Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, so I know I’ve posted about this bike and issue before, but it’s been awhile and I’ve got some more information to report.

So I took my bike out on a ride today, to try and get some notes on it’s condition. And I’m now currently waiting out a quick little rain storm so I figured I’d post what I’ve noticed so far.

A little back story on the bike:
  • Bought it used from a dealer in December of ‘18 in Oregon so not much history past that
  • Shipped the bike to Hawaii in January of ‘19 when I moved
  • Rode the bike for about the first month as a daily before priorities shifted and I ended up driving my car daily. The bike sat pretty much from March to September. Without any fuel stabilizer or a battery tender. I know I know stupid mistake on my part
Ever since then I’ve been battling an issue of it idling rough. And twice now it’s stopped running on both cylinders and gone down to just one. I took it in for a tune up in October after fresh gas and a charge of the battery didn’t fix the issue. Mechanic summed it up to fouled plugs and replaced them too. Bike ran well for a week and so I slapped on a two bros full exhaust system with a PC V thinking my problems were gone. Well they came right back, and I’ve verified proper connection of the PC V and that it has the correct map on it.

Here’s some symptoms I’ve noticed in general and on today’s ride:
  • Very poor mpg ≈ 27 (I’m usually just city riding but still seems way too low)
  • Rpm stutters at idle (usually slightly, but sometimes more)
  • Shuttering on deceleration
  • Shutter at constant speeds (feels like I’m twitching the throttle, but my hand is steady)
  • Smooth on acceleration
  • Riding today, the bike started running off one cylinder at about 30 miles
  • Killed itself
  • Had to crank up the idle speed adjuster to keep it alive
  • Then after about 5-10 minutes of idling on one cylinder and giving it revs every so often it magically started firing on both cylinders

I’m gonna assume the spark plugs are fouled again from running rich it seems like. But what do you think could be causing all this?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it anything like this?

My 2014 ER6F is doing exactly this, and I am trying to find a solution too. No luck yet.
Just like that, plus other symptoms I mentioned, like randomly running off 1 cylinder. I took the bike apart, and got the throttle body taken out. Taking it into a shop today to have it looked out plus the injectors cleaned. We'll see what they say.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep us posted! I'm taking mine into the shop tomorrow too, so curious to hear how your bike is going.
I found the main throttle sensor vacuum hose was cracked. Fixed that. And also noticed one of the pilot screws seemed to be almost completely shut. But it’s possible it may have shifted around when removing throttle body from the engine. Also replaced the spark plugs, they’re not the cause of the problem but they were definitely covered in soot from running rich. Waiting on a motion pro manometer and 90 degree hex driver to sync the throttle bodies. Let’s hope that fixes it all!

Let me know what the shop says about yours please

1 - 5 of 5 Posts