8000 miles Service on 2011 Kawi 650R... what's done? - KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: VA, USA
Posts: 324
        
Lightbulb 8000 miles Service on 2011 Kawi 650R... what's done?

Hello,

Sorry if its a repeat question, but I tried searching for this topic, but didn't find any information on it.

Hence, asking about what's done in a 8000 miles service/maintenance schedule for a 2011 Kawi 650R?

My dealer gave me some 'BS" sounding list (mainly cleaning and inspecting stuff, engine oil change was only actual work I heard in that list) and said it's going to be around $400-$450 + taxes as applicable.

Thanks,
Rider.
VA_Glocker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 07:53 PM
Member
 
Zandit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tasmania
Posts: 420
      
Check out the service manual, and that will tell you everything,
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0f...wZjAzNjhh/view

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 650R ABS Island Metallic Blue.
PC5, Yoshi Exhaust, Sport Bars 3.0, Driven D3 Grips,Pirelli Angel Tyres, CF Rimtape, Bar ends & Spools, Givi Luggage, New Ninja Decals, Double Adjustable Levers, TonyBKK's Frame Sliders, Zero Gravity DB Windscreen in Dark Smoke, Narva +120% Headlights, and one Awesome Wing Nut between the seat and Handle bars!!!!
Zandit is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 09:58 AM
Mad Hatter
 
alex2002zx6r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New Jersey, United States.
Posts: 1,318
           
everything is a check except the spark plugs. should've been replaced. But you kinda do need everything checked at 8k.

08 gsxr 600-beater
Ford Exploder Zombie Response Vehicle
#zombieresponseteam @ IG
alex2002zx6r is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 11:37 AM
Intermediate Member
 
Bboytaktix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 1,258
           
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2002zx6r View Post
everything is a check except the spark plugs. should've been replaced. But you kinda do need everything checked at 8k.
lol, no...

I changed my tires at 14,000km (8700 miles), chain and sprocket at 22,000km (13,600 miles) and regular oil/filter change every 5,000km and that's it. My 2013 650 looked pristine and ran like new when I traded it in at 24,500km (15,200 miles)

Check tire pressure, tire wear, chain and sprocket wear, do your regular maintenance. Change your engine air filter if you see that it is excessively dirty. If bike is running strange then take the time to check spark plugs as well, but I hightly doubt they will go bad after 8000 miles. Mine still looked great at 13,600 miles. All depends how you ride I guess. These machines are very reliable and quite low maintenance. Most of Kawasaki's maintenance schedule is a 'check' and not a 'change' so use your own discretion OR bring it to a professional.
Bboytaktix is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 01:29 PM
Mad Hatter
 
alex2002zx6r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New Jersey, United States.
Posts: 1,318
           
[QUOTE=Bboytaktix;4261305]lol, no...

If bike is running strange then take the time to check spark plugs as well, but I hightly doubt they will go bad after 8000 miles. Mine still looked great at 13,600 miles.

The service manual says to change the plugs at 7.5 k.

noone in the right mind should go through the trouble of removing a spark plug to check it and not spend 7 bucks (more or less) to replace it.

so "yes" Thanks.

08 gsxr 600-beater
Ford Exploder Zombie Response Vehicle
#zombieresponseteam @ IG
alex2002zx6r is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 01:35 PM
Intermediate Member
 
Bboytaktix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 1,258
           
[quote=alex2002zx6r;4261537]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboytaktix View Post
lol, no...

If bike is running strange then take the time to check spark plugs as well, but I hightly doubt they will go bad after 8000 miles. Mine still looked great at 13,600 miles.

The service manual says to change the plugs at 7.5 k.

noone in the right mind should go through the trouble of removing a spark plug to check it and not spend 7 bucks (more or less) to replace it.

so "yes" Thanks.
You're right. If the maintenance manual says to 'replace' the spark plugs, as it does in this particular case, then yes it will provide some peace of mind. The maintenance manual is generally the proper procedure to follow.

I find it quite ridiculous however (as do many others: http://www.riderforums.com/general-n...ark-plugs.html), and my 650 ran flawlessly until I traded it in with 24,500 km on the odometer.

Kind of like the dated break-in procedure in the manual that has been unchanged since the 70's. I find it comical people still believe they need to break in a modern motorcycle engine this way. When I got my zx636, I broke it in by riding it the way it is supposed to be ridden.

Last edited by Bboytaktix; 07-07-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Bboytaktix is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 01:46 PM
Mad Hatter
 
alex2002zx6r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New Jersey, United States.
Posts: 1,318
           
[quote=Bboytaktix;4261577]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2002zx6r View Post

You're right. If the maintenance manual says to 'replace' the spark plugs, as it does in this particular case, then yes it will provide some peace of mind. The maintenance manual is generally the proper procedure to follow.
here's how i based my response.

The guy is going to dealer to service... so basically the rape happens when the manual says "replace" you're facked.

the dealer will charge you. for whatever it says and if you question it, they will pull the book out and go "see"

NOW had he said... "I'm looking through the manual, what SHOULD I do" THEN I would totally agree with you... take em out... clean em... use them for a bit more.

That would be like if you or me walked into a shop and looked at the bill and went "SPARK PLUG?!" what the.... lol

08 gsxr 600-beater
Ford Exploder Zombie Response Vehicle
#zombieresponseteam @ IG
alex2002zx6r is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 01:48 PM
Intermediate Member
 
Bboytaktix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Montreal, Qc
Posts: 1,258
           
[quote=alex2002zx6r;4261609]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboytaktix View Post

here's how i based my response.

The guy is going to dealer to service... so basically the rape happens when the manual says "replace" you're facked.

the dealer will charge you. for whatever it says and if you question it, they will pull the book out and go "see"

NOW had he said... "I'm looking through the manual, what SHOULD I do" THEN I would totally agree with you... take em out... clean em... use them for a bit more.

That would be like if you or me walked into a shop and looked at the bill and went "SPARK PLUG?!" what the.... lol
yep, most people run the plugs until 50-80K and take em out only to realize they still look good as new (well, more or less). They're iridium too making them last much longer.

A lot of the things in the user manual have simply been copy/pasted from previous years for god-knows-how-long. They really should update the manuals with proper information when they refresh the models/engines. If only...
Bboytaktix is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-07-2015, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: VA, USA
Posts: 324
        
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit View Post
Check out the service manual, and that will tell you everything,
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0f...wZjAzNjhh/view
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2002zx6r View Post
everything is a check except the spark plugs. should've been replaced. But you kinda do need everything checked at 8k.
[quote=alex2002zx6r;4261537]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboytaktix View Post
lol, no...

If bike is running strange then take the time to check spark plugs as well, but I hightly doubt they will go bad after 8000 miles. Mine still looked great at 13,600 miles.

The service manual says to change the plugs at 7.5 k.

noone in the right mind should go through the trouble of removing a spark plug to check it and not spend 7 bucks (more or less) to replace it.

so "yes" Thanks.
[quote=alex2002zx6r;4261609]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboytaktix View Post

here's how i based my response.

The guy is going to dealer to service... so basically the rape happens when the manual says "replace" you're facked.

the dealer will charge you. for whatever it says and if you question it, they will pull the book out and go "see"

NOW had he said... "I'm looking through the manual, what SHOULD I do" THEN I would totally agree with you... take em out... clean em... use them for a bit more.

That would be like if you or me walked into a shop and looked at the bill and went "SPARK PLUG?!" what the.... lol
[quote=Bboytaktix;4261617]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2002zx6r View Post

yep, most people run the plugs until 50-80K and take em out only to realize they still look good as new (well, more or less). They're iridium too making them last much longer.

A lot of the things in the user manual have simply been copy/pasted from previous years for god-knows-how-long. They really should update the manuals with proper information when they refresh the models/engines. If only...


Thanks for the manual. So, for 8k miles, it says replace Spark-plug. What is your opinion/experience to replace it at 8k miles... is it waster of money?

Also, I do my own oil changes, so can I (technically) ask them not to do it during the 8K servicing?
VA_Glocker is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 03:33 AM
Intermediate Member
 
GR rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece
Posts: 1,934
           
[quote=VA_Glocker;4262177][quote=alex2002zx6r;4261537]

[quote=alex2002zx6r;4261609]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bboytaktix View Post



Thanks for the manual. So, for 8k miles, it says replace Spark-plug. What is your opinion/experience to replace it at 8k miles... is it waster of money?

Also, I do my own oil changes, so can I (technically) ask them not to do it during the 8K servicing?

Hi VA, from what I know our bike comes with iridium plugs fitted from the factory and their average life span is 24.000kms while regular spark plugs average 12.000 which corresponds with the 8.000 miles mark mentioned in the manual.


You can use any type or brand you like as long as their serial numbers match.


To be honest I don't remember what is stated on this subject about the euro edition right now so I will check later in the day
GR rider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the KawiForums - Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome