Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke down on the highway at 3am last night and obviously it wont start. When it died the bike started making a noise as if it was sufficating and it gradually died. For about 2 minutes giving it more gas kept it going up till the point where it didnt help no more. I did ride through a strong rain so maybe something got messed up. After that rain i rode for about a day until this happened. Its not the battery for sure and it makes the normal cranking sound when i try to start it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
297 Posts
+1 for the gas... Oh ya and I like you avatar...Top Gear kicks ass! :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
Check your fuel pump, ground wire, air box/filter, the hoses are connected in your ram air tubes, screen in fuel petcock, give the carbs a few taps with a mallet in case a slide is stuck...

Its either fuel, spark, or air.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
What was the air temperature when you were riding? 4 to 7 degrees in damp weather is ideal for carb icing, the venturi effect will drop the air temperature as it enters the engine and the damp molecules in the air solidify and create ice in the carbs which become larger and eventually starve the engine of air ( sufficating and it gradually died you said)
The euro models have a filter situated on the left side of the engine which blocks with debris preventing the cooling system from heating the carbs. Clean your filter out its about the size of a cigar.
After starting did the exhaust smoke a bit and could you smell rich mixture?
Have you had no problems since?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
PS to sort it fit new plugs, as the ones you have in it at the moment will be wet (fuel)
Take one out it should be a matt black colour and stink of fuel. Replace them or take a butane burner to the electrode to dry them out. Hopefully that should sort them out.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
happy to say she's running again. There must have been no gas in the main tank and when i switched over to the reserve it wouldnt fire either...Maybe i flooded the motor or overheated the starter when i was trying to fire her up. Wasted $200 on a tow :(

I also suspect some bad gas because she isnt running like when i bought here so she's going in for full service.

i dont get it...when i ran out of gas before i switched to the reserve and she started right up...bike sat all night and then it started.

bring on the squid comments

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Maybe last time you used reserve and fueled you didnt spin the tap back? so you run out of fuel completely , turned the tap and changed back to on, but of course no fuel in the tank .
Good spot by ffej, many a true word spoke in jest as they say!

·
Registered
297 Posts
On one of my older bikes that had a reserve setting, if I didn't use it every once in a while, the bike didn't like to run off of the setting. I usually tried to keep the tank full but the one time it ran too low for the primary and I switched it to the reserve, it just kept dieing. I was too cheap for a tow so I just kept trying to start it (giving it breaks between cranks) and it eventually worked. I don't know if there was just crap stuck in the bottom of the tank or if it was something else. Flote bowls ran dry maybe... Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
474 Posts
also keep in mind your bike only has ONE gas tank. the "On" and "Reserve" setting are simply two different holes in the tank taking gas at different heights. Think of it as 2 straws going into your tank, and one is longer than the other. When fuel goes below the higher straw (On position) and you switch to Reserve, you are now taking fuel from a lower spot and will drain the tank dry.

Always run in the ON position to give yourself that margin of error.

If you switch to reserve be sure to fill up as soon as possible before you forget, and at EVERY fill up check to make sure you are in the on position, even if you didnt switch.. Its simply a good habbit to get into, costs you nothing, and may save your ass from an expensive tow or a long walk...

Switch to reserve at the first sign you are running out of gas, the sputtering is very noticable. If you dont you may starve the engine of fuel and it might have a hard time starting back up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.