05-06 ZX6R/RR Change out shifting forks - Page 3 - KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Intermediate Member
 
spooner427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Streamwood,IL USA 2005_ZX-6R_track/street 2004_Aprilia_RSV1000 2000_250_Sherpa
Posts: 1,835
           
Ok did the squidly thing and really test my bike out on the street and it is still doing it but only in 3rd now. I am thinkin now either I splitt the case and change out the 2 worn gears in the trans or I try and change out the shifting drum with a spare I have and see if that will hold me till this winter..... Still not decided... Miss this weekend and fix it totally or try and do just the shift drum and possibly have to drop out the motor still anyways to change the gears.... It's tough I really want to race this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixxerboi View Post
where did you get the spanner wrench tool from? i need one asap
I ordered mine from kneedraggers.com
http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...l--503557.html
spooner427 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 01:50 PM
Member
 
dudewhrsmybike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Posts: 546
        
Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
After taking the clutch cover off, how exactly do I remove the clutch? I am working on finding a spanner tool to borrow for the next step. . . .

"Ridden more aggressively, the original ZX-10R is so fcuking mad it makes Hollywood hell-raiser Russell Crowe look like a tea-drinking nancy boy." -Chris Moss
dudewhrsmybike is offline  
post #23 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 10:08 PM
Member
 
dudewhrsmybike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Posts: 546
        
Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post
After taking the clutch cover off, how exactly do I remove the clutch? I am working on finding a spanner tool to borrow for the next step. . . .
OK nvm stupid question, I undid the clutch springs and took them out and then removed clutch plates.

Anywho, Since I haven't got a hold of the tool yet I tried a block of wood b/t the wheel and swingarm and the wood just got ate up so yea, gotta have the tool.

I have a large torque wrench that seems to provide enough leverage and I can use a pipe for extra leverage if needed. I don't feel comfortable using an impact gun

"Ridden more aggressively, the original ZX-10R is so fcuking mad it makes Hollywood hell-raiser Russell Crowe look like a tea-drinking nancy boy." -Chris Moss
dudewhrsmybike is offline  
 
post #24 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 10:19 PM
Powerhungry
 
nevada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Yakima, Wa..... 2005 636
Posts: 37,338
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooner427 View Post
Ok did the squidly thing and really test my bike out on the street and it is still doing it but only in 3rd now. I am thinkin now either I splitt the case and change out the 2 worn gears in the trans or I try and change out the shifting drum with a spare I have and see if that will hold me till this winter..... Still not decided... Miss this weekend and fix it totally or try and do just the shift drum and possibly have to drop out the motor still anyways to change the gears.... It's tough I really want to race this weekend.



I ordered mine from kneedraggers.com
http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...l--503557.html
that sucks man. sorry to hear it, altho..im not really surprised. i sorta expected it to do it still.

as mine was jumping BADLY. and there was very little wear showing on the dogs.

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7452561/


ERIN

PM me for info about contributing to Erins boob job. pics in the link above.
nevada is offline  
post #25 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Intermediate Member
 
spooner427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Streamwood,IL USA 2005_ZX-6R_track/street 2004_Aprilia_RSV1000 2000_250_Sherpa
Posts: 1,835
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudewhrsmybike View Post
I have a large torque wrench that seems to provide enough leverage and I can use a pipe for extra leverage if needed. I don't feel comfortable using an impact gun
I don't own an impact and use a long torque wrench to break it but an impact has gotta be easier for the first time. Mine has been taken apart before so it goes pretty easy. It's put on with like 100ftlbs.

**NEVADA**
You should have spoke up!!!! I'm play'in. What gear was jumping and and how many/which did you replace. The shift drum didn't look bad so I just kept taking it apart and the motor is now in pieces on the garage floor. I got the gears out and called it a night.
Did you change yours out yourself and how do you get the C clips off the trans shaft? I am gonna have to go find a tool at the store tommorow. Last time I split the case I swapped out complete shafts and didn't change single gears out on the shafts.
spooner427 is offline  
post #26 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Powerhungry
 
nevada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Yakima, Wa..... 2005 636
Posts: 37,338
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooner427 View Post
I don't own an impact and use a long torque wrench to break it but an impact has gotta be easier for the first time. Mine has been taken apart before so it goes pretty easy. It's put on with like 100ftlbs.

**NEVADA**
You should have spoke up!!!! I'm play'in. What gear was jumping and and how many/which did you replace. The shift drum didn't look bad so I just kept taking it apart and the motor is now in pieces on the garage floor. I got the gears out and called it a night.
Did you change yours out yourself and how do you get the C clips off the trans shaft? I am gonna have to go find a tool at the store tommorow. Last time I split the case I swapped out complete shafts and didn't change single gears out on the shafts.
2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 6th, the drum, and 2 forks were all replaced. but no, i didnt do it myself. initially i was under the impression my warranty would cover it....

2nd jumped the worst, but 3rd would also.

im not exactly sure how they run in there...but i think 2nd drives 5th, and 3 drives 6th..or something.

if one is worn, and needs replaced..likely its counter part is worn, and should be replaced also...
does that makes sense?

youve got the dogs, that stick out the side..that get wore. but youve also got the corresponding holes the dogs engage into. that also get wore...and should be replaced. clear as mud?

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7452561/


ERIN

PM me for info about contributing to Erins boob job. pics in the link above.
nevada is offline  
post #27 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 11:49 PM
Member
 
dudewhrsmybike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Posts: 546
        
Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Ok so with the help of my bud we got the clutch basket off with the impact and a 2x2 above the swingarm and through the wheel or something like that, I turned around for a SECOND and my buddy had the basket in his hands. . .SWEET getting closer. . . . to the harder shit hahah

"Ridden more aggressively, the original ZX-10R is so fcuking mad it makes Hollywood hell-raiser Russell Crowe look like a tea-drinking nancy boy." -Chris Moss
dudewhrsmybike is offline  
post #28 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Intermediate Member
 
spooner427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Streamwood,IL USA 2005_ZX-6R_track/street 2004_Aprilia_RSV1000 2000_250_Sherpa
Posts: 1,835
           
**Nevada**
Yeah that does make sence and the crappy part is it starts to add up quickly when ordering all the parts. I do have another whole set of gears so I might swap them out instead of buying new but I am not sure yet. Thanks for the info though.

**dudewmbike**
If you are doing the gears then everything after the motor is out is easy.
spooner427 is offline  
post #29 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 12:45 AM
Member
 
dudewhrsmybike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Posts: 546
        
Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Ladies and gentleman, please have your children look away from the screen for a brief moment while we show you some VERY VERY disturbing pictures!

"Ridden more aggressively, the original ZX-10R is so fcuking mad it makes Hollywood hell-raiser Russell Crowe look like a tea-drinking nancy boy." -Chris Moss
dudewhrsmybike is offline  
post #30 of 117 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 12:47 AM
Member
 
dudewhrsmybike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Posts: 546
        
Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike

"Ridden more aggressively, the original ZX-10R is so fcuking mad it makes Hollywood hell-raiser Russell Crowe look like a tea-drinking nancy boy." -Chris Moss
dudewhrsmybike is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome