Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a new rear caliper and lines. I bled the system 4 times and when the bike is sitting they work great but when you ride it they are way too weak. I felt a pulsing through the pedal so I checked and sure enough the rotor is bent about 2mm. I have a new one coming via Ebay. There are no leaks but I am wondering if a 2mm bend is enough to cause them to be really soft. I also heard that there could be air still in the lines at the connections that I need a pump to get out.
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
934 Posts
Umm, I'm no expert but I'd say definitely YES, a 2 mm is enough to cause the brakes to pulse and be really soft.
According to the service manual; Runout standard should be 0.15 mm or less, service limit is 0.3 mm.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Put a new rear rotor on and in case anyone is wondering a 636 rotor fits perfect on an 02 (I think it was even a different part number) now I can stop with the rear brake and no more pulsing. Im still wondering how hard it is to lock up the rear wheel on these bikes. I have never had a modern sport bike before and with all my other bikes it is easy to lock up the rear wheel. I have not been able to lock this one up. Is that normal? I figured with the seating position putting my fat ass(190lbs) directly over the rear wheel it is getting just too much traction. Or is my brake still too soft?

·
Registered
934 Posts
I've got NO problem locking my rear wheel up... [8D] BRAND new Bridgestone BT010s :D, although I tend to have my 206.lbs more towards the front of the bike. (Which would make the rear lighter and easier to lock-up.)

How are the rear pads looking?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pads look pretty good, I think Im gonna try and bleed um some more then maybe adjust the pedal, we'll see.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
So, how did it turn out? Did you get them adjusted? Yeah, you shouldn't have any problems locking up that rear wheel. But, if you can't, that is all the better because you really don't wanna lock that wheel up anyway. You situation allows you to forget having to worry about it.:D

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, im waiting on some other parts and then I figure I will do an oil change and bleed the brakes again. I have a friend with a mini vac so I will probably use that.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally got the rear brakes on line. My neighbor had a pump that you attach to an air compressor and it just sucks the fluid through really fast and that did the trick. Got the bike out on a great road and man it was a blast!!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
i prefer to have weak rear brakes...nothing like touching the rear brakes in a turn and the rear locking up...very bad....

i just got to get used to only using my front brakes...

only time I really have a problem with my rear locking up is when I do panic stops, but that's only becaseu there is practically no weight on the rear tire becasue I'm pulling the front brake like a mutha!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.