Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just btw I am a car guy this is my first bike so I dont know much, so I got a 00 zx6r j1 over the summer from my dads friends that had been sitting for about 10 years under a tarp and loads of items in a shed for 100$! I immediately got it home and started to try to figure out everything. Apparently he used the bike for the track and changes all fairings to race fairings and removed mostly everything that was not needed to make it go fast. After about a month of research and picking up parts to get it to even start I got it to crank over and heard compression in all cylinders.. scared to start it cause of the race fuel still in it. I started to tear down the bike, only to realize I know nothing about carb motors or bike motors in general. I have it bare frame now so that I can start fresh from the beginning. While tearing it down I noticed the bike has aftermarket front forks, steering dampener, and Penske adjustable coil over in the back (idk if they come with that or not). I know to start to get basic things replaced as 10 years is a long time. But kind of looking for help on how to rebuild the motor and where to find parts for it (gaskets, seals, ect). When I look it up on Google nothing seems to come up on bikes of those years, mainly trying to find out the tear town procedure of the motor and torque specs so I can put it back together. The bike was also dropped once, the damage didnt look to bad but is there anything I should check for? it was on the throttle side.

·
Registered
197 Posts
So what is your intent? You bought a converted race bike with the intention of legally registering and street riding? You have title to enable that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
  • Yeah it was always titled which I have now, but the last time inspected or anything like that was like 2005 so I have everything for that, I'm trying to make it my spring summer daily so I can work on my car with something to have fun with. Right now just going to be rebuilding the engine if that's even plausible, but looking for other things to look for to rebuild as well since it's been so long

·
Registered
344 Posts
  • Yeah it was always titled which I have now, but the last time inspected or anything like that was like 2005 so I have everything for that, I'm trying to make it my spring summer daily so I can work on my car with something to have fun with. Right now just going to be rebuilding the engine if that's even plausible, but looking for other things to look for to rebuild as well since it's been so long
Make sure to get a service manual. A good service manual should have the necessary information to complete the work. Especially, if you've already had some experience working on engines.

For gaskets, I've personally had good luck with permatex gasket maker, but you can also get generic paper gaskets to replace any paper gaskets, just trace the part on the gasket and cut away the bits you don't need.

When scraping the old gaskets away, it's a good idea to use something relatively soft like plastic to reduce the risk of gouging the metal. IIRC, permatex makes a plastic utility knife for that purpose and I suspect they're not the only ones.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Why tear down the engine? Do a compression check if it is good leave the engine alone. The carbs just probably need a good cleaning. Ebay can be your go to web site to find parts.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts