Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That looks even better than the way I have my tag mounted! Nice job. I knew all along that the Targa Kit was unnessasary.(spelling) Now you just need some flush mounts for the rear fairing.;) That is exactly how I did mine. I'll upload pics when I find out how.

Dont quote me boi cause I aint said shit!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Jgazhail
I do have what they call "flush mount" signals on. Are you talking about "true" flush mount signals. Where a hole would be drilled in the ferring and the signal placed inside of there, it would be completely flush with the ferring? If so, I'd LOVE to see that.
Hmmmm... now you got me thinking.
The only problem is that if it were totally flush it would be on an angle facing the ground. Unless the signal was inside the tail light or mounted onto 2 of the four holes on the plate.

The bottom of my plate is about 4" from the top of my hugger. Do you guys think it might hit the hugger?

Thank God for Guardian Angels... Especially This One!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I went to home depot and bought metal corner brackets. 2"x2" a package of 4 costs only 29 cents! I atached the plate between the painted part and the black plastic part of the undertail. The '03 model's tail is higher than most other bikes so the plate can still be seen perfectly from every angle. Here are some pics of the mod.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Wow, that looks really nice! How did you attach the brackets? Were holes already present, or did you have to drill them?

inca jones

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it is a "true" flush mount. I have one tiny hole drilled in each side of the ferring where the turn signals go. They are extremly bright so it works out pretty well.
If anyone even cares to see it just school me really quickly on how to post pics on here or just email me for pics;) [email protected]

Originally posted by tommyboynjataol

Jgazhail
I do have what they call "flush mount" signals on. Are you talking about "true" flush mount signals. Where a hole would be drilled in the ferring and the signal placed inside of there, it would be completely flush with the ferring? If so, I'd LOVE to see that.
Hmmmm... now you got me thinking.
The only problem is that if it were totally flush it would be on an angle facing the ground. Unless the signal was inside the tail light or mounted onto 2 of the four holes on the plate.

The bottom of my plate is about 4" from the top of my hugger. Do you guys think it might hit the hugger?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey I just noticed after my last post, that you do have your taillights mounted on there they are just on the bottom. That is very interesting. Acually a very good Idea, unless someone is looking at them from a small distance. I would think that they wouldn't be able to see which light is blinking "left or right".
How does that work out?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
No, I had to take the bottom painted part of the undertail off and drill a 2 tiny holes under it. Then screw the brackets in and then put the painted part back on. Th holes are drilled wound up being perfectly on each side of the fuse pannel. So putting a nut on is easy. I like it because the mounting brackets are completely hidden. Also , yes, my 2 rear signals are LED's. They are bright at night but just so so durring the day or from an angle. Thay are LP flush mount LED signals. And the front signals are also LP's but the IRADIUM flush mount BULBs not LEDs.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Tom,

Looks good but you better be careful that is does not get banged up from rear wheel travel. If you compress the rear hard enough it is going to crush the plate or even worse cause some other problems. Just something to think about, I have seen it happen on other bikes when they are mounted in spots similar to yours.

Mike
99 R6 Street - Sold
00 R6 Track
03 KTM 200SX
03 ZX-6R Street

·
Registered
78 Posts
Originally posted by MikeK

Tom,

Looks good but you better be careful that is does not get banged up from rear wheel travel. If you compress the rear hard enough it is going to crush the plate or even worse cause some other problems. Just something to think about, I have seen it happen on other bikes when they are mounted in spots similar to yours.

Mike
99 R6 Street - Sold
00 R6 Track
03 KTM 200SX
03 ZX-6R Street
I agree also. My friend lost his plate and damaged his hugger doing a stoppie with his plate mounted in almost the same area. Be careful.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
thank guys, but I definately tested it out. The 03 model has more clearance room in the rear to mount it. I also trimed away some of the plate. The plate was 4"7" now its 3 1/4 x 6 1/4. I have 3" clearance from the bottom of the plate to the top of the hugger. I also compressed the suspension and it didn't hit the plate. I have ridden a few hundred miles like this so far and still hasn't hit. I also had a chick on the back and still seams A O K! But If it was a fat chick on the back I deserve to have my plate and hugger ruined!:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.