Repairing 14 years old Dial-a-Jet
I went to start my single carb 600cc V-twin Honda cruiser, and the starter kept turning but no starting. After a few seconds the starter slowed down- the 2 years old BikeMaster brand battery was weak, even after a trickle charge for a few hours.
New battery added- still not starting but the starter was turning very well. I had filled the fuel tank at the end of the last ride, but opened the gas cap and looked in the tank anyways- it was empty!
All of the fuel had leaked away and evaporated on the garage floor while it was parked. I then noticed some new staining on the floor under the bike. I always keep the fuel turned on for this reason- I want any leaks to happen while the bike is parked, instead of while I am riding and stranded. Also, as fuel evaporates from the carb while parked for weeks, the float valve will open to add new fuel. I put StarTron in the fuel tank during long storage.
The Dial-a-Jet installed by me 14 years ago has a small fuel hose going from the carb drain plug hole at the bottom of the carb float bowl and up to a black plastic box attached on top of the inner carb rubber boot, with a needle jet poked though this rubber and to the center of the carb airflow.
It uses acoustics to sense when the engine needs more fuel, and brings it up from the bottom of the carb, keeping all the fuel in the bottom of the carb fresher while riding. There is a white dial on the top of this box to turn with a screwdriver, to add or remove fuel as needed.
This hose broke from age and engine heat after 14 years. I should have bought a new hose years ago. I also added a Dynojet brand jet kit inside this carb 14 years ago- the Dial-a-Jet added enough fuel for the exhaust changes, but not enough for the added airbox and air filter changes.
Today I added a small new heat shield made from thin sheet aluminum between the engine cylinder and the bottom of the carb float bowl. This original hose came with a wire woven sleeve for the outside of the hose to block heat, that I used again.
I went to an auto parts store for a chainsaw fuel hose 2 feet long that is the same size (one new hose and one new spare hose to add to the bike tool kit). I bought 100 narrow 4-inch long zip wire ties to tighten hose ends, like the original had, and to carry a lot of extras in the tool kit since they did not have a smaller package of them.
The bike starts right up and runs well now, like it has the last 14 years.