Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

00' ZX9 vs 06' GIXXER 1000

15K views 63 replies 18 participants last post by  NinetySix 
#1 ·
Raced an 06 GSXR 1000 today from stop and from 60 roll on.........wasnt pretty...lol I faired OK from a dead stop... Jumped in front till 5th gear and he shot by me. 60 roll on I faired the same results....top end on them Gixxers are pretty impressive....Even with my 998 kit.. Not to mention our bikes weigh like 100 lbs more, o well....

#2 ·
What did you expect? The new liter bikes can not even be compared to our 9's. It is a totaly differt world now, than in 98 when the zx9r was the hot ticket. All about all out performance numbers and nothing to do with ridability and comfort.

#4 ·
I've been hanging out at R1 forums lately (because of my Yammy snowmobile, R1 type motor) and guys with 03 and down R1's are struggling to break 130 rwhp. Hell, my ZX9 made 131 on a conservative dyno!

Btw, I test drove the 06 ZX10 Friday and a 06 R1 a week ago, and the R1 was a dog compared to the ZX10. All I got to say is 'holy shit' that ZX10 pulls so frikin hard, I looked down at the speedo and it was at 259 kms!! Even with +2 on the rear sprocket of my ZX9, I see no way I'd keep up to the ZX10. ESPECIALLY once the ZX10 was in second gear!!!

#5 ·
Hahaha well i didnt expect to win, You know how it is, you ride all day blast past him a few times and then he makes a comment. Win or loose, i had to show him, out the hole the ZX9 aint no slouch.... I even rode his bike and through 4th it feels no different than ours, just that top end at around 130 starts pulling, and pulling so strong i was like SH!T!!!

#6 ·
Sometimes you guys piss me off! At one time the ZX-9R was the fastest street bike in production and was THE bike to get. YOU CAN GET THE ZX-9R TO EAT NEWER LITER BIKES with the right rider and set-up. (Period)

You guys always think that the ZX-9R is the heaviest bike in the world. [:M42]

#7 ·
Originally posted by KawBoy81
Raced an 06 GSXR 1000 today from stop and from 60 roll on.........wasnt pretty...lol I faired OK from a dead stop... Jumped in front till 5th gear and he shot by me. 60 roll on I faired the same results....top end on them Gixxers are pretty impressive....Even with my 998 kit.. Not to mention our bikes weigh like 100 lbs more, o well....
Are you SURE that you have a 998 kit in your bike? And our bikes do not weigh like 100 pounds more.

[?]

#8 ·
Originally posted by 2000ZX9R
Sometimes you guys piss me off! At one time the ZX-9R was the fastest street bike in production and was THE bike to get. YOU CAN GET THE ZX-9R TO EAT NEWER LITER BIKES with the right rider and set-up. (Period)

You guys always think that the ZX-9R is the heaviest bike in the world. [:M42]
zx-9's are strong. Since when though, were they the fastest production bike. I believe in the zx9r's time frame it was either the zx-11 or cbrxx blackbird. Correct me if i'm wrong though....

#9 ·
2000ZX9R - Nah man im not sure i have the 998 kit, I dont know what i was thinking..... *shakes head* must have been a dream

But my bike weighs around 410 lbs......the new Gixxer 1000 is a claimed 365..... Might not be my stated 100lbs but it was just a figure, this still is a big difference....... They were never the fastest production bike, not sure where u read that but your source was wrong....

#12 ·
Im dying to know.... I've never had it dyno'd but the Muzzy rep states that the 998 kit produced 164 at rear wheel on a otherwise...stock motor. I have degreed cams, Muzzy advance, factory pro jet kit...Full Muzzy exhaust....Im going to get it dyno tuned here soon and will post numbers, my carbs are Sh!tty its been setting up about a year and a half, needs to be synced, cleaned and floats adjusted....I have a horrible flat spot under 4,000rpms then it wakes up

#13 ·
yeah it says on the muzzy website that the 998 kit with a full muzzy system and appropriate jetting will make 160hp at the wheel... the advancer and cam work will only help

do you have stock gearing? if it increases torque that much, you might wanna think about making the gears longer! all late model litre bikes can do 100mph+ in first gear...

#14 ·
98-99 the zx9r actualy had 1/4 mile and hp times equal to if not better in SOME cases than the R1, Allthough the general consensus(HYPE) was that the R1 was the superior bike, kind of like the present day Liter bikes, even though the zx10R has a decided edge in HP and all out performance, it is still a crap shoot as to which trash bike rag picks as the best liter bike. Magazines have been notoriously anti-kawi in the past not giving them the cred tha tthey deserve, can you say advertising money? If I remember correctly sport rider got the 98 zx9r in the 9's and still gave the crown to the R1. Anyway, like I have said a thousand times, don't waste your time comparing bike s based on numbers alone, none of us can come close to using the fulll potential of these bikes, we'd probably have a hard time getting 100% out of a 500R. So just enjoy your bike for what it is, you can have just as much if not more fun on a 9 as a 10R or Gixxer.

