Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone fitted these tyres onto a recent ER6F (mines 2013 model) I don't like the Dunlops it came with I've recently been on Bridgestones on my bikes & fancy changing the Dunlops

·
Registered
48 Posts
Interested in this too.

My Q2s are pretty much done and need changing.
I'm looking at PR3 and B023 for my Er6n.

I ride 70% highway and 30% twisties.
Live in the bay area, CA.

Oh an my front tire (Q2) still has a good amount of tread left. Is it bad to mix and match tires? I was thinking of leaving on the front and just changing the rear. Would that cause any problems in handling?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interested in this too.

Oh an my front tire (Q2) still has a good amount of tread left. Is it bad to mix and match tires? I was thinking of leaving on the front and just changing the rear. Would that cause any problems in handling?
I dont think mixing & matching is recommended by manufacturers they dont seem to mind mixing if same brand but not between brands why not e mail the manufacturer you are using & ask the question.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Interested in this too.

Mixing and matching isn't usually a good idea, because of the difference in tire profiles/shapes, which can cause handling issues. If you want to just replace the rear, then why not get another Q2? The Q2's are awesome tires, and the price is usually great on them!

If you're getting both front and rear, I would go with the Q3's.

·
Registered
351 Posts
glad im not the only 1 who hates those dunlops! they are 'kin scarey on smooth roads although i expect they will rack up a good mileage. the 2011 bridgestones were fine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
glad im not the only 1 who hates those dunlops! they are 'kin scarey on smooth roads although i expect they will rack up a good mileage. the 2011 bridgestones were fine.
+1 I dont like them in the wet but understand others liking them as we all have our own preferences but I'm going the 023 route :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
+1 I dont like them in the wet but understand others liking them as we all have our own preferences but I'm going the 023 route :)
id like to take a set of 023's with me next trip but ive already got half the bike, a set of zx10 forks and a maxton shock in my bags.......i doubt ill get any more on the scales at heathrow without being shafted on excess weight.....looks like its shenkos for me next time:D

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Lol, I still remember the touring Dunlops my Er6n came with, so hard that I got wheel spin in fourth gear :bonk:

I think, nevertheless, that softer-supersport Dunlop compounds are great for our bike (I currently ride on Sportsmarts) because they offer more progressive leaning.

You will experience great improvement anyway and I would like to hear your impressions!

·
Registered
195 Posts
My stock 2009 came with 21's so I think you will be just fine with 23's. I thought mine were just fine. The fronts started wearing a little funny like they were underinflated even though they were kept at the recommended pressures. I don't think that is common though. I did switch to Q2/Q3's at 8K miles because I do track days. There would be no reason to get Q's for everyday riding unless you want to purchase new tires more often. The front Q2's still look new at 4K but the rears were toast. Track and street riding will do that to them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My stock 2009 came with 21's so I think you will be just fine with 23's. I thought mine were just fine. The fronts started wearing a little funny like they were underinflated even though they were kept at the recommended pressures. I don't think that is common though. I did switch to Q2/Q3's at 8K miles because I do track days. There would be no reason to get Q's for everyday riding unless you want to purchase new tires more often. The front Q2's still look new at 4K but the rears were toast. Track and street riding will do that to them.
Thats weird, my OEM 21's on the front of my 09 have a funky wear in it as well. i check the press frequently and still has an odd feathering wear pattern after only 6k and when measured im at 1/32 tread depth in spots.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine also came with BT21s, I found they wore quickly, and the front was quite square when i changed it. I replaced them with 23s. Again , the front wore square quite quickly ~6k miles. I couldn't fault the grip or handling of either set though. I'm currently running a set of Metzler Roadtec Z6. They totally changed the feel of the bike which took a bit of getting used to but again, can't fault the way they hold the road. I guess time will tell if they wear any better.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I guess it is more common than I thought. My front Q is wearing perfectly at 4K and I see no reason why it wouldn't continue. Unfortunately, I can't suggest them for everyday riding.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1st ride this morning on new 023's in pouring rain they performed brilliant even though I was obviously taking it gently on new unscrubbed in tyres :) felt so much more planted than the Dunlops I'm a very happy man, the only prob I had is my ABS light staying on :-( anyone else had this after changing tyres/removing wheels

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
1st ride this morning on new 023's in pouring rain they performed brilliant even though I was obviously taking it gently on new unscrubbed in tyres :) felt so much more planted than the Dunlops I'm a very happy man, the only prob I had is my ABS light staying on :-( anyone else had this after changing tyres/removing wheels
That's great man, I hope that you made the right choice.

Please post some info about leaning / pick up rate when you get used to them!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
2nd wet ride this morning & although the tyres only have around 30 miles usage so much more confident in the wet :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tyres now nicely bedded in got to say in my opinion they have transformed my little ER6 into a much better ride well recommended :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts