Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1995 zx11 ram air issues

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  bucknrolls 
#1 ·
Traded a quad for a 1995 zx11 a couple years ago. When I got it I was told all it need was a starter relay...bullshit. It now has whole new clutch from the basket out, all new dynatek ignition system carb has been rebuilt a couple times but it is finally running and I can ride it. The only issues I have left are a oil leak that I can’t quite find. It ends up trickling down the water pump...doesn’t look like it’s the shift lever I would imagine it’s something on the oil pump but looks like it leaks from the water pump. Then the other issue is it doesn’t like to maintain speed. Once you first crack open the throttle until you start accelerating it runs like shit and also runs like shit if the ram air is connected at 70mph+. With the ram air disconnected I can reach speeds of 100+ easily...I have rebuilt the carbs a couple times but still having these issues any advice is greatly appreciated. Been a two year project saving this bike from being a parts bike

#2 · (Edited)
There's a little 'fuel-filter' looking thing that I found clogged-up, midway along the flexible-tubing which goes from the air-intake 'pitot tube' (which you should see peeking from behind both catfish-mouth air-intakes) and then disappears under the gas-tank/dash-fascia panels, and hooks up to your carburetors (yours being a D-model ZX11 you will probably have TWO of them) and when you pull them from the flexible hoses, there'll be screen-door 'Mesh' like material, which over the years has likely scooped-up ('inhaled' ?) dirt, dust, bugs, etc...and if those filters are clogged-up badly enough, they won't allow the float-bowls to be properly 'pressurized' (at speed) which leads to inefficient feul-delivery.

I have a first-year 90' (C1) ZX11 which I'm trying to sell, and during my restoration-efforts, I found that filter-thingy really clogged-up...disconnected it, sprayed Gumout carb-and-choke cleaner through both ends of it, put thumb & forefinger to close it off, shook it violently, then poured out the brown sticky-mess, repeated the process until I could see total-daylight through the filter-thingy, reinserted it, and magically she ran like a RAPED-ape again...

...but now my carbs leak, so she's banished to the trailer, till I can get the money saved-up to have the carbs done properly.

Anyone interested in a 90' ZX11 ?

I actually kinda/really need a KLR650, given the environment I live & work in...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.