Here is a pic of the first attempt at the swingarm conversion. I wanted to ride so bad that I went to a muffler shop and he made me some hidious pipes! They truely looked like shit.
I rode it like that for about 500 miles. Sweat my ass off the whole time due to small links in the connections.
When I redid the tail section I took it to a fab shop to make me rear stainless steel pipes.
With the two can underneath the zx7r tail, it looks alittle two cluttered.
What do you think?
A single sided swingarm is not meant for weight loss. To achieve the same rigidity of a standard swingarm they need to be thicker and bigger. Read about the new 1098 and you'll see. However with the right stuff (like the 1098) you can make it very light.
Its really nothing more than looks, and in some cases it was design for speedy wheel changes. Nothing else.
Personally I think they look great. Specially on undertail or left side exhaust bikes.
If it cost less than about 4+ grand total (SSSA + wheels) to do, I'd do it. I pulled this from another thread. Funny how this stuff can cost that much to fab up. I spent about $1000 in spacers, because I wanted them done TODAY. So I had to pay extra. Trial and error, trial and error. I now have it done right. Kept having to make the spacers to move the sssa over 1/8 at a time!!! lol.
I see that you did the same thing that I did. I had to have someone machine me a special spacer/nut/threaded/thing for the left side of the bike. and another spacer for the right side of the bike.
I am a machinist, so I did all the machining myself and made all spacers also. My dad made the exhaust from scratch. By the way your bike looks great.
I have 2 7r's with sssa!!!!!!
Here is a pic of my other 7r. It's a 96. The #1 cylinder is bad. It's in the shop right now.
This triumph wheel was a challenge to get done. Had to shave off 12mm off the face of the rim to make it work. Did you know that the Triumph hub is IDENTICAL to the Honda hub! Perfect fit. I used the Triumph hub,axle and rotor only. The rest is all VFR.
I had to machine about 5mm off the face of the VFR brake caliper. Now it looks like the Triumph brake caliper.