Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

The ****** Builds Thread

43K views 163 replies 35 participants last post by  WildCard 
#1 · (Edited)
just thought i'd show yas the latest n greatest coming from my very hands.
mid or late 70's xs650 bobber build. got it fired up today. re-designing the charging system. false tank under the seat holds the electrics, some switches.

went thru and fixed a hanging float in #1 carb today. fired right off after putting oil in it. should be a cool bike when i'm done. pretty much my project bike and my initiation into the new shop i'm at.

unmolested stock harness

ignition switch in false tank

molested stock harness.

battery box tacked in.

making the ignition power and headlight power harness.

gonna TIG these little guys tothe frame and run the eires thru those instead of using zip ties. it's thinwall 1/4 pipe or somethin like that.

well. lots more to go. going to rip the motor out probably tomorrow or tuesday and once i get my tig rig to the shop, go over EVERY joint on the hard tail swap where some shit was only tacked with mig.. zap the batter box and false tank and seat brackets, wire supports and misc shit.. then off to the powdercoaters with some more brackets i'll make for the single speedo and H-D headlight.

See less See more
#33 · (Edited)
lol.. i'm kinda at a stand still. waiting for frame and wheels to come back from powdercoating.
the other one i am sorta having a mental block as to a direction :(

but, i'll have another oil pan fix pic tomorrow..lol
low 9 sec sprayed R1. street ridden.. same deal as the green dime. hit something. pushed collector into pan. more precisely, the servo mount. cut one of the tabs off the servo block to make room. it'll get by with 3. lol

have the pan clamped up and cleaned and V'd out right now. i will preheat and weld and all in.. 9 hours.

#37 ·
gixxer racebike subframe repair.. mah boy crashed at VIR needs to be up and ready for SPR on the 4th of july.. think i got him taken care of.. lol

got the gauge/upper fairing stay prepped. will weld tomorrow morning and ship out.

ohlins box full of broken metal. lol

#39 ·
*bows*
for JUST a second.. i looked at the box.. laughed.. shook it and was like FFFUUUUUUUU..............

then ****** fix mode engaged automagically and i put in work.

#40 ·
Damn dude, that's a lot of work! Any way to check to see if it was straight after fitting and welding?

#41 ·
nope. just sorta had to wing it :( i'll know friday night if it came out ok.

at least when cast breaks, it barely distorts.

#43 ·
dude i may swing to az at some time.. my boys cyberdos and slob live there.. got 4 good friends in your area..
always a possibility i can hook you up out there.
appreciate the kind words man

#45 ·
pic dump, bitches. i. over the last month i've been adamantly doin shit at A Plus Motorsports here in wilmington.. so much so i've adopted a set of keys to the place like i owns it.

this shit is unrelated.. but i might as well show it off.. a clock i built for blissful bedrooms charity.

ok.

fucked 05 636 stator cover. 60mph lowside.
can we fix it? no its fucked?

sheeeeit son.

was welded with 5356 @ 100% argon with 2% thoriated.

onto a 9R i just built. lots of ghetto fab was on this thing. fucked electrical system. zip ties galore. so much so that it cost him a CDI. a "reputable" shop from in town lowered it and never adjusted the suspension for this linebacker-sized dude. hes a big motherfucka.. the ensuing sag on this dude's suspension caused the tire to rub a hole in the undertail. the ensuing hole was perfectly under the CDI, which had a solitary zip tie holding it. it fell out of that tie and onto the tire. lots of fucked up wires on the thing.
bike got a new chain, cdi, welded extensions, preload adjustment, fiberglass to the holes in the hugger, lots of small custom brackets, wiring fixes and.. a smoky burnout thru the parkinglot when i rode it. lol

the swingarm.. myrtle west 3-6 extension.

and fuck fucking photobucket because every goddamn time i go on a pic dumpin spree it goes and fucks up.

more later when photohomo decides to stop being a loser.

#46 · (Edited)
ok shit is working again.

now that THATS all painted n shit.. on to the rear seat, which was held in by zip ties. formed up some shits for it. took angle iron, hammered it flat in typical poor-style ghetto fab fashion, cut it in half and banged it out on a hand rail to form my radii.

you can see. .theres nothing holding that seat down..

the beginning..

bolted in.. decided they felt a touch flimsy if someone wanted to try to pull the seat up.. added a sidewall.

was welded with Autogenous TIG. 2% thoriated, 100% argon. 35ADC on a footpedal @300Hz.

onto the front seat. there wasn't shit holding the back of it..

this came out nice considering it was thin ass flat stock and i used pliers and a vise to bend it cold. i eyeballed it too. didn't take a single measurement.. cut a random slice, held it in sorta where it was gonna be, popped a hole in it and called it done.

yes i'm that good. lol

new CDI bracket. also hold the starter solenoid. had the junction box velcro'd to the cdi but.. it didnt work out. shitty to cuz it looked great there as you'll see in the pic. i moved the j box back a few inches and it cleared everything perfectly.

#49 ·
:(

sadly thats the majority of the work.. it's what makes money. if it turns into dragbike motor builds i am game.. hoping it transfers to racebikes in time.. but for now, this is what i will use to network and establish myself here.

#48 ·
soo.. this WAS the setup. i didn't get a pic of the j box relocation.. its not as hot.. but it still came out nice because i am a motherfuckin pro and pro shit is what i mothafuckin do, mothafuckas.

heres the shop owner on the bike gearing up for a test ride. notice the custom 1 piece leathers as well. we are all about rider safety at A+ Motorsports..

oh. since i got my timeline all messed up. heres the CDI that got destroyed on the tire by the "precision" shop.. and a wiring harness i made for the headlight.

and

heres a gixxer i lowered.

loved the fuck out of that blue. it was gorgeous.. but its still a suzuki :(

#53 ·
Keep it up bro.

Don't forget you got a turbo header to make me once my camaro is done :D.

#55 ·
it will be fun :D

God dammut, why am I just now seeing this thread for the first time? I fail. Your work is inspiring, man. I can't wait until I learn to weld. I finally have a garage ALL to myself. Now I need some motherfuckin' cool tools.

Yes, this. Get money, fuck bitches. Not necessarily in that order.

I was gonna say the same. Looks like my old bike, only mine was capable leaning and doing some nassssty wheelies.
you fail but it's ok. still luff you.

vindicate your manhood and having a garage and build shit sirrrr

#58 ·
moar.

1986 yamahammer warrior. busted up case.
thing is MINTY as hell. too bad someone tossed fiberglass jelly over the holes to gill them.

you bitches know the set-up. straight argon w/ 2% thoriated, 5356. holla.

#60 ·
moar.

1986 yamahammer warrior. busted up case.
thing is MINTY as hell. too bad someone tossed fiberglass jelly over the holes to gill them.

you bitches know the set-up. straight argon w/ 2% thoriated, 5356. holla.
Had the same kind of cracked case on a Honder 250r quad when a chain snapped in my younger days, JB Weld FTMFW!!

But fiberglass?? Wtf.... :confused:

#61 ·
ya man i THINK there was a touch of jb weld in there. i hit some sorta grayish stuff when i was cleaning and prepping the surface. aluminum is a finicky whore when you gotta weld it. it needs to be SO damn clean. thats regular aluminum. cast is even worse. WAY worse. it pits and pores up and crackles and carries on.. won't melt right.. contaminates migrate to the top of the puddle if it's not perfect then the weld bead looks like shit because it's got bits of carbon and junk sprinkled thru it.. makes it look horrible and compromises the integrity of the bead.. the bottom piece of 'glass came off in one chunk. i smacked it with a screwdriver and pulled a corner and it peeled right off exposing the dime-sized hole and bearing behind it. the top hole was a bit more robust probably because the guy who slathered the shit on there could pile it on and get it into the hole instead of laying it on thin like the bottom.. trying to stay out of the bearing. that pic does no justice as to how damn pretty the top hole filled in. i was REALLY happy with the results. i wish i could freely advertise welding cases on here. it's something i think i'd enjoy, honestly. i love taking busted ass shit ( like this case, or the 636 stator cover) and making them look like nothing ever happened to them. it's rewarding to see the craft i busted my ass to learn serve my customer with a nice workpiece, saved money and a showcase of what i've learned over the years.

as much as i hate to see hacks get their hands on stuff and do something like fiberglass an engine case, its those guys who ultimately put food in my fridge. i don't mind them fuckin shit up. their the ones who keep me busy in the long run. if it wasn't for them, i'd have to get back into electrical engineering.. well, i actually miss that anyway.. MAY have gotten a part-time programming gig to from a dirtbike customer. but thats another story.

#62 ·
I am actually pretty impressed you got it too look that nice, considering what you were working on. All that oil and grease and the porous, dirty nature of cast aluminum is a recipe for a tough fix. I honestly would have asked the customer to bring me just the case to work on so I could get it super clean. You did a nice job man, I am impressed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.