Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out riding yesterday with a few friends and my bike after about 10 min. of riding randomly just shut-off while i was doing 70mph on the highway, followed 10 min. later by doing it again and so on for a total of about 10 times the whole [email protected] first we thought it was the carbs be clogged, my friend mentioned something about the floats getting stuck as we had to let the bike sit for a few minuted before it would start again.

I later came to realized that as soon as it stalled out all i had to do was turn the key off and on and it would start again no problem, which leads me to believe it has to be an electrical problem....idk wats up or whats going on. the only thing that i can think is the ignition keyswitch is bad???

can anyone help me out?

also my keyswitch is moved to the side of my bike, just above the drive sproket cover. I know its hotter down there so maybe someting inside the switch went bad, im not sure if it is hot enough to melt anything inside though...

·
Registered
939 Posts
i had the exact same problem. i went thru everything carbs, fuses, fuel lines. ext...
turned out i had a loose connector on the battery. it was wiggling around while riding and just a small instance of no connection would turn the bike off.
so tighten up that battery!

hope that helps

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did alot of checking yesterday... its not the kickstand switch...its also not the headlight turnsignals front brake switch, rear brake switch, clutch saftey switch, coils & plugs. I checked the cdi ignitor box yesterday and it has the proper voltage before and after the shut down. I also gave my cdi box to a buddy of mine with a zzr600 and he went for a 20 mile ride and had no shut downs @ all. mine shut down yesterday 3 times in the first 5 minutes....

·
Registered
349 Posts
Definitely sounds like your ignition switch or the ECU. If you can fix it with a turn off then on of the ignition then its an electrical item resetting itself. I've heard of toasted ECU's doing things like this. When it shuts off does it bog at all or just all of a sudden even mid throttle shut off?

Check your battery terminal connections and switch your ECU with someone else's. If both of those are in working condition I would replace and relocate your ignition switch.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
when the bike shuts off it doesnt matter what im doing...mid throttle stopping jst sitting @ a light...etc., and when it does it just kills instantly. everything else stays on thought, so just the motor kills. I still have all ignition functions and headlights works etc.

·
Registered
162 Posts
sounds like a partially clogged fuel filter. you should be able to take the filter off and blow through it to get an idea quickly if it is the problem.
The reason I think it is this is because it sounds like the carbs are being run dry though they are being fed some fuel. Then when you turn the key off and back on you are giving the fuel enough time to catch up.
I have seen this same thing on another bike. Hopefully this helps some.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
talked to a dude tonight @ our local bike "hangout" aka Sheetz gas station...haha. He has his own shop and is a bike genius especially wit kawasaki's. I told him what was up and he immedietly said the pick-up coil, I guess when they get hot they will shut down for no reason. So i will check that tom. and see whats up

·
Registered
349 Posts
Ok if your power stays on and just the engine kills that rules out the ignition switch and probably the ecu too. Pick up coil sounds like a good option or still the fuel filter, though if you can quickly turn the bike off then on and start her up and she doesnt stall then I would say more likely a fuel pump issue than filter.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
newest update....i wana rip my hair out!!!!!!!!!! haha

so i took the pick-up coil outa my buddies bike and switched it with mine and it still stalled... so thats out

then we switched fuel pumps...it ran better i have to say, it stalled right after start up so it might be a fluke but i let it idle for like 5-10 minutes afterwards and no shut-down. it was getting late so we called it a night, ill be back to my garage tonight and guna take it for a ride with the fuel pump in and see how it goes.

also we noticed that there seems to be stress on the electrical charging system. my headlight and inst. cluster lights dim when front brake rear brake, turnsignals...etc. are on. so maybe a stator issue as well or a comb. of the stator and fuel pump?

we tested my battery with a voltmeter. 12.88v without the bike on...around 14v with it on but it takes awhile for it to climb there, while on my buddies bike it was @ 14v a few seconds after startup. also when i use my front brake my volts drop and take a long time to climb back up... as my friends instantly regains voltage...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sounds like maybe the stator problem is causing the bike's voltage to drop low enough that when the pump is working hard it dips too low and the pump slows or stops causing the stall.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
yep really does sound like a stater problem then. be carefull installing the new one, don't nik it!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well last night we swapped stators from my buddies bike and that wasnt it....the last thing we tried was the rectifier....and we r 99% sure thats the prob. took it out for a 10 mile ride and no shut offs. switched it back with my rectifier and my shut off 6 times in the first 5 minutes...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sounds like you got it. Having a buddy with the same bike sure comes in handy eh.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts