Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't checked my manual but at my local dealer, they said that Honda does not require a valve clearance check at 600 miles, but it's recommended for Kawasaki. Since I used the motoman break-in method, I wanna play it safe and have the valve clearance checked.
Assuming this guy really will do a valve clearance check, along with the other 600-mile checkup stuff (oil/filter change, checking the torques on the bolts, etc.), is $400 too expensive? If not, what's a reasonable price? (Location if relevant: Los Angeles, CA).
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I'm sure everyone has heard that the 600 mile valve adjustment the manual says to get is a misprint. I remember people saying that kawasaki sent them a page to put over the misprinted page in the manual. I never received that page so I contacted kawasaki about why they never sent me one. They looked me up and said because I have the revised addition of the manual. I looked at my manual closely and sure enough it does say that the first and only valve adjustment should be done at 15,000 miles. NOT at 600 miles.

Also Anyone know of any aftermarket pcv valve kit to stop that annoying tapping sound. Every time I ride the bike I always hear the tapping, well up to about 40 MPG. I think I even hear it in my sleep!
Does anyone NOT have this tap on their 2003 636?
None of my other bikes have ever had this sound, but they might not have had the valve that the 2003 does have. I feel that this valve could wear out and be a service problem in the future. All that constant opening and closing tapping and all.

Thank God for Guardian Angels... Especially This One!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I too contacted Canadian Kawasaki regarding the valve clearance check and they also confirmed not till 15,000 miles. Bike tolerances these days are so good and manufacturing processes and materials are better than ever. The last generation 6R's didn't need checks until similar mileage. To get them checked at 600 miles is unnecessary in my books. It won't HURT, but it is a misprint in the manual, and in fact isn't a recommended service until 15,000 miles.

As for the tapping, I haven't noticed any such noise from my mill, seems pretty smooth and sweet to me. Maybe I'm just harder of hearing?

"Keep yer feet on the pegs and your right hand cranked."

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Originally posted by micty

I wanna play it safe and have the valve clearance checked.
Assuming this guy really will do a valve clearance check, along with the other 600-mile checkup stuff (oil/filter change, checking the torques on the bolts, etc.), is $400 too expensive? If not, what's a reasonable price? (Location if relevant: Los Angeles, CA).
Thanks in advance.
WOW, $400 is WAAAAAAY too much. Forget about the valves, just change your oil and filter yourself. And checking the bolts and chain only takes about 5-10 mins. Save yourself about $375!

DJ I cant beleive you dont have that tapping sound too. I had it from the first time I started the bike and I know so many other people have also. On my bike it's always there but sometimes louder then others. I'm concerned again. Has anyone talked to Kawasaki about this yet?

Thank God for Guardian Angels... Especially This One!

·
Registered
327 Posts
My 2002 636 has it too, especially when hot.

Red 2002 ZX-6R 636

It's not the speed that kills, it's the sudden stop...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Mine have the tapping sound too. especially when I put gas brand citgo, marathon, or any other cheap brand gas company, it makes the tapping even worse. I just put Shell or Amoco BP and the tapping is not that loud. but I agree 110% with the sound.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.