Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else had this problem? Just picked the bike up today from the dealer, they said it was fixed, bike overheated on the way home from work. They replaced the temp switch for the 2nd time this year, and they also replaced the thermostat and coolant. Looks like I'm done riding for this season, cuz it took the dealer two weeks last time they had it, so I'm guessing they'll need even longer to figure out the real problem.

·
Registered
277 Posts
what temp is it hitting? light comes on i asssume? coolant making its own bubbles? most of these techs are idiots so ya might be better off muying a service manual and figuring it out yourself.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
is there a stone guard on the bike or anything..?
I installed a stone guard on my bike a little while ago, and it's been getting hotter than usual..

·
Registered
285 Posts
Originally posted by Pyro
Anybody else had this problem? Just picked the bike up today from the dealer, they said it was fixed, bike overheated on the way home from work. They replaced the temp switch for the 2nd time this year, and they also replaced the thermostat and coolant. Looks like I'm done riding for this season, cuz it took the dealer two weeks last time they had it, so I'm guessing they'll need even longer to figure out the real problem.
Is the bike actually overheating or is it an indication on the display that reads too hot.
Is it boiling antifreeze over into the overflow bottle? Does the fan run alot or just after you have sat still for a few minutes?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I didn't look in the overflow bottle, but I'll do that next time I run it. The temp goes up and up if I get in stop and go traffic, and around 237 it starts flashing. 247 is the highest number I've seen, after that it reads "HI". The fan only comes on once or twice, it cools it down a bit, then it stops coming on. When I got home yesterday, temp read "HI", and the fan wasn't running.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just noticed mine started doin the same thing, when i stoped at the light, the temp,went up to 220, so i pulled over and i noticed that the radiator was making a noise like" boilling water"; after 2 min. stoped.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Well, I didn't look in the overflow bottle, but I'll do that next time I run it. The temp goes up and up if I get in stop and go traffic, and around 237 it starts flashing. 247 is the highest number I've seen, after that it reads "HI". The fan only comes on once or twice, it cools it down a bit, then it stops coming on. When I got home yesterday, temp read "HI", and the fan wasn't running.
What temp does your bike run at while cruising a steady 65-70mph on the highway?

If your bike was truly overheating, it would more than likely be pushing fluid overboard, into the overflow can or onto the ground if the bottle fills.
That temp of 247 is very high & bordering on the range that engine damage is possible. There should be some external signs if it's truly reaching that temp. The sound of water boiling & alot of popping & snapping noises (like someone hitting a pipe with a hammer)would likely be heard.
You could try to run a jumper to the fan motor so you can control the fan by a switch yourself. See if when the fan is on continuous, it keeps the temp at a stable 190-210 deg. range.
That may tell you if it's a temp problem or just an indication error.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by kawired636
I just noticed mine started doin the same thing, when i stoped at the light, the temp,went up to 220, so i pulled over and i noticed that the radiator was making a noise like" boilling water"; after 2 min. stoped.
I wouldn't worry about 220, my fan used to come on around 225 or so. The tech who worked on mine said the normal range for the fan to come on is 225-229. I should stay on until the temp drops back down to 217 or so. The boiling water noise is something you should defintetely look into, though.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Shooper

What temp does your bike run at while cruising a steady 65-70mph on the highway?

If your bike was truly overheating, it would more than likely be pushing fluid overboard, into the overflow can or onto the ground if the bottle fills.
That temp of 247 is very high & bordering on the range that engine damage is possible. There should be some external signs if it's truly reaching that temp. The sound of water boiling & alot of popping & snapping noises (like someone hitting a pipe with a hammer)would likely be heard.
You could try to run a jumper to the fan motor so you can control the fan by a switch yourself. See if when the fan is on continuous, it keeps the temp at a stable 190-210 deg. range.
That may tell you if it's a temp problem or just an indication error.
When cruising at highway speed, the temp stays below 200. It's only when I get caught up in traffic that I have trouble. I might put a switch directly to the fan, just so I can ride it a little bit more. I need to get this fixed by the dealer, because the bike is still under the extended Kawi warranty until Apri 07. Thanks for the input, keep it coming. BTW, what do you guys think about Engine Ice?

·
Registered
451 Posts
I had a service tech tell me not to worry unless it gets in the 250 range. Around 225 on a hot day is high, but won't do any long term damage.

In the hot summers, my 2205 gets to be about 217, but thats as high as its gone.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Check the gap on your spark plugs. I had one gapped to tight which caused mine to overheat. Re-gapped it and it was fine.

·
Registered
285 Posts

When cruising at highway speed, the temp stays below 200. It's only when I get caught up in traffic that I have trouble. I might put a switch directly to the fan, just so I can ride it a little bit more. I need to get this fixed by the dealer, because the bike is still under the extended Kawi warranty until Apri 07. Thanks for the input, keep it coming. BTW, what do you guys think about Engine Ice?
It sounds like the temp indication is relatively close by the way your highway speed temp is normal operating range.
I agree if it's still a warranty deal then let the dealer do the troubleshooting & repair work.

If you choose to try a few things though, after a long ride let the bike cool completely & pop the radiator cap off & insure the system if completely full. My Triumph Daytona that I recently sold was a real pain to fill the cooling system. It would get airlocked until you ran the bike a few heat cycles & burp the air bubble out of it, then another quart or so of coolant could be added. Possible you have a similar problem.

Water Wetter does work well but you shouldn't have to use it just to keep from ovrheating. I think many people use it in place of antifreeze for track day use where antifreeze is usually forbidden.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.