Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just FYI this isn't my first post, I just forgot my info and hat to re-register...

I rhode my bike about five days ago in perfect working order but I went today to ride it and it starts and runs fine but as soon as I give it throttle it dies. I let it warm up to 150 degrees and the same thing happens again. Thinking it was low on gas I gave it a gallon, still the same thing.

I took it apart and played with the coils on the plugs and sure enough one wasn't affecting the idle. So thinking it was a plug I replaced it, still the same thing. I noticed that when I pulled the coil out that I was receiving a low voltage shock on the one that's not firing but didn't experience the same on any of the others I pulled out. I'm assuming I have a bad coil. Does this sound about right? I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something else that it could be.

Last time a cylinder wasn't firing it would just run like shit, not die. Thats why I'm a little confused. Everyone's help is appreciated!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Have you recently replaced your oil? I know of friends that have overfilled the oil, which ended up fouling the plugs once oil pressure kicked up with the throttle. Otherwise, it sounds more like a fuel problem then an ignition problem to me. You can always check to make sure you have a spark to each cylinder by holding the plug about 1/8" away from the engine block and looking for the spark. If your getting a spark to all four cylinders, I would trouble shoot my fuel system first.

Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, its been a couple months since I changed the oil. I'm not getting a spark on all four, one isn't but like I said above, I wouldn't think one cylinder being out would make it die.

·
Registered
65 Posts
From my experience, ignition problems seem to be more consistent the "just when the throttle is applied, if anything I would think increased RPMs would disguise the effects of a missing cylinder. That is why I would start with the fuel system. The '02 has carbs, doesn't it? If it does, I would start by cleaning the carbs. The combination of a cylinder getting bad fuel and another not getting a spark would definitely cause the bike to die. Also if the butterflies are getting stuck, the engine is essentially choking itself out when you introduce the extra fuel with the throttle.

The more I think about it, the more I believe it is a fuel problem. The cylinder not getting a spark is definitely a problem, but I don't think it is your primary cause of the engine dying.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
yeah i would definately start with the fuel system. if you want a coil that i know works, let me know i have an extra set. maybe you can square that problem out as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Check the ram air ducts that they are in place and the vacuum lines are on. You removed the air box to change the plugs, plus the tank, how about the fuel filter?

I would start with the vacuum lines.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
idk about on a carb bike but i had this problem on my 06....throttle position sensor

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
good call... that could be it too. I am pretty sure there is a TPS on the side of the carbs you may not have plugged back in... and maybe your coil is still bad too lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay well I'm going to pull the carbs off today and clean them. Atleast then when I put them back on and it runs a little better then I know I elimated one problem. Then I'll just have to get that other cylinder firing, which shouldnt be too hard.

By the way, this problem occured prior to me taking it apart. So I know its not due to user error.

I'm gonna check the fuel filter, thats definately something I havent tried yet. It wouldn't hurt to go ahead and replace it anyway.

PM'd on the coil.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Zombie thread. But I'm having a similar problem. and was hoping B-dubbzx6r sees this and lets us know what the fix is.

My 01 was starting to bog a year ago, so I took the carbs apart cleaned everything and installed a jet kit, it helped a little. I put it up for the winter after not riding much for various reasons and pulled it out a week ago only to find out it wouldn't accept any throttle input without stalling, idles fine.
I cleaned the tank and filter, changed the fuel pump "relay", changed the plugs. Non of those simple things made a bit of difference.

The next thing I can check is the ignition. Will check the coils and the TPS.

Update: the coils are firing. Bike runs the same with the TPS plugged in or not. The three contacts on the TPS all show open on resistance. ???

the carb slides all move up and down rather easily with sounds of air moving in the diaphragms.

After letting the bike idle up to 170F (about 5 minutes) I tried to take it for a spin around the block. as soon as I increased the throttle it died.

·
Premium Member
2,584 Posts
Does it rev up with choke applied, or take throttle when the choke is on too......this separates if the bike is flooding or lean from pluggage in the carb passages.

·
Registered
1 Posts
[mine is having similar problems but does rev with the choke on QUOTE="badassjake, post: 4437338, member: 211"]
Does it rev up with choke applied, or take throttle when the choke is on too......this separates if the bike is flooding or lean from pluggage in the carb passages.
[/QUOTE]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts