responses thank you. To those saying "if you have to ask you aren't ready" I'm sorry, I just figured since I had never been on one I'd just ask for people's input. And no being a girl doesn't matter, but I am 112lbs and 5'6" where most dudes riding bigger bikes are over 6' and pushing 200 lbs. Anyways, I bought a 2007 Yamaha R6 a few months back, got to take it out only a few times before winter hit up here in NY, but seems like an decent bike so far.

P.S. I still ride my Ninja 250 as well so I can be on this site since I now am part of the Yamaha club too hahaha lol
Congrats on the purchase.
__________________
Most violated KF rule: 2. - Post titles should be descriptive of the contents of your post. i.e. "Help with fuel injectors" instead of "HELP!!!!"


LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:12 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum Ninja H2 Forum