Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I did a search on the forums and couldn't really find anything specific relating to my questions, but I do a appologize if this is a repeat thread. I'm sure these kinds of things are asked often.

I remember reading a thread a while back about the real benefits of a new exhaust system and it seemed a though the majority felt it was generally more for show than for straight performance enhancement.

However, I've decided to just dig a little deaper into this and ask you all what you think the benefits of having a custom exhaust installed on an 01 ZX-6R, (or any bike for that matter) would be. I don't have that much experience altering my bike performance-wise, so would it be better to have it done at a shop? I also notice at most shops they have a rather wide selection of mufflers and exhaust systems; would one of these be compatible with my bike or would I need something more specific?

I've never had my bike dynoed or anything like that so I have no clue what it's peak output is. It's all stock with the exception of a K&N Air filter.

Would a new exhaust system be worth the $$ and how much do you think it would run? I'm more interested in performance than overall appearance. I don't need the loudest thing on the streets or something with flourescent colors. I'm not very familiar with brands, so what would you recommend?

·
Banned
84 Posts
Whether or not an aftermarket exhaust is worth the money is up to you. If you feel comfortable spending $300-400 for a slip-on that adds maybe 3-4hp (with a rejet) and drops 3lbs, then go for it. The aftermarkets, especially the carbon fibers (muzzy for instance), look worlds better than stock pipes in my opinion. Installing an exhaust is probably one of the easiest modifications you can make to your bike, especially if its only a slip on. Anyone comfortable with a wrench should have no problem handing it. Rejetting the bike is a bit more difficult, but may not be absolutely necessary with just a slip-on.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I wouldn't just go to any shop and do a custom exhaust. Most of the aftermarket mufflers out for our yr bikes are already tuned and any modification to them usually gets poor results. Some muffler shops may know what they are doing but dont have the engineering "know-how" to actually get the best results unless you are planning on spending more $$$ for testing.

Depending on what you are looking for and what you are going to do with the bike should tell you what get : slip-on vs full system. If you're gonna go racing, I'd recommend a FULL SYSTEM and jetting. That was the biggest improvement for HP.

For regular Street, just get a slip-on. And no need to jet it because there wont be a huge increase.

BTW, Muzzy and Yosh is good. I went with a Full system yosh + pro factory jet kit. Good times!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for your feedback.

I'm just looking to enhance my regluar street riding, my ZX-6R doesn't particularly meet up to the "standards" of track racing so your comments are helpful. A couple of the shops around here have a wide selection of MICRON slip-on exhausts and offer a free Dyno with installation, so my hunch is that they're pretty used to doing it.

Unfortunately it looks like on my ZX-6R it's bolted on where the canester meets the exhaust pipe so I'm not sure a slip-on would work. I may however be able to find a bolt on adjustment of some sort.

Thanks for the brand suggestions as well RadPajita. I've heard of Yoshimura and Muzzy. A carbon fiber exhaust would be awesome but I'd be concerned with overheating as I'm more likely to take my Kawasaki on extended rides, which probably wouldnt' be healthy for it.

I'll do some more research with your guy's suggestions in mind.

Thanks.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have 06' zzr600, basicly the same bike. I left my stock header on and bought a GPR slip on (actually bolts on). the stock can weighed in at 14 pounds, the GPR weighed 4 pounds. While I haven't dynoed the bike it did improve the entire rev range from the bottom to the top. so for me that plus the weight lose was well worth $250.

My 01' tracker (01'6R) has a full muzzy titanium. this pipe not only shed alot of weight but did make a good power increase with a jet kit. it was pretty pricey though.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've spent some time browsing Yoshimura's inventory of bolt-on exhausts and they look pretty nice.

One question, is there any distinct different between stainless steel and titanium other than the metal finish? My assumption is that titianium might be a bit lighter? Not too sure.

·
Registered
282 Posts
sorry....slip-on/bolt-on is the same reference. Our bikes will be a bolt-on situation. In regards to the SS and Titanium, it's the finish look. I will say titanium is a lighter material. CF is nice to so when you touch it, it's not too hot. S/S is bright as hell when the sun hits it. It's preference on looks. But remember, it's just the outter sleeve and it wont make huge difference in performance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by zixx6R
Aftermarket rear shock is money better spent.
Yeah, see I was hearing things like this in the thread I'm referred to in my original post.

I don't mean to completely change the topic, but do you really feel the difference with an aftermarket shock?

EDIT: and what would your recommend? I wouldn't even know where to begin.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Originally posted by zixx6R
Aftermarket rear shock is money better spent.
+1 another great suggestion! ohlins is the best, penske is great, and elka is alright. Anything better than stock-you'll notice a difference. But a shock is only as good as the person setting it up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Depnds on what you want...but an aftermarket shock will work much better than stock, you will feel it on the street and your lap times will feel it on the track. Confidence and comfort are what come with better suspension components...which will allow you to go faster. A can on its own will give you sound and some weight savings, that's pretty much it. Whether that's worth the cost is up to you. I would address the rear suspension first then go all the way with full exhaust (header back) and ivan's jet kit all at once. You WILL feel that.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
i bolted on a devil pipe.( took 5 minutes once i figured out how to put the collar on) devilbikes.com lots less weight and seemed to get thru the rpms smoother n crisper. and sounds kick ass plus added some bling bling

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.