Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R 636
34,000 mi Fuel INJECTED
Hindle Full Race Exhaust, BMC Air Filter, Dynojet PCIII (properly tuned).

Bike sat for a year without being run so I:
Emptied out the gas and cleaned tank, Rebuilt the injectors, cleaned the fuel pump, replaced spark plugs, cleaned A/F, cleaned the fuel rail measured fuel pressure at 50psi.

Bike fires up no problem and runs smooth up to 5000rpm. After that it has no power, surges and bucks around pretty violently. Only at 5000 rpm. Doesn't matter the gear I simply can get pass 5k.
In neutral this doesn't happen but the bike does backfire a bit. This problem appears to only occur under a load.

Need some help here. I saw there was already a forum about this issue in 2010 but no solution ever arose. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
spark plugs were the culprit on my 06 zx6r...it bogged ~5k rpms and ~8k RPMs.
changed all four plugs= issue resolved.

also running a full titanium Hindle pipe, K&N filter, and PCIII w/ appropriate map

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses Yall this is driving me crazy.
Ill check this stuff when I get home. I'm trying to get out of the habit of throwing parts at these things thus the reason I havent replaced the pump yet cause that was my first guess. Ill check these things like I said and Ill het back to Yall.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright so checked the spark plugs. They are fine.
Coils had solid continuity.
Ran a line up to the handlebars connected to a gauge. Start the bike up and I'm sitting at like 25psi at idle. Get on to see if that's all it need for idle. Start rolling and the pressure doesn't move with throttle. So think I narrowed it down to the Fuel Pump. Its on its way and ill update Yall when everything gets replaced.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fuel pump

Fuel Pump, Fuel Pump, it was the fuel pump.

Replaced it with a 1995 Honda Civic 1.5l non vtec fuel pump. changed a couple connections and it works like a CHARM.

Will Post walkthrough in a new Thread.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Figured mine out today. had the same issue you described but mine was the cam position sensor.
of coarse i didn't find this out until after i changed the fuel pump, ecu, the ignition sub-harness, throttle bodies and the entire main harness in trying to track this down lol.
so for future reference if you have it bog at some rpm (mine was 9k then 7k after about a week) and it throws code 51 and 54 (stick coil 1&4 misfire or short) then chances are its cam sensor.

·
Registered
245 Posts

Replaced it with a 1995 Honda Civic 1.5l non vtec fuel pump. changed a couple connections and it works like a CHARM.

Your welcome for already creating the walkthrough.... use it all you want.. dont attempt to take credit for someone elses work.... just a tip

·
Registered
3 Posts

Hey Wharton, sorry to bring your post back to life. I am also diagnosing the same issue. I do have 1 question. Before finding that the culprit was your fuel pump, was the fuel pump completely did or was it still priming on the ON position? Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts