Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys I used the search button like crazy trying to find out some information but I havent been able to. Question is can I run a 03/04 tank on my 02 without any issues? Im running the subframe and it would be easier to bolt up the gas tank. Maybe someday I'll modify it to run FI.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
No, it has an internal fuel pump and has WAY too much pressure for carbs. It does fit pretty well, just the fact that the fuelpump is internal is what will cause problems. I have one on my bike, but i also have FI...

Ben

·
Registered
111 Posts
You could remove the pump/filter/regulator assembly from the base plate that bolts to the underside of the tank. Then connect the hose from the stock fuel pump to the outlet on the plate on the bottom of the new tank. Then you will have to make a bracket to mount the rear of the tank since it mounts completely different.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
If you can get around the pump isse it should work.. How did you convert yours to fi ?
I did the megasquirt swap almost 2 years ago now, works great once it's tuned in...

Missingparts is right though I guess you could remove the pump from the plate, but honestly it seems like a waste of money and time, most likely easier to make the stock tank fit the subframe.
Ben

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
I have the 03/04 tail and bolted down my stock tank just fine. I cut the 03/04 rear tank mount off of the subframe, drilled two holes, and bolted down my tank. I drilled the holes just slightly smaller than the bolts, so the steel bolts essentially tapped the aluminum subframe. It's been holding fine for about 4000 miles so far...something like that, which includes a track day. No issues.

You gotta take the rubber grommits off of the rear tank bracket (the ones that sit on the battery), and then it sits nice and flush.

Line up the tank, drill your holes, insert your tank bolts. Done! I would suggest some Loc-tite though. One of my bolts backed out a little after a few thousand miles, but it bolted down just fine. Just don't overtighten the bolts and strip your subframe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts