Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

03 636 Eng. Cutting off at fwy speeds in 6th gear

1K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  t-type 
#1 ·
A while back I'm cruising at freeway speeds at about 60-65mph and the engine cuts off while. The road itself was pretty harsh so I'm thinking my kick stand switch might have came down a split moment and killed the engine. I'm oh shit, no biggie..pull to the side. So I come to a full stop...push on the starter it cranks right up and i ride off normally. Second time, driving on the freeway again, i hit a bump and the engine dies out again. I'm like..wtf? pull to the side, clutching it in and trying to see if it will kick start..no luck. I come to a stop, crank on the starter..it starts right up and I'm going home. So again I'm thinking it's my kick stand switch. Now tonight, same shit happend again. I'm already fed up! I'm going to call up the dealer to see wtf is going on with the bike. 3 times within two months. I've purchased this bike in aug, and it's giving my problems. The only mod I have is the PCIIIusb. Could that be a likely problem? Has anyone else experienced this problem?

#4 ·
Sounds like a bad connection that shorts out when you hit a bump. If its not the PC, , then there's a loose connection on the bike somewhere.

BC.

#5 ·
OK, I've disconnected the PCIII. oddly, the bike fired up right away. I recalled instantly, with the PCIII it would hesitate a little on start. The PCIII could likely be the culprit. I havent taken it our for a ride yet. I will soon after I'm done with some personal crap like taking my girlfriend shopping and stuff. Then I'll head down to the dealership the long way to see if it's going to kill itself again. Then I can rule that it's a bad connection somewhere. I'm pretty sure that the dealership will cover warranty on the bike with the PCIII removed. Would it void any warranty if I should have left it? Any more ideas would help as well. TIA

#8 ·
did you have anything underneath the cowl with the power commander?(i.e. wallet, keys, tools, tire gauge, etc.) riding on bumpy roads would cause these items to reset the unit by "bouncing" on the programming buttons. make sure you check that your pciii didn't dump the map that was loaded to it by defaulting itself to factory settings. if you still have problems, i would suspect that the unit is just bad.

#9 ·
Hmm..I never thought about that. would having an object simply hit any one of the programming buttons shut down the bike? kinda too late now because I've removed it. I did have my disc lock in the seat cowl so that might've resulted it with that stated. I'll reload the PC with the stock generic map and see what happens and keep y'all posted. The bike, however in relation to the link, did run better without the PC. Oh well, the saga continues..

#11 ·
Its funny cause i've had this happen to me also, but one day i caught myself riding with one hand and i rest the left hand on top of my right arm. the road was a little bumpy and i noticed my hand knocking close to the ignition switch. Its happen to me twice also, i noticed what i was doing the second time when i stopped and noticed the switch was off. Do you ride with one hand alot??

#12 ·
nah, I'm pretty sure I havent switched the engine cuttoff. I've even played with the cuttoff switch coming to a rolling stop to see if that has done any good while trying to see if I could get a kick start going. Only when coming to a full stop it was able to start with the push button.

#14 ·
I have also had that problem with the PCIIIusb and mentioned that in the link for previous posts on that topic. I sent it to Power Commander, and about a week and a half I got one back with no explanation, but it was a different unit. I had also noticed that PC had a map out after that for the 6RR with an Akrapovic exhaust, which is what I have. Since then I have had no problems and the bike runs like a rapped ape. So really in the end I don't know if it was the map or the PCIIIusb itself, but if I were you I would call PC and send it back to them and if they try blowing smoke up your ass saying they have never heard of this get on their case big time.

#16 ·
I've got my bike back from the dealership. No problems were to be found. They've taken it just about everywhere on the road and on the freeway I was on where I had my 1st stall. So by now I'm ruling the PCIII. I havent heard from DynoJet yet. I've also reinstalled the PC just to see if it would shut down if the buttons were held down or pushed. It didnt shut down at all. IF it werent the PCIII at all...what would be likely the problem. Fuel Pump? ECM? Faulty Engine Cutoff? In all times I've stalled, the key was on the "on" position as well. That could rule out the ECM. I usually leave the Engine Cut off on the "on" position. I hear the Pump prime as I turn the key to the "on" position. I'll prolly ask the Dealership what things can event to a stall tomorrow or something. But any info from you guys would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.