Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All ZX-6Rs behave unpredictably on choke or fast idle. Unlike other bikes, yours will not idle at constant revs with the lever pulled back.

After starting the engine, gradually push the lever forward until the bike idles on its own. Your bike is fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When starting my '02 ZX-6R with a cold engine using the choke, it's revving at different RPMs, and I haven't been able to identify any conditions or reasons. Here's what's happening:

(1) revs about 2800 RPM and stays there until the temp gauge starts reading, then I ease off the choke - as I ease off the choke the RPMs increase initially then slow down to idle - there is a consistent point in the choke lever position that produces a temporary RPM increase a I move the lever past it

(2) revs about 2800 RPM until just before the temp gauge starts reading then races up 4100 RPM, at which point I ease off the choke

(3) revs up to about 4100 RPM within a few seconds of starting, I ease off the choke a little to bring it back to about 2800 RPM where it stays until the temp gauge starts reading, then I ease off the rest of the way

The bike sounds like it wants to idle at 2800 RPM on choke, and about half the time it does not run up to 4100 RPM, so it seems like the high revs are not normal.

I've checked the choke cable for snags and burrs - nothing. It did not do it at the shop (of course...), so they have no suggestions.

Does anyone else experience this? What RPM are you running at while on choke? I ease off the choke when the temp gauge starts reading (it starts at 104, and I ease off by 106-109 or so) - how long do y'all keep it choked before easing off? I'm in the city, so I need it to be warmed up before I take off, otherwise I sit at a stop light 30 yards away before the engine is warm enough to be happy.

Thanks.

Dave H
SF :: CA :: USA

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info. Just knowing that they're unpredictable makes me feel better, though I'm still trying to figure out why it happens some times and not others...

Just a secondary, question: how long do y'all leave it idle on choke before easing off? I wait until the temp gauge starts to read - is that enough? too long? to brief?

Thanks again.

Dave H
SF :: CA :: USA

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just after starting the engine, gradually push the choke lever forward. The bike will be able to idle without choke before the minute mark. The lever can be completely forward then.

If you must ride the bike before it can idle without choke, move the lever completely forward after you start moving.

·
Registered
52 Posts
This maybe a stupid question......but you'll come to expect them of me LOL.......but do different weather conditions other than temperature affect the idling?????? such as humidity????

My '02 636 can be a bitch to start sometimes from cold but from what ive seen it is fairly normal.......well you live and learn :eek:) If there are any recommended ways to start from cold then id love to hear.

Take it easy and ride safe :D

Dave!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.