Upgrade to 650 or 300? - KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Upgrade to 650 or 300?

Bough a new 250 a few months ago and love it but want more power. Saw a nice new 2012 650 in nice color. How much more power does the new 300 have? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 03:52 PM
Intermediate Member

assuming you bought your bike on your join date, dont bother upgrading. learn your bike some more. power isnt everything

Elka 3 way shock|Penske fork valves|Leo full titanium & CF|Hyperpro steering damper|GB frame slider & engine casings|Woodcraft clipons|Pazzos|ZG|Proton
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 04:03 PM

Not enough. You'll need a 650r most likely. The 650 is a work horse. Accelerates very nicely in all gears and gives you passing power. You may even find the 650r is a little slow in a few months. I did. So I went with a Triumph Street Triple r at 416 lbs wet and 106 hp. and it makes the 650 feel slow and boat-like in comparison. That's my fast bike. Mileage is not so good as you might expect. Now I am looking at a 300 for my slower, better mileage, around-town and on the twisties bike. I consider the 650r a tween bike. If I could only have one bike, it would be the 650r, but since I can have two or more, I want something faster and something smaller. I stayed with the 250r about 3 months and the same with the 650r. People are all different though, but I think the 300 will be too close in performance to the 250r.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone. I expected and truly appreciate the diverse opinions here. I know I may take a bath financially just having bought new but wonder about the power difference with the 300.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 05:00 PM

I was as gung-ho as anyone when I heard about the 300 and if you had asked me a month or so ago I would've told you that I was definitely going to trade in my CBR 250 for one but now that I've had time to contemplate the idea and actually see a 300 in person I'm just not able to justify the move.

I'm no big fan of my CBR and I'd love to get something else but I just can't rationalize coughing up the $2500-$3000 it would cost for the additional 46cc, if I do end up ditching the WeeBR it'll be for something like the Ninja 650, Yamaha FZ-6R, or BMW G650GS. The rumored 400-500cc Honda might also be a consideration if it ever becomes a reality.

2013 Ninja 300 ABS
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 05:16 PM

if your looking for a high power bike a 300 will not be the answer.. I am very happy with my 250 & my new 300, but I was looking for commuting for I wanted comfortable position and good fuel economy.. I did the high power bike thing years ago, and now its just not my thing anymore, now I just ride to ride
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2012, 05:53 PM

you'll see a difference in power in the 650, but nothing explosive line an inline-4 600cc motor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode