Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up this bike cheap as something to ride for the street. The previous owner put a yosh pipe on it but there is debate as to whether it was rejetted or not. when you blip the throttle, the rps shoot up and hang for a few seconds and then start coming down. No 600 I've ever been on has done this, and also while riding through traffic the idle kept increasing from about 1500 RPM to upwards of 2500. It sounds like its running pretty lean to me but though I should get a second opinion before I go tearing it open.

Thanks in advance,

Josh

·
Registered
93 Posts
Standing on the left side of the bike, look where the seat meets the fuel tank. Then just below that, you should be able to see a small gap running length wise with the bike between the frame and the tank. Follow this gap forward towards the handle bar. Stop at about the midway point. Look up at the tank about 2-3 inches and you should see the word,"Suzuki"- There's your problem. [^] Glad to be of help.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I put a full Yosh system on my 99 ZX6R and I didnt rejet it for probably about 400-500 miles. It never did anything like you are describing.

·
Un-Stealth Administrator
8,215 Posts
A buddy of mine had that problem on his 7R. It ended up being either a problem with the jetting/carbs, valve adjustment, or both, because he took it in and had the carbs cleaned and rejetted and had a valve adjust done, and the problem went away. If that's the case for you, you're looking at probably $500 in work or so, give or take. Not too bad, but I don't know how you feel about spending that money on an older bike.

·
Registered
319 Posts
i have a 2000 Katana 600 in my garage...its probably your idle adjustment screw, check that along with the springs on the adjuster....has be bike ever been down?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
why don't you start by just cleaning the carbs and putting them back together. if the idle solved most of it, it probably got synced and jetted when the exhaust was put on... a good cleaning may solve it all together.
:)
i think the 600 katana is a fine bike. weighs alot, but is plenty of fun for commuting.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I doubt that. Ever since working on the 250, I've learned to hate carbs :) Talked to *one* of the previous owners of the bike and he said they put the pipe on it and ran it for like three years, so its never been rejetted and proly needs a carb sync as well. I just get anoyed when it seems as if I just got another project bike. The reason I got concerned is my 250 had a similar fiasco. Put a muzzy full system on it, rejetted and the bike died 2K later, with bad valves. I'm starting to wonder of those little bike are just cursed, as every used motor I came across have either valve or rust problems.

In short, I've been spoiled by FI :D

JJ

·
Registered
703 Posts
.........pour gas all over it, stand back ,and then toss lit matches at it. see how maney matches it takes befor it catches on fire.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I worked on a guy's Katana 600 last year who had troubles.
Putting the carbs wasn't too bad, and they were pretty darn easy to get cleaned up, and reinstalled.

Then again, I'm the King of Bikes, and they know not to give me any lip. ;)
BC.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Originally posted by MRWGLO92
"Can of tuna"? Wonder what the trade in value is on that?
We been calling them can of tunas since the late 80's! that's the first time I've heard that in years! Ahhh memories..... BTW, trade it in for something else please!!! Suzuki has the 2 ugliest bikes in the history of motorcycles, the can o' tuna, and the hyabusa.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Originally posted by ldrexler
.........pour gas all over it, stand back ,and then toss lit matches at it. see how maney matches it takes befor it catches on fire.
I was gonna suggest something of this nature. I think the only problem with the bike is that it's a Katana :-(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.