Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the 03 636 is DA MAN or should I say DA BIKE!
No, It doesn't need a steering damper. Just dont go 120MPH on a crappy road like I did. Ive riden many bikes in my time and All of them would give you a tank slapper from some things. But the 03 doesn't create any more head shake than any other bike in its class. We just make a big deal out of something normall because we all feel our 03's are perfect in every way. The steering is firm and planted. The transmition problem you heard about is just a defect in his bike. Every car or bike ever made has had a few of them have something wrong with them, Just a reality in any product you buy. But the tranies are excellent quality on this bike.

Thank God for Guardian Angels... Especially This One!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I need some help here guys and gals. I'm really interested in the new 636 but some things bother me. Does it definetly need a damper? What about the transmision problems I keep reading about. I need opinions to help make a good choice. I would be trading in a bike I just purchased last year(bored already). Yeah I know I'll lose my butt that's why I need the input. And no my current ride isn't my first,second or third bike.(just the only brand new one I ever bought) Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have had mine for about 3mos...riden street and track on it...I havn't had any head shakes..but I am at 230 lbs so that may be why...Transmission problems ???...some times when I am at a light and in netural it will not drop into gear...I found if you blip the trottle it droppes in...I hit a few false neturals on the track (to hot into the corner)..but I think it was my fault...I would say get the bike....as I said in another post the tech. (racer also) that rode my bike say he now understands why this bike is eating 750's

·
Registered
76 Posts
I say get that bike. Don't let what other people have to say(including myself) influence you in a negative way. I am one of the guys with the proposed tranny problem and I don't regret my decision to purchase a 636 at all. I absolutely love my bike. God fobid something happens to mine, then I will just be forced in buying another just like it. (Oh the agony!)
As for the steering damper. I'm 6'2" 240 pounds. I have not made any adjustments to my suspension, because it feels almost perfect to me. I've had no incidents but I will invest in a steering damper, just like I am going to invest in a leather riding suit;). You will enjoy the hell out of that bike.
In conclusion: GET THAT DAMN BIKE AND RIDE THE WHEELS OFF OF IT!!!!!!!!

Dont quote me boi cause I aint said shit!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks everyone for the input! I think my mind is pretty made up. I have rode the new R6 and its nice it just doesn't do anything for me. The CBR-RR to track oriented in the way its power delivery is. Next years Gixxer? Should be excellent in everyway but Suzuki are just so cheaply made that I cant see wasting money on a bike that will fall apart in a few months. I'll let you know when I've got my NINJA!!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
03636R,

Don't worry about the headshakes on the 636. I ride my 636 at high speeds and on bumpy roads and I have never even been close to feeling headshake. I was worried about it for a while but I think it would have happened to me by now if it was a problem with the bike. I may still buy a steering dampener just in case. By the way I am 5'7 170lbs if it makes a difference.

luv2surf
2003 636

·
Registered
115 Posts
I was thinking that rider weight may have something to do with headshakes?

One of the new bike mags say that when they loosened the steering head nut, headshakes became a problem. Could it be that the bikes experiencing headshakes have loose steering head bolts? Or are not tightened to factory specs?

luv2surf
2003 636

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've had no problems with tank slappers or tranny problems on my bike, and I've had it up to 140ish on a relatively smooth road. The bike simply kills all other 600-class. I've been riding for about 25 years, and this bike is simply better than almost anything out there for both street and track. Buy it--you won't regret it!

Woody

·
Registered
128 Posts
03636R:
I've only experienced the headshake when pulling hard above 10,000 on a rough road. Basically, at this rpm, the front wheel is just skipping the pavement on a smooth road. Throw a few stutter bumps into the mix and the headshake appears. Not a tankslapper, but you know the front end has zero weight on, it so it's doing some funny things. If you've ever gone done in a tankslapper, the headshake can scare you, but really, nothing is happening. A damper would calm the nerves. Transmission is notchy at slower speeds. Maybe with 5000 miles on it, it'll be better. High rpm shifts are slick. Usually a sign of a strong transmission. Kawi's tend to have these. As far as Suzuki quality goes: I think all the Japanese manufacturers make a damn good product. Suzuki is one. Many riders however, are not so good, and the machinery gets blamed. (Nobody on this site of course.)
Mark

·
Registered
23 Posts
most headshake problems stem from holding to the clip ons too tight

a couple hundred dollar investment is cheap insurance VS tossin your baby down the road because of tank slapper

they are not fun!

the tranny is not in the same league as a Honda Rc or double R it requires positive shifts thats all

after several trackdays the tranny is the only point I see improvement in
but not near as bad as some Suzukis Ive ridden

Ditch the stock pipe before you roll it off the showroom floor IT WILL LIFT THE REAR TIRE OFF THE GROUND!!!!

thats just what I heard though ..........

RC

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm the guy with the blown tranny and as someone said it's obviously my bad luck I got the one assembled just before or after lunch or quiten time. Soemone didn't tighten something enough and it let go. Kawi is making good on the matter.

I had head shakes under hard acceleration on twisties and straights alike, but I weigh 150 soakin wet. I'll invest in a Scott's when the bike gets back

As for weather i'm pleased about buying the bike? Even after the trouble I have a K and N and a PC-IIIusb, and fender elim kit enroute.

The bikes not as stable as my Mille R, but it is just as fun in it's own way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.