#15 ·
Originally posted by KawBoy81
2000ZX9R - Nah man im not sure i have the 998 kit, I dont know what i was thinking..... *shakes head* must have been a dream

But my bike weighs around 410 lbs......the new Gixxer 1000 is a claimed 365..... Might not be my stated 100lbs but it was just a figure, this still is a big difference....... They were never the fastest production bike, not sure where u read that but your source was wrong....
I was just about to post this same question......... On the highway doing 40-60... in 80-90 degree temps in 6th mine runs around 170-180

In traffic, stop and go mine has been as high as 220 in 80-90 degree weather.... This raised an area of concern... I pulled into my fathers driveway and without flow it kept rising with bike off to about 240 fan kicked on for about 5 mins then cut off...Shouldnt fan have stayed on till the temp went down? Mods include: 998 kit, full muzzy exhaust, 4 degree advance, cams degreed <-- so guy says..... factory pro jet kit......Please help

Did the previous owner tell you that it had the big bore kit in it' or did you have it installed? If he did tell you; where is the proof? Receipts?

#16 ·
guys i ride with a friend who has a 05 zx10 with -1 on the front, and i have a +3 on the rear of my 01 zx9 and i can keep up with him in the mountains when i follow and can lose him when i lead... I dont doubt that gsxr walked you-- you can beat 30 less pounds and 30 more horsepower... but the rider plays a BIG part of the equation. the zx10 would proobly walk my zx9 on a straight line-- but then again my grandmother could pin the throttle just as well(i think)

#17 ·
Originally posted by ZX9PILOT
guys i ride with a friend who has a 05 zx10 with -1 on the front, and i have a +3 on the rear of my 01 zx9 and i can keep up with him in the mountains when i follow and can lose him when i lead... I dont doubt that gsxr walked you-- you can beat 30 less pounds and 30 more horsepower... but the rider plays a BIG part of the equation. the zx10 would proobly walk my zx9 on a straight line-- but then again my grandmother could pin the throttle just as well(i think)
TRUE. :D

#18 ·
Originally posted by 56cbr600rr

zx-9's are strong. Since when though, were they the fastest production bike. I believe in the zx9r's time frame it was either the zx-11 or cbrxx blackbird. Correct me if i'm wrong though....
DAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! The ZX-9R was faster then both the ZX-11 and the CBRXX Blackbird. Do some research...

#19 ·
Yeah, they were never the fastest bike around, but I heard that the zx9 in 98, I think it was, was the first bike to break a 10 second quarter mile? If that makes any sense?

#20 ·
research dictates that the ZZR1100 and blackbird both had 5-7mph higher top speeds... thats faster isnt it?

i think the whole 9.9 second 1/4 mile thing from a stock C1 is stupidly optimistic... maybe ricky gadson ran that time, like once... but who in the real world has ever run a 9 on a bone stock standard 9R?

besides, only sport rider have suggested that the 9R can run a 9... reading up on reviews from 1998, every other site or magazine had the R1 at a very slight advantage down the 1/4 mile, and either equaling or 1 or 2mph slower than the 9R in top speed.

everything else the reviews said made me want to buy a 9R tho.

#21 ·
Originally posted by NinetySix
research dictates that the ZZR1100 and blackbird both had 5-7mph higher top speeds... thats faster isnt it?

i think the whole 9.9 second 1/4 mile thing from a stock C1 is stupidly optimistic... maybe ricky gadson ran that time, like once... but who in the real world has ever run a 9 on a bone stock standard 9R?

besides, only sport rider have suggested that the 9R can run a 9... reading up on reviews from 1998, every other site or magazine had the R1 at a very slight advantage down the 1/4 mile, and either equaling or 1 or 2mph slower than the 9R in top speed.

Either way, if you had the zx9r or the R1 in 98-99 you were on a pretty equal bike, but the r-1 got all the accollades.

#22 ·
Yea I have stock gearing, i was thinkin about going down one tooth in the front...but i love my top end. Im just a hair from tapping 200mph on my speedo (yes i know there about 10% off) but still.....:D

2000ZX9R - As far as "proof" that I have a 998 kit...hahaha man are you serious? I wouldnt waste my time scanning a receipt to post on here for you. Plus I was talking about the cams being degreed, thats the only thing I cant verify...(hint - the lil arrow)
I will however make Midnight Madness this Friday at memphis motorsports park and post my 1/4 mile times. If you need more proof than that you can always make a lil trip down here and for the right price... hey we can make it happen.

#23 ·
Couple of things here, and i know i favor drag racing, but power is power, and obviously we love our Nines!

1. 180+hp is not hard to get with a 998 kit
2. 30 lbs of weight is not hard to get rid of on a 9
(come on ,we all ride em, get creative, you can
lose weight on these things, the factory doesnt do
the BEST things through out the bike)
3. NEVER under estimate a 9 in capable hands!!
(track missles or loaded guns!)

Enjoy your Bike!! its yours!!

Chris

#24 ·
Originally posted by NinetySix

Sorry, I did not mean speed' I meant in the 1/4 mile...

#25 ·
What exactly would I need to look into to generate 180+ hp from my 998 kit? Parts etc? I was shooting for this number but have ran out of options and really dont know where to look

#26 ·
Originally posted by 2000ZX9R

Sorry, I did not mean speed' I meant in the 1/4 mile...
im going to trust every other magazine/website review from the time that suggested the R1 was fractionally quicker over the 1/4, providing you could actually keep the front wheel down... rather than sport rider with their seriously optimistic times for almost every bike... but hey theres only one ricky gadson

although even sport rider claimed the R1 ran a higher trap speed down the 1/4 with a slightly slower ET than the 9's unlikely 9 second pass... likewise every other review ... but they all agreed on the big K's top speed being superior... thats good aero and ram air for ya ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.