Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...so I've had a root round with the search button and found that this is do-able. As I understand it, the '05/6 cylinder head will bolt straight onto our '03/4 model 636 engine. Let's say I've found a likely looking cylinder head on eBay, and that I'm tempted to give this a go for the tiny bit extra ooomph the later spec cams and valves etc will give.

Do I need the '05 cam rocker cover, or will the one from my '03 fit? Clearly the engine will need setting up with a power commander afterwards, what am I likely to see in terms of hp once this is all done? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Cheers, oh-knowledgeable ones....

·
Registered
494 Posts
I was also thinking of this, I'm curious to see what it will produce after on a dyno!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm guessing it would be in the same ball park as an 05/06 engine would produce, there or thereabouts? Cheaper than a full system, and less obvious to pretty much everyone!

·
Registered
264 Posts
I was gonna do this. I found a head that was immaculate, shimmed, new valves lapped, a very good price,....Parcel Farce kin lost it.
The 03 bits will go straight on, but, you will need the 05-06 cam position sensor and you will need to splice/bodge it to the 03 connector.
Power should be on par with 05-06. Later model has ports between cylinders and deeper sump to help with windage losses ( 1 or 2 hp maybe ) + other little engine tweeks to up figures.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was gonna do this. I found a head that was immaculate, shimmed, new valves lapped, a very good price,....Parcel Farce kin lost it.
The 03 bits will go straight on, but, you will need the 05-06 cam position sensor and you will need to splice/bodge it to the 03 connector.
Power should be on par with 05-06. Later model has ports between cylinders and deeper sump to help with windage losses ( 1 or 2 hp maybe ) + other little engine tweeks to up figures.
Ok, so all I need extra, once I've got the cylinder head and cams, is the 05/06 cam position sensor, and to make it communicate with the 03 connector. I can re use my cam rocker cover, saving me about £40! I figured, if the head would fit, it would be just as much hassle as changing just the cams for the 05/06 ones, but you get the benefits of the better valves etc as well. Sounds like a goer to me :rolleyes:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would this work on the zx6rr(600) also? This thing could use midrange big time.
I wish I had an answer for you on this one mate, I'm sure there's someone on here who knows about bolt patterns, oil and waterways, cylinder bores etc who could say for sure if it would/wouldn't line up....my guess, and it IS just a guess, would be that the only potential fly in the ointment would be the slightly bigger bore cylinders.....I can't see Kawasaki making completely different engine blocks for the two bikes, rather use the same one for both and slightly bore out the 636 blocks? If the '03 636 block bolts straight to the '05/06 cylinder head, it stands a very good chance yours will too?

As I say, I am no mechananic, so please don't take my wild theory as fact! Hopefully someone on here can give you some cast iron information....

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm gonna do the reverse, rr head on a 636, so it should be ok. I think peeps on here have done most combo's, look them up pm them.
I want confirmation that the kit gaskets, or rr gaskets, fit on the 636. Speifically, a 636 with an rr head. Head and base gaskets, that is.
Thanks to anyone in advance who knows and chimes in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts