Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my buddy is looking to sell his 2002 R6 with 3000 miles on it for around $4000. This will be my first bike but listen. If i get it i am not going to ride it this summer, i am going to save up more money over the winter. With the money, im going to take the msf and buy gear. Does that sound like a good deal on the bike? or shoudl i just keep saving until next summer and buy a bike then?

·
Registered
389 Posts
That's a lot of bike for a beginner. Any of the 'modern' 600cc sport bikes will be a handful for someone with no experience. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's a lot like having someone get their driver's license then be handed the keys to a Ferrari.

Find a used Suzuki GS500 or Kawi EX500. Buy it and use the difference to fund some gear and the MSF. In a year or so, sell the little bike for near what you paid for it, then buy a 600cc. One of the fastest guys on the track that I know (runs head to head with liter bikes in the twisties) did this. He learned about corner speed and throttle control on a bike that didn't punt his a$$ the first time he went WOT.

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Originally posted by antimatter
That's a lot of bike for a beginner. Any of the 'modern' 600cc sport bikes will be a handful for someone with no experience. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it's a lot like having someone get their driver's license then be handed the keys to a Ferrari.

Find a used Suzuki GS500 or Kawi EX500. Buy it and use the difference to fund some gear and the MSF. In a year or so, sell the little bike for near what you paid for it, then buy a 600cc. One of the fastest guys on the track that I know (runs head to head with liter bikes in the twisties) did this. He learned about corner speed and throttle control on a bike that didn't punt his a$$ the first time he went WOT.
[:+1]What he said!

·
Premium Member
3,048 Posts
trust me when i tell ya theres no way youll be able to keep a bike in your garage that long without riding it whether its legal or not.trust me on this one.dont have it in your garage if your not ready to ride.not worth getting in trouble with the cops or worse crashing.just continue to save and allow money for gear.this way youll have more money also which will give you more options as far as bikes and maybe even enough for some mods.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Seems like a pretty good deal to me. You sound responsible enough. Take the msf course and buy some gear and remember to respect the bike as it will kick your ass if you dont. Don't ride illegally learn from tecateman's experience and when your ready to ride do it legit. Most importantly though be safe and dont try to impress anybody if youre careful with the bike it will be good to you. The problem people run into buying sportbikes for first bikes is they see everyone else riding hard and they think its a piece of cake or that after a couple weeks of riding youre the greatest rider on the planet. I tell everyone thats bikes are easy to ride but its really hard to be good at it.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I'd buy it. Ride it a little around the block and stuff, just to get used to it. The R6 doesn't have too much power down low, esp if you're easy on the throttle. 4K for a modern 600 is not a bad deal. Sometime I wish i would have done the same thing but i have some stigma about buying new.And yeah, then get all the gear over the winter, by that time you should be used to puttin around and should be ready for MSF and real riding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok thanx guys, yea i know this is a kawasaki board, but w/e. i love the new zx6-r's but cant afford them. i dunno, i know im responsible enough as hard as that is to believe. i guive shit to all my friends all the time who ride without gear and who think they r too good for the msf course, but w/e. i just think this deal is to good to pass up so i think ill go for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.