I picked it up last summer with around 20,000 miles on it. The po laid it down and beat it up pretty well. I am currently in the process of adjusting valves, syncing carbs, installing an undertail and tire hugger and turning it black. When I got it , it had been lowered and had no mirrors or turn signals. I raised it back up (I am 6' tall so lowered felt a little goofy) and made it street legal again.
Here is how it was shortly after getting it:
Here is it was before I took it apart:
I will have more updates in the future and I am sure I will have lots of questions as this is the first project bike I have owned. I previously rode a 2007 Ninja 650r and got bored with it (2 cylinder bike was not that exciting and sounded like a 4 wheeler).
Thanks for all the good info on this site!
Thanks! I tore it down to check valve clearances today but will actually be checking them tomorrow. Hopefully they are not too far out. After that I am going to clean the carbs and get some new spark plugs before putting it back together.
Location: Chesapeake, VA '06 ZZR fighter, 05 VTX-1300
Is that duct tape holding the front cowl together? LOL. Yeah the previous owner did a number on it for sure. The upper mount on the right side fairing on my ZZR broke off just like yours did. If you still have all the pieces you can plastic weld that stuff back together. That's what I did after my last spill.
Most violated KF rule: 2. - Post titles should be descriptive of the contents of your post. i.e. "Help with fuel injectors" instead of "HELP!!!!"
Yeah... I put the duct tape on it. When I bought it, the front cowl was just flapping around in the wind. I ended up buying a used front cowl and right side cowl. I have a buddy that works in a body shop that is painting everything for me. If I would ever mess these fairings, I would probably buy a plastic welder and learn how to do it all myself. I just dont like doing body work
Had a pretty day yesterday so I wheeled it out of the garage to work on it.
I ended up needing to adjust 12 out of 16 valves. Unfortunately, my shim kit did not have enough shims in it so I need to get some more shims. I also tore down the carbs using a write-up on here. Strangely enough, the carbs and jets were spotless.
I broke out the spray paint today to get rid of the awful brownish color the side covers had. I also got my valve job finished up, cleaned the chain, sprockets, brakes, wheels and swingarm and got a few other things done